Please help cache containers being stolen in Bucks

CaptainJack.

I have found that the ammo box container from my cache "Rossway - Just an Old Box" GC3QYG5 has been stolen. It looks as though it was a fellow cacher who has taken it, as they have swapped it for a plastic container and moved across all of the cache contents as well as taking the time to stick the existing geocache information card into the lid of the new container. Unfortunately there have been previous occasions when new logbooks have been taken from my caches, and also containers have been taken or swapped. I have had my suspicions in the past that a particular fellow cacher has been responsible for this. I would be grateful if anyone in Beds Bucks or Herts could contact me if they notice any new caches appear with an ammo box container. Or, if anyone has any information at all, please contact me. I spend quite a lot of time, effort and money creating and maintaining my caches, and this sort of thing is quite frankly underhand, sly and devious. In fact, I am considering closing down all of my cache hides. Any help or information will be gratefully received.

That really sucks and I am sorry to hear it, CJ. I have had about 6 ammo cans nicked myself and in most (but not all) cases, the cache contents were left behind (not in a nice box, but in a Tesco bag).It has also happend to some of the old Hornet caches in our area in the past. Other novelty cache containers have gone missing too, including my fake pigeon in Hockridge Woods, which is not too far from your Rossway series. When this happens, I do like to assume it's NOT cachers, even though of course that suspicion always comes to mind. It is still the summer holidays and kids will have been around the place and have been into everything.... however in your case, sadly it does sound like it may have been a cacher. It's not nice to think that a fellow player could do this, but of course caching encompasses all sorts of people including I suppose, some who idley look at it for a while, don't really buy into it and then after a while get bored and do something else. There's nothing much to add to this except to say I hope it does not put you off setting all your very enjoyable series. I for one appreciate the quantity of local caches that you have set and which mean that I don't have to travel too far to get my caching fix. Please consider coming along to some of our local events and meet up with fellow cachers from your area. You will discover that the vast majority of us are nice people who appreciate your efforts. We also have a Beds, Bucks and Herts group on Facebook if you are on there, which you are more than welcome to join and can 'meet' a fair number of us in there. Nil illegitimi carborundum!

I've had a couple of ammo cans stolen in the past. The first was my original Dark Deeds at St Mary's cache when someone took a small ammo can and left the contents in a carrier bag. The second was a large ammo can and in that case, the thief left the contents in a large plastic screw top container covered in camo duck tap and complete with cache sticker. At my recently archived Wicked Lady cache, the thief took all the contents including the log book but left the empty large ammo can! After the second can was taken, I removed all references to ammo cans from the cache pages of my other caches that use them and if any logs come in that make reference to them, I've asked the finder to edit it out of their log. So far, they've all been happy to do so.

We once found the contents of a cache in a nice tupperware container even though the cache was supposed to be in an ammo can. We have had our ammo cans stolen. We no longer indicate which of our caches are in ammo cans. When I read about a cache by a newbie that is in an ammo can, I often write to them to suggest that they dont mention ammo can on the cache page.

Sucks, but to redress the balance of human nature a little, I recently found a letterbox on Dartmoor that had been out since the early 90's, two yards from a geocache which itself had been out for several - without being stolen and without any maintenance, the logbook, although full and a little damp, was an interesting read. Both were ammocans.

Few options ............ :unsure:

try PM only, see if that works?

(yes I know some of you hate them, I always swore I would never do it, but it worked for me!)

Use Ammo boxes only for (hard) multi/puzzle/bonus caches.

Only use Ammo boxes on really long walks/up mountain tops.

Chain/padlock box to tree.

In the hint say 'do not mention cache type in log' (not all pages get read)

Always put a stash note in box (perhaps glue it to inside of lid) incase muggles find it.

Throw out a film pot instead - Noooooooooooooo - that is NOT an option!! <_<

Edited by perth pathfinders

Hi Capt.Jack.

The Premium Only idea is a good one.

By the sounds of it putting out ammo boxes may be a thing of the past for you now. But I hope not!

But I'm sure you could think of something ingenious. You seem to with other sized caches. ;)

We all look forward to hunting down your hides. And long may we carry on doing so.

Hopefully you'll get those disabled ones back up soon too. Best Wishes from a novice.

Captain Jack, please dont consider doing anything about all of your great caches because of some low life,if you do they have won. over the years i have had caches stolen and altered,nice log books gone etc for what ever reason i just sigh and replace,also travel bugs and coins go missing, but i enjoy caching so much i just forget these incidents and dont dwell on them no matter how upsetting they are at the time, i bet a cacher out there will suggest identifying caches with smart water or that blue money dye stuff. keep on caching captain jack. jeff=bones1.