Log Full - Log Replacement Etiquette

TeamTBO

We frequently come across caches where the logs are full. We'd like to help the CO out by placing a fresh new log in the cache, but we don't know what the etiquette is for removing the old full logs. Can anyone tell us what the protocol is? Thanks!

Leave the full log in the cache for the CO to take care of it. Some COs keep them. I've added plenty of new logs to caches but I dont think I've ever taken one out of a cache. Maybe a moldy wet one.

Leaving a fresh log is always a nice thing to do. :)

If the cache has room, leave the old one in there.

The problems arise when there is only room for the log, and only one log. :o

You might just do nothing, and simply state the situation in your log. If there are several previous comments about the full log, you should consider posting a 'Needs Maintenance' log, as well as your 'Found It' log.

If you decide to remove the full log and replace it, send a message to the owner and offer to get the log to them if they want it.

You might just do nothing, and simply state the situation in your log. If there are several previous comments about the full log, you should consider posting a 'Needs Maintenance' log, as well as your 'Found It' log.

If you decide to remove the full log and replace it, send a message to the owner and offer to get the log to them if they want it.

I agree with the above, except I would not put a needs maintenance log. I dont think a full log is enough reason to put a NM. I dont want to give work to the person who went to the trouble of hiding the cache. We carry logs with us and place one in full caches. If no room, I remove the old one, and inform the CO.

Our many puzzles are micros and I appreciate when cachers do minor maintenance for me.

PAul

At what point did we decide we don't have to fix, much less acknowledge that a cache that we placed needed maintenance.

I'm guessing it was the same time we decided we don't have to maintain a cache and leave it to everyone else.

Who here doesn't feel the need to replaced a full logbook.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

At what point did we decide we don't have to fix, much less acknowledge that a cache that we placed needed maintenance.

I'm guessing it was the same time we decided we don't have to maintain a cache and leave it to everyone else.

bd

There's a difference between a cache owner who refuses to maintain their caches and a cache owner who accepts someone replacing their full log.

It's like offering to grab a cup of coffee for a co-worker while you're up getting a cup for yourself. The co-worker is perfectly capable of walking to the coffee maker themselves, but it's polite to offer to get a cup for them. When the co-worker later goes for a cup of java, they likely will offer to bring one back for you.

I don't feel the need to replace a full log, but I consider it a common courtesy.

bd

There's a difference between a cache owner who refuses to maintain their caches and a cache owner who accepts someone replacing their full log.

It's like offering to grab a cup of coffee for a co-worker while you're up getting a cup for yourself. The co-worker is perfectly capable of walking to the coffee maker themselves, but it's polite to offer to get a cup for them. When the co-worker later goes for a cup of java, they likely will offer to bring one back for you.

I don't feel the need to replace a full log, but I consider it a common courtesy.

Cool. So you worked it out with the owner so they wouldn't make an unnecessary trip. Like two days after the first report.

I agree with the above, except I would not put a needs maintenance log. I dont think a full log is enough reason to put a NM. I dont want to give work to the person who went to the trouble of hiding the cache. We carry logs with us and place one in full caches. If no room, I remove the old one, and inform the CO.

Our many puzzles are micros and I appreciate when cachers do minor maintenance for me.

PAul

I agree 100 %......IMO carrying spare logs should be something that all cachers do ( I've replaced several hundred and carry a bagful )

If you can't sign a log because its full or wet and choose to not assist the caching community in field maintenance then please don't log it as a find ( 99%+ do )...." no sign, no find ".

We have replaced wet/full logs, or placed a good size of paper in the container if big enough. I have taken a choca block full log out before now and relaced it with a new one when the container has been a tiny one, butI always notify the CO with an email asking if they want it (old one). No one has asked for the full one, but sometimes I get an email in return thanking me. I wouldn't mind in the least if someone was good enough to replace a log of one of mine if needed before I could get to it. When I first started i didn't jnow you could do this, so now I carry different size logs with me just in case.

Notify the cache owner that the log is full and leave it at that, it is not your province to go replacing or maintaining some other persons cache. We do not have a community maintenance standard, it is individual to the owner and the owner takes responsibility when they hide. It is for this reason that some people do not hide, they find but do not hide.

I know I don't have to. However, I like to help out my fellow cachers whenver possible, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You should try it. :)

I've never had a reason to replace a log for an active cacher.

I'm with Blue Deuce. I prefer that people don't replace our logs. Leave a small sheet of paper to tide the cache over for a week would be nice (and let us know in the online log). I like finders to let us know when the logbook was almost full (enough room for about 5 more logs), which gives us some time to get out to replace it. If someone took my logbook I'd ask if they could return it to the cache. I wouldn't be comfortable giving a stranger our home address.

This pretty much covers what I would say.

I've added plenty of new log books to caches and or repaired caches (generally early spring when they come out from under the frozen snow). Depending on how I am caching (via mtn bike or with my young boys) I tend to carry one regular cache (complete), a number of ziplock bags and a pack of dollar store note books. I'll also carry a bunch of nano and micro log strips.

If a nano or micro is full and I know the cacher is a local, I'll replace it and contact the owner so they can meet up to obtain the log if they want it.

If I repair a cache (with NM attribute or not), I'll inform the CO so they are in the know, and can remove the NM attribute if exists.

In all honesty, not this year, but the previous, I replaced/repaired too many caches. I had actually impacted my own supplies to the point where I had to start letting caches go.

Now, if the cache is worthy, I'll still repair/replace the log book. If its a toss in place cache, I'll let it go.

Sorry, went a bit off topic.

I started carrying cache supplies a few months ago. Right after the Groundspeake Weekly Newsletter suggested it was a good idea to help each other out. If a log is full or soaked I add a log if there's room. If not I replace the log and email the CO and let them know I have the log if they want it. I've probably replaced 10 to 12 and I've had a total of one CO respond. That CO didn't want the log. I also replace baggies and even containers. Containers only if it was found and is damaged beyond being able to keep a log safe. I see no reason not to save a CO a whatever mile trip to some tree with a broken pill bottle in it if I have one with me.