What's your best cache?

If someone said to me, What's your best cache I would have no hesitation in saying

Sherlock Holmes and the one fingered bandit

In my eyes it's one of the best caches in Brighton, the puzzle is not difficult but the final location is very unexpected. It has 100% Favourite points from premium members but has not been found for over a year. :(

So what's your favourite cache you own?

Chris

If someone said to me, What's your best cache I would have no hesitation in saying

In my eyes it's one of the best caches in Brighton, the puzzle is not difficult but the final location is very unexpected. It has 100% Favourite points from premium members but has not been found for over a year. :(

Chris

Puzzle looks great and who can resist Sherlock Holmes?

The Sherlock Holmes one does look great - I'm remember that if I get to Brighton.

My cache that I'm most proud of is GC3BP0H The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

It is a Wherigo - so not everyone's cup of tea, and not everyone has the kit to do it. But it is the one which took me the most effort, and generally finders seem to enjoy it.

Edited by redsox_mark

Of the caches that I've set, the one that has the most 'Favourite' points awarded by other cachers is "Your Mission.... (GCKZ29)" but my own personal favourite, the one that I got the most pleasure and satisfaction from researching and setting was "The Wicked Lady (GCHGYJ)", now archived.

Both were set in 2004 (that must have been a good year), before cachers became obsessed with numbers and both were 'found' fairly frequently even though they both require a lot of effort. "The Wicked Lady" was archived earlier this year after being muggled. I decided not to replace it as the number of finders over the last few years had dwindled to a handful and it just was no longer worth the effort of maintaining. I suspect that "Your Mission..." will go the same way as it's only had one finder in the last year, and that was a Dutch team who started it whilst on holiday last year and came back this year to finish it.

Ho hum......... :(

The one I'm most proud of has to be Stupa time . It's not got the most favourite points of my caches. It's not even the most effort I put into setting up a cache. My Wherigo caches took a lot of effort to setup.

I must admit I don't get the lack of favourite points. Perhaps because most people found it before favourites were implimented. It certainly had some good comments.

It was however just a lucky find by myself as I grew up in the area, passed by on many dog walks or school sponsored walks and yet never knew the existed.

When I was setting up Arthur's Seat Earthcache, I genuinely thought that it was mediocre and probably wouldn't get many visits. But I liked it and kept it. Out of my caches it most definitely has the most favourite points and out of the UK Earthcaches it has currently nearly double the amount of favourite points of any other UK Earthcache. So for me that is an achievement (albeit not an important one) so it is my favourite cache that I own.

I must admit I don't get the lack of favourite points. Perhaps because most people found it before favourites were implimented. It certainly had some good comments.
You can still give an old find a favorite point. I dished them out when I first got myself a premium account about 2 weeks and 10 finds after I started caching. And I'm not leaving those fave points on the same caches either. If something better comes along, I'm happy to move them too.

Chris

That cache was out of action between October and January, so the "not been found for over a year" bit isn't quite all it seems.

Another creative way to advertise your cache though!

Of my recent caches, I quite like Sherlock Holmes and Buxton's Treasure because of the "Conan Doyling" of the description to turn a simple puzzle into an amusing conundrum. There are so many others that I'm pleased with, but perhaps Subterranean Homesick Blues is the best, for a challenging puzzle with many twists and turns, and a final cache in a really good spot.

I love setting puzzles where you could just give a simple mind-teasing task in two lines of text, but instead you dress it up in an entertaining story with sounds, pictures and so on. Like my most recent, Robin Hood - The Sequel. Enough of this cache advertising!

I have few caches that I own that I am "passionate" about since being ill, we have gone from over 200 hides to less than 30 in a year...

Two caches off the top of my head I would strive to maintain are

Another Wee Cache ... we were very kindly given this container by Snaik, it took quite a while to find somewhere to hide it and gets some great logs

and

Irresistable Opportunity .. which we keep going in the memory of JerryO a local cacher who died last year :(

Of course we have others we maintain, but these two are my favourite hides

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

For me it probably isn't the caches themselves that are favourites but the places they have taken me.

After moving to Cumbria walking around the Lake District is a must.

The two best walks I have done are as below.

• Grasmoor was a real climb from the ground going up in the clouds and I nearly turned back with a few hundred feet to go. The cache took a little hunting but was soon found. On leaving Grasmoor I went to Wandhope and Whiteless Edge / Pike where the views were amazing. That cache helped me get to those places even though there was no need to visit them it was all part of a planned walk that I wanted to do.
  • I had also planned a walk to Seat Sadal with either an easy walk down the other side or up to Fairfield. However when I met another hiker whilst admiring the views up at Seat Sadal he told me that a hard climb up Dollywaggon Pike meant that there was an easy walk to progress along to Nethermost Pike Helvellyn and Helluva long walk!.

On both of these walks the caches were there. They were an added bonus for a planned walk through some of the best countryside and views that you will ever see.

Now if you want a cache / series that someone has placed a lot of thought and work in to creating then check out the R&B series of caches. I didn't manage to find them all on the walk but the actual caches are made up from all sorts including Balls, Cocounuts and speicallly shaped pieces of wood to hide them well. They certainly take some looking for (some are very easy) but if you find them all you will see that its not just a 35mm cannister that has been thrown in a bush. Took me to local places I had never been to.

I'm sure every cacher has a memory of something special, it may be location or it may be the cache itself.

Thank you to all the CO's out there who take time and their money to provide for us all.

For me it probably isn't the caches themselves that are favourites but the places they have taken me.

After moving to Cumbria walking around the Lake District is a must.

The two best walks I have done are as below.

• Grasmoor was a real climb from the ground going up in the clouds and I nearly turned back with a few hundred feet to go. The cache took a little hunting but was soon found. On leaving Grasmoor I went to Wandhope and Whiteless Edge / Pike where the views were amazing. That cache helped me get to those places even though there was no need to visit them it was all part of a planned walk that I wanted to do.
  • I had also planned a walk to Seat Sadal with either an easy walk down the other side or up to Fairfield. However when I met another hiker whilst admiring the views up at Seat Sadal he told me that a hard climb up Dollywaggon Pike meant that there was an easy walk to progress along to Nethermost Pike Helvellyn and Helluva long walk!.

On both of these walks the caches were there. They were an added bonus for a planned walk through some of the best countryside and views that you will ever see.

Now if you want a cache / series that someone has placed a lot of thought and work in to creating then check out the R&B series of caches. I didn't manage to find them all on the walk but the actual caches are made up from all sorts including Balls, Cocounuts and speicallly shaped pieces of wood to hide them well. They certainly take some looking for (some are very easy) but if you find them all you will see that its not just a 35mm cannister that has been thrown in a bush. Took me to local places I had never been to.

I'm sure every cacher has a memory of something special, it may be location or it may be the cache itself.

Thank you to all the CO's out there who take time and their money to provide for us all.

Several caches mentioned above but none of them are yours as per the point of this thread :unsure:

Several caches mentioned above but none of them are yours as per the point of this thread :unsure:

Apologies a quick read of the original post and I missed the bit about owning the cache.:blink: Must have been because the thread started talking about favourite caches.

I'm hoping to place some before long.

I have placed a few caches around Berkshire over the past year but I guess the ones I think will get most appreciation are the Twin Lanes Trail I placed a few weeks back.

I can't say too much but one of them has a "Dummy Obvious" hide that entices the searcher to assume they have sussed it really easily, they then see the note burnt on to the inner stem stating "Nope Try Again" !!!

The person whom got the FTF stated he burst out laughing even though he was alone in a wood so I reckon that was mission accomplished :lol:

The rest of the series is designed to bring a smile to the searchers faces and the youngsters that have accompanied the adults have had a great time assisting and taking over from the older ones.

Wish I could say more but hey that's all part of the fun :)

John