Oregon x50 software version 5.90

coggins

Change History

Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:

* Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.

* Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.

Notes:

* IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 4.80 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:

If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:

1. Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.

2. Delete the /Garmin/GPX folder from the handheld's mass storage.

3. Update the handheld's software via WebUpdater and reboot the handheld.

4. Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.

Just finished a test of v5.90, it FAILS exactly as did v5.80. So Tempe will have to wait for a fix of the track errors.

The two main errors I've seen are:

• A straight line is added to consecutive tracks, connecting end to begining
  • That straight line distance is added to the odometer reading

A work around likely exists, too much bother.

Firmware version 5.50 had neither of these defects, I'll be going back to v5.50.

Bummer :(

Just finished a test of v5.90, it FAILS exactly as did v5.80. So Tempe will have to wait for a fix of the track errors.

Firmware version 5.50 had neither of these defects, I'll be going back to v5.50.

I'm involved with a GPS mapping project for our regional trail conference and state parks. I've run into this straight line track issue as well as the odometer issue on the Montana. Bove have the potential to ruin the entire thing if I'm not real careful in the field, and even then, I'm still having problems. What's worse, I can't seem to edit out the straight track in Base Camp or Mapsource. It just puts it right back in. I'm probably going to have to use the Oregon next time out, and may never upgrade from v5.50. I'm running a real risk of going out and collecting miles and miles of tracks via hiking or biking, and then having them become completely useless.

I spoke to Garmin about this a month or two ago. One tech seemed concerned enough and was diligent in collecting information and feedback from me (I think his name was Keith). The other was utterly useless, said that this is normal behavior, and that's just the way it is (I think her name was Tiffany). I was unable to convince her that the Oregon didn't do this prior to the release of v5.80, and her demeanor was more like that of the cranky receptionist at your local doctors office. That was early/mid July and nothing changed, so I guess they don't care enough about this, or enough people aren't complaining about it.

I'm involved with a GPS mapping project for our regional trail conference and state parks. I've run into this straight line track issue as well as the odometer issue on the Montana. Bove have the potential to ruin the entire thing if I'm not real careful in the field, and even then, I'm still having problems. What's worse, I can't seem to edit out the straight track in Base Camp or Mapsource. It just puts it right back in. I'm probably going to have to use the Oregon next time out, and may never upgrade from v5.50. I'm running a real risk of going out and collecting miles and miles of tracks via hiking or biking, and then having them become completely useless.

I spoke to Garmin about this a month or two ago. One tech seemed concerned enough and was diligent in collecting information and feedback from me (I think his name was Keith). The other was utterly useless, said that this is normal behavior, and that's just the way it is (I think her name was Tiffany). I was unable to convince her that the Oregon didn't do this prior to the release of v5.80, and her demeanor was more like that of the cranky receptionist at your local doctors office. That was early/mid July and nothing changed, so I guess they don't care enough about this, or enough people aren't complaining about it.

In Basecamp, using the Select tool, click on the straight portion to select it , then get the Divide tool and "divide" it anywhere on the straight portion.

Then go over in the List area on the left and click on the track in the list that got added (probably Track 001) delete it.

If there is a second straight line, do the same sequence again.

In this forum, read all the way through the post named E Trex 20 Track Problems....to find out how to keep from getting the straight lines.

If you still have problems, go to my profile and send me a pm. I don't want to get into another p contest on the forum, but it's no big deal to fix and to not get the lines or lose any data.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Paul,

The most troubling aspect of this is Garmin's lack of concern. You and I both use our GPS units as tools to record trails. While not as accurate as the Trimbles, they are orders of magnitude better than the old "guess and by gosh" field notes that the USGS used on the source 24K Topos.

I'm pretty sure the straight line can be deleted but I typically use MapSource. However the odometer is a bit more problematic. IIRC, I had to do a double reset. Since v5.50 solved all the issues and downgrading was so easy, enough said. The biggest issue with 5.50 was it put me in Olatha, KS, need to set the Oregon outside for 15-min to find home.

Have you sent an email to Garmin? MontanaBeta@Garmin.com

If I can help, let me know.

Upgraded to the new version and I sure wish I hadn't. :(

They've added an extra step now for when you want to get driving directions to a cache. I used to be able to hit 'Where To', then 'Recalculate on Road'. Now, instead, you've got to hit 'Where to', then 'Change Route activity', then you've got a ridiculous list to choose from including:

Direct Routing

Autombobile Driving

Motorcycle Driving

Cycling

Tour Cyling

Mountain Biking

Pedestrian Walking

Hiking

Mountaineering

ATV/Off Road Driving

Sorry, but surely it's more than enough to have 2: driving and walking. Actually, I don't see why routing is necessary for hiking. Surely a person can see the trails on their map and figure out the quickest way from A to B without needing so much help.

I also swear that there is a lag that wasn't there before, when I am looking around on the map. It's very annoying.

Will have to try to go back to an earlier version of the firmware. :(

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I suspect you can create a profile with just one of that list selected then never have to see it again. I've created profiles for different maps I view, rather than enable/disable.

Upgraded to the new version and I sure wish I hadn't. :(

They've added an extra step now for when you want to get driving directions to a cache. I used to be able to hit 'Where To', then 'Recalculate on Road'. Now, instead, you've got to hit 'Where to', then 'Change Route activity', then you've got a ridiculous list to choose from including:

Direct Routing

Autombobile Driving

Motorcycle Driving

Cycling

Tour Cyling

Mountain Biking

Pedestrian Walking

Hiking

Mountaineering

ATV/Off Road Driving

Sorry, but surely it's more than enough to have 2: driving and walking. Actually, I don't see why routing is necessary for hiking. Surely a person can see the trails on their map and figure out the quickest way from A to B without needing so much help.

I also swear that there is a lag that wasn't there before, when I am looking around on the map. It's very annoying.

Will have to try to go back to an earlier version of the firmware. :(

Change History

* Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.

* Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.

Notes:

* IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 4.80 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:

If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:

1. Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.

4. Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.

No mention of fixing the track and odometer errors introduced in v5.80 . . . PASS!!!

Thanks for the post.

That should be Oregon.Beta@garmin.com for the Oregon series GPSr.

He has a Montana, you clearly didn't read his message, TROLL.

MtnHermit, anyone can read through this thread and see that in each post it is the Oregon x50 firmware being discussed. Have you read the TITLE of the Thread yet? "Oregon x50 software version 5.90 (WebUpdater)" - No mention of the Garmin Montana until you incorrectly gave the Montana Beta email for users to send bugs for the Oregon x50.

You even mention firmware 5.50 for the Oregon x50 series one line above where you gave the Montana Beta email address in the same post!

As for the UGLY troll remarks, I am going to assume you are having a very bad morning, and need more coffee or meds.

Either way, I hope it all gets better for you.

BTW, MtnHermit, I just checked your profile, and I can see you have been a member since 2007. In that time you have amassed a total of one hidden cache, and zero found caches. Who, I wonder, is the TROLL here?

Edited by Atlas Cached

Change History

Notes:

No mention of fixing the track and odometer errors introduced in v5.80 . . . PASS!!!

Thanks for the post.

That should be Oregon.Beta@garmin.com for the Oregon series GPSr.

He has a Montana, you clearly didn't read his message, TROLL.

MtnHermit, anyone can read through this thread and see that in each post it is the Oregon x50 firmware being discussed. Have you read the TITLE of the Thread yet? "Oregon x50 software version 5.90 (WebUpdater)" - No mention of the Garmin Montana until you incorrectly gave the Montana Beta email for users to send bugs for the Oregon x50.

You even mention firmware 5.50 for the Oregon x50 series one line above where you gave the Montana Beta email address in the same post!

As for the UGLY troll remarks, I am going to assume you are having a very bad morning, and need more coffee or meds.

Either way, I hope it all gets better for you.

BTW, MtnHermit, I just checked your profile, and I can see you have been a member since 2007. In that time you have amassed a total of one hidden cache, and zero found caches. Who, I wonder, is the TROLL here?

The name calling is silly since we are talking about GPS tracklogs, not world peace. In any event, to clairfy for those concerned, I own BOTH a Montana and an Oregon. The odometer/track issue has plagued the Montana since launch, and was just introduced on the Oregon post version 5.50.

Thanks to user grasscatcher for the tips -- when time permits I plan to try it. Thanks Mtn hermit for your feedback also. As for the issue, I feel Garmin should fix it and we shouldn't have to rely on work arounds and time consuming data mining. This track logging / odometer counting defies logic to me. But, just my 2 cents.

I suspect you can create a profile with just one of that list selected then never have to see it again. I've created profiles for different maps I view, rather than enable/disable.

Thanks for the suggestion, I gave it a try and couldn't figure how to do that, unfortuantely.

I also haven't found any way to go back to the earlier version so I guess I'm stuck with it. <_<

Edited by The_Incredibles_

@ Mtn Hermit

If you set and operate your unit where you don't get the "straight lines" then I can't see how it would add distance to the odometer.....(Does it ?). It's pure operator choice in settings as to whether or not they are created.

If you don't create them in the first place, then there are no deletions or work arounds. It's your choice and your choice alone........so why would anyone think that Garmin has a "Problem " or "Bug" that they are not fixing?

I have logged literally several thousand miles of trails and presently use a Map 78S,an Oregon 550, and a Map 76CSx. All with latest vers of software....I don't get the "straight lines".

New operators I can understand having a problem, but it's really puzzling that several "experienced" posters in this thread and the one on the "ETrex 20 Track Problems" are stumped. Read that thread and you can see why you either get them or not.

What am I missing?

New operators I can understand having a problem, but it's really puzzling that several "experienced" posters in this thread and the one on the "ETrex 20 Track Problems" are stumped. Read that thread and you can see why you either get them or not.

Could you provide a link to that thread? The search function isn't finding it.

Or better yet, paste the workaround or fix here. Apparently it's a pretty big issue for a lot of people, and I for one have never heard of a fix for it.

Edited by sduck

In that time you have amassed a total of one hidden cache, and zero found caches. Who, I wonder, is the TROLL here?

In the Hermits defense there are alot of people who post in the GPS and Tech forum that don't really geocache that often. We're more into the tech and GPS aspect of the discussion. MTNHermit can get grumpy but as far as I know he's no troll.

We're all on the same team, well, most of us. :)

If you set and operate your unit where you don't get the "straight lines" then I can't see how it would add distance to the odometer.....(Does it ?). It's pure operator choice in settings as to whether or not they are created.

If you don't create them in the first place, then there are no deletions or work arounds. It's your choice and your choice alone........so why would anyone think that Garmin has a "Problem " or "Bug" that they are not fixing?

Because oregons used to NOT create the straight lines by default.

My first garmin gps was a gpsmap 60c, and I later upgraded to a 60csx. Both of these kept beautiful track logs - never a straight line between stop and start points if the gps was started up in a different location. The software knew to shut down the track on power off, and restart once a position lock was attained on power up.

When I upgraded to the oregon, at first it had the straight line problem, but as of software 4.30 (I think) it was fixed, and worked wonderfully until version 5.80, where the lines started appearing again.

Hence, this is a bug that garmin needs to fix, and should as soon as possible in my opinion.

You've mentioned that there is a fix for this, but I've searched, and can't find a thread with the name you've stated twice now. I've also PM'd you - hope you got it! If this is a fix, and not a workaround, I'd love to hear it. I've searched all the settings in my oregon and can't find anything that relates to this.

Aha - that thread is here - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=300841

The "solution" there is a workaround to a recently introduced bug. A bug that garmin fixed before, and that hopefully they can fix again.

It's just a matter of the firmware placing a stop mark at the end of the current track upon powering off, and upon powering on starting a new track (recorded in the same current.gpx file) once a decent location fix is achieved. If this is done successfully every time, no lines!

This workaround requires 3-5 extra steps (depending on which page the track manager is on) to perform the same job that the unit used to do automatically. Fo some people this workaround may be an ideal solution - for my useage in saving many separate tracks from many driving trips to google earth it's just too many steps, both while out recording the tracks and later, transferring them all.

An easier solution is to just revert to firmware version 5.50 - if you don't need or want the new "features", it's an excellent solution!

I also haven't found any way to go back to the earlier version so I guess I'm stuck with it. <_<

It's not hard - but be aware that you'll lose all your user settings. Your current saved waypoints, geocaches and such, installed maps and tracks will still be there, so it's not like completely starting from scratch - for me it just means changing 4 or 5 settings to my preferences.

Instructions below are for the x50 version of oregons. BTW back up all your old stuff just in case before doing this!

Go to this page - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50 - and download the one you want - use ones that have (gcd) next to them, like the 5.50 one - here's the direct link for that - http://www.garmin.com/software/Oregonx50_WebUpdater__550.gcd - then you'll need to rename that file to gupdater.gcd, then move it onto your oregon into the device memory (not the sd card) into the /garmin directory. Then unplug from the computer, and restart the oregon - it'll ask you about installing an older version, are you sure, all that, click yes, and your done!

Aha - that thread is here - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=300841

The "solution" there is a workaround to a recently introduced bug. A bug that garmin fixed before, and that hopefully they can fix again.

It's just a matter of the firmware placing a stop mark at the end of the current track upon powering off, and upon powering on starting a new track (recorded in the same current.gpx file) once a decent location fix is achieved. If this is done successfully every time, no lines!

This workaround requires 3-5 extra steps (depending on which page the track manager is on) to perform the same job that the unit used to do automatically. Fo some people this workaround may be an ideal solution - for my useage in saving many separate tracks from many driving trips to google earth it's just too many steps, both while out recording the tracks and later, transferring them all.

An easier solution is to just revert to firmware version 5.50 - if you don't need or want the new "features", it's an excellent solution!

Exactly.

While some here prefer to insult others and accuse them of not knowing how to use their GPSr, we can point out the workaround for a recurring bug that Garmin has put in some firmwares and removed from others.

The simple fix would be for Garmin to instruct all GPSr units to archive/save current recorded track at power up. This could also be made a user configurable option so we can choose the behavior we want.

I say at Power On because there are too many variables to do it at power down... Your batteries may die, or the unit may crash, not giving the GPSr enough time to archive/save the track recording at that time.

Simply archiving the Track Recording at Power On would solve this issue for everyone.

Moderator's note Play nice with each other. Please refrain from name calling. Additionally, there is no reason to believe that Garmin reads these posts, so please use this forum for discussing new features or how to work around issues, but don't think that making wishes here will result in any change on how it works. File bugreports with Garmin if you want change.

I don't understand where the "3-5 extra steps" concept is coming from???

I use "Archive Daily" (next best thing to "Archive at Power On". You watch, someone will think that "Archiving at Power on" is TOTALLY inadequate and will want auto archiving every XX minutes. Archiving alone is not the solution.

It's the combination of how you have your unit archiving and clearing the log pre trip (to get rid of pre trip garbage) and saving at the end (to keep post trip garbage from being included).

At the beginning of a hike/trip I clear the track log and at the end I "save" it...... Easy, clean,individual trip/track log with no "lines" or other extra data points either on the unit or in downloaded data. Isn't that what the original complaint was?

On some of the older units (pre current file structure units) you could force the unit to start a new, separate, active log file by turning unit off the back on.

If you have logging turned on, then the unit is logging anytime it is powered on whether or not it's getting good signal or not. Your settings and operating procedure just control whether or not some of that bogus data is attached to valid data that you want to keep.

So...isn't that just a matter of understanding your unit and how to use it's various settings and capabilities to accomplish what you need and not get what you don't need?

As was said before, no big deal. Especially since I don't have the problem.

It's not hard - but be aware that you'll lose all your user settings. Your current saved waypoints, geocaches and such, installed maps and tracks will still be there, so it's not like completely starting from scratch - for me it just means changing 4 or 5 settings to my preferences.

Instructions below are for the x50 version of oregons. BTW back up all your old stuff just in case before doing this!

Go to this page - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50 - and download the one you want - use ones that have (gcd) next to them, like the 5.50 one - here's the direct link for that - http://www.garmin.com/software/Oregonx50_WebUpdater__550.gcd - then you'll need to rename that file to gupdater.gcd, then move it onto your oregon into the device memory (not the sd card) into the /garmin directory. Then unplug from the computer, and restart the oregon - it'll ask you about installing an older version, are you sure, all that, click yes, and your done!

Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help, I'll give it a go. :D

The save and clear workaround is valid, however not always convenient in my opinion. If you were involved with our mapping projects, you'd understand.

Also of note, as I've stated, the save and clear workaround is valid. However, it doesn't solve the odometer problem. The excess mileage is still added even with a cleared track log. Furthermore, if you save and clear, and the unit has time to record one track point before you power it off and move, you STILL get the straight lines connecting previous end point to current start point. Best to clear at the START of your current journey. I've already made that mistake.

The point here is Garmin needs to fix this. This is too much effin around out there, and then if you forget or mix up a step in the sequence your still screwed. I also expect better from units costing hundreds. Any others concerned about this may want to contact Garmin. I will (again) when I get the chance.

Edited by gpsnavigator2012

@gpsn2012,

You're right, I'm not involved in your specific mapping project. However, I have mapped literally several thousand miles of trail(s) in snowmobile systems, atv and hiking trails so I'm not talking from complete ignorance.

The distances given by GPS odometers has never been, is not now, and never will be, as accurate as using track length after editing to remove irregular and random points. What software do you use for editing your tracks?

You mentioned "not always convenient" , maybe so, but I prefer accuracy over convenience.

The odometer is so inaccurate that I don't even have it in my series of pages that I display.If you are using distances from the odometer then your mapping project will not be accurate either....sad but true....sorry.

If you'll note, my instructions SAID to clear it at the TH/Start. After you finish and save the specific track, then what the unit logs and adds internally afterwards is unimportant because THAT is what you will Clear at the next TH. At the end of the day or mapping session, what you have is a series of accurate saved individual tracks, with no connecting lines and no bogus data.

I don't presume any expertise, but have you fellows tried the stopwatch function for recording tracks? A geocaching friend uses this feature to log bike trails with apparent success.

Are you referring to how, with the stopwatch screen open on the Oregon, or with the stopwatch dashboard active on the Montana, while logging tracks, each time you stop and restart the stopwatch, the current track is saved and a new one started?

Hey Atlas & jholly,

I understand about Garmin and Easter eggs ! MANY times users know more than Garmin Reps....

However......I just called and specifically questioned them about that function. The rep said NO but went and got a Montana 650, then an Oregon 550, and then an Oregon 450. I waited while he personally tried all of them.

(Take this with a grain of salt) He says the stopwatch function in NO WAY affects nor is tied in anyway to track logging on any of those three units. The stopwatch is strictly that..... an electronic stopwatch....period.

Do either of you guys have any proof of that function or example gpx files? I'm really curious now.

Hey Atlas & jholly,

I understand about Garmin and Easter eggs ! MANY times users know more than Garmin Reps....

However......I just called and specifically questioned them about that function. The rep said NO but went and got a Montana 650, then an Oregon 550, and then an Oregon 450. I waited while he personally tried all of them.

(Take this with a grain of salt) He says the stopwatch function in NO WAY affects nor is tied in anyway to track logging on any of those three units. The stopwatch is strictly that..... an electronic stopwatch....period.

Do either of you guys have any proof of that function or example gpx files? I'm really curious now.

They did at one point.... But you know how Garmin likes to add and remove features with each firmware release. I will conduct some of my own research and report back... I only know about this because I read about it somewhere else, and used it successfully with my Oregon 300/450.... Now I have a Montana 650, and I have shortcuts that accomplish the same function ;-)

Edited by Atlas Cached

Hey Atlas & jholly,

They did at one point.... But you know how Garmin likes to add and remove features with each firmware release. I will conduct some of my own research and report back... I only know about this because I read about it somewhere else, and used it successfully with my Oregon 300/450.... Now I have a Montana 650, and I have shortcuts that accomplish the same function ;-)

Shortcuts? that do what? and How?

Hope my posts are relevant to the topic. Again, this is not something I use frequently enough but here is an explanation from my friend "MuStash" who uses an Oregon450.

Hi Phlatlander,

I've attached a jpg file which shows a map I made of the trails in Assiniboine Forest. Feel free to use it however you like.

I'm not sure of the complete gist of the discussion forum. But here is my technique: First of all the Oregon has to be in its default mode where it will "Record" tracks. I often turn this off now and have to remember to turn it back on through the "setup" and "tracks" menus.

Once it is in that mode, starting and stopping the Oregon's stopwatch will save a gpx file on the Oregon of the track that was travelled during that time interval. So later on, when you download your tracks to MapSource, you won't have to do a bunch of editing to snip out part of a huge file just to get the trail you want.

To make a map like this, I accumulate a bunch of these tracks in one MapSource file and display them as desired using which ever background map I prefer for the purpose (I've got a bunch). Once it is displayed the way I want it in MapSource, I take a simple screen shot using the Windows built-in shift/PrtSc function. I open Paint and paste the screen shot in there. In Paint, I'll crop and edit as desired and save it as a jpeg file. Et voila, you've got a map in a file that you can have some fun with...

Cheers,

MuStash

stopwatch_trails.jpg

Edited by phlatlander

Oh, while I had the G rep on the line asking him about the Stopwatch function and Track Logging, I mentioned that a number of folks were upset about the "straight lines".

Considering the number of folks in the posts above that essentially have expressed that I'm FOS for the way I described how to keep- from getting the "straight lines", I asked him how to do that and then did NOT interrupt,or make suggestions.......

He proceeded to explain (preaching to the choir) exactly the same method I described in the "E Trex 20"

thread.......AND THEN, without any prompting or questions from me, said....and I quote, "If you get those lines, then you don't understand how to properly set your unit. The GPS is working just like it is supposed to and just like you have told it to work by your settings"....End of Quote.

I agree 100%

@AC, Let me know what you determine on the "stopwatch method" logging tracks.

Hey Atlas & jholly,

Shortcuts? that do what? and How?

Hes referring to shortcuts on the Montana. Its a super slick feature that lets you create user defined settings (profiles, routing, maps, display screens, etc) that you change with a single tap on the shortcut icon. Example, I have an Automotive shortcut. I tap the Automotive shortcut and the GPS jumps to Automotive profile, map page displayed, turns off WAAS, backlight 100%, backlight stays on, City Navigator map, turn by turn routing, etc. Its pretty much the same settings as my nuvi. I can navigate to a cache with turn by turn spoken directions. When I get close to the cache I tap the X to go back to the main menu and a second tap on my Geocaching shortcut. This changes the GPS to the Geocaching profile, map page displayed with geocaching dashboard, turns on WAAS, backlight 100% for 2 minutes, Garmin 24K Northeast Map, direct routing, etc. Find the cache, log my results, back to car, tap X, tap Automotive shortcut and Im ready to navigate to the next cache.

Edited by Cacheoholic

Hey Atlas & jholly,

Just rechecked my Oregon 450 and 550t both with 5.90, and using the Stopwatch Dashboard in the Map Application will archive each individual track with date and time stamp each time you 'Reset' the stopwatch. :)

Edit to Add: SAME Exact behavior with my Montana 650, for those who are interested.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Hey Atlas & jholly,

Just rechecked my Oregon 450 and 550t both with 5.90, and using the Stopwatch Dashboard in the Map Application will archive each individual track with date and time stamp each time you 'Reset' the stopwatch. :)

Edit to Add: SAME Exact behavior with my Montana 650, for those who are interested.

@Atlas Cached,

Thank You !.....that's a perfect example of "Easter Eggs" and that Garmin Reps can be, and often are, incorrect/wrong/or misleading.

Thanks again.

Just like phlatlander said, and Atlas Cached tested, activating stopwatch dashboard on the map page and then using start/stop/reset on the dashboard causes a separate new gpx file to be created in \Garmin\GPX\Archive. Identified with time and date and "Stopwatch" then has extension ".gpx". Each separate file only contains the one track segment from when the stopwatch was running. No "tails" or other garbage.

I tested by walking around the block stopping watch,walking a way the reseting,then starting watch. Sometimes I stopped watch,reset immediately, then walked a ways ,then restarted. Appears that the tracklog saved is only the portion logged when watch is actually running.

No tails anywhere.

I just called Garmin Support and explained how this all came up and suggested that they might want to publish info of their "NEW FOUND" feature.

Thanks again,phlatlander and atlas cached !

Edited by Grasscatcher

I upgraded and wish I did not. Why cannot Garmin use common sense? They need to fix te straight line problem. To see if I had the problem, I powered off my 550T and then turned it back on. I got the straight line, but it was worse than that. It connected from where I turned the GPS back on with a straight line to about 1/2 mile before I turned off the GPS!!!!!

Just like phlatlander said, and Atlas Cached tested, activating stopwatch dashboard on the map page and then using start/stop/reset on the dashboard causes a separate new gpx file to be created in \Garmin\GPX\Archive. Identified with time and date and "Stopwatch" then has extension ".gpx". Each separate file only contains the one track segment from when the stopwatch was running. No "tails" or other garbage.

Thanks for that explanation, sure sounds simple enough.

Should Tempe appear, might be a way for me to find v5.90 acceptable, but I suspect the trip odometer is still screwed up w/o terminating the track as you had previously suggested. But if I understand correctly, perhaps a "track" isn't needed. Need to do some tests.

I upgraded and wish I did not. Why cannot Garmin use common sense? They need to fix te straight line problem. To see if I had the problem, I powered off my 550T and then turned it back on. I got the straight line, but it was worse than that. It connected from where I turned the GPS back on with a straight line to about 1/2 mile before I turned off the GPS!!!!!

Read #22 for the fix. Apparently this has happened before.

@myotis,

I don't understand that one......can you send me a copy of that gpx file to look at in other software?

churst40@gmail.com.