Montana Firmware Version 4.40

Barrikady

Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.40:

Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.

Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.

Added ability to view multicolored satellites on the Satellite page.

Added ability to delete multiple waypoints.

Added ability to clear the Recent Finds list.

Improved load times for geocache descriptions.

Get it here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5335

Okay...I'm at a loss. I upgraded to V4.40 directly from V4.10 (I never went to V4.20 or V4.30) so I was able to upgrade successfully. I am now able to delete "Recent Finds" and am able to see the option for "ANT Sensor". Also, I verified which version I'm using and it indeed says "V4.40". Now...how come I don't see the "Adventure" icon? It states it should be visible in the menu and when I click on "Where to". Nowhere's to be found. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to do something first? I connected it to my latest version of Base Camp and it communicates just fine. But can't find it on my GPSr. I'm using the Montana 650t.

What profile do you have active? I don't think it's listed on the Where to, but in the menu tray as below:

1346576692.jpg

Okay...I'm at a loss. I upgraded to V4.40 directly from V4.10 (I never went to V4.20 or V4.30) so I was able to upgrade successfully. I am now able to delete "Recent Finds" and am able to see the option for "ANT Sensor". Also, I verified which version I'm using and it indeed says "V4.40". Now...how come I don't see the "Adventure" icon? It states it should be visible in the menu and when I click on "Where to". Nowhere's to be found. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to do something first? I connected it to my latest version of Base Camp and it communicates just fine. But can't find it on my GPSr. I'm using the Montana 650t.

You will not find Adventures in the Where To? list unless you have Adventures loaded on the device.

What profile do you have active? I don't think it's listed on the Where to, but in the menu tray as below:

1346576692.jpg

The profile I'm using is "Geocaching" profile. I found the "Adventures" on my Base Camp software but not on my Garmin Montana. Am I supposed to first download Adventures from Base Camp *first* before seeing the "Adventure" icon, or does the "Adventure" icon automatically appear regardless after upgrading to Firmware Version 4.40? What Profile does it appear in? I haven't seen it in the "Geocaching" profile and not in the drawer either. What am I doing wrong?

1346576692.jpg

The profile I'm using is "Geocaching" profile. I found the "Adventures" on my Base Camp software but not on my Garmin Montana. Am I supposed to first download Adventures from Base Camp *first* before seeing the "Adventure" icon, or does the "Adventure" icon automatically appear regardless after upgrading to Firmware Version 4.40? What Profile does it appear in? I haven't seen it in the "Geocaching" profile and not in the drawer either. What am I doing wrong?

The v4.40 will add the Adventure icon to your Recreational profile, you will have to add it to others as wanted. You do not have to download an Adventure for this to happen, I didn't.

You do not have to download an Adventure for this to happen, I didn't.

But you do have to have at least one Adventure on your gps for the "Adventure" category to be added to the "Where To" element.

Yes, you will need to add one to be able to "Go To", kind of like geocaches. It's hard to navigate to a place you haven't the data for.

Edited by coggins

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the data fields bug on version 4.40 here. If you touch the menu button on the map screen when using the data fields dashboard, the gps shuts down. I'm still running 4.40 anyway, since that's the only bug I've found and I can avoid it.

That's a nasty bug, a showstopper for me. I spend most of my time using the map screen with the data fields dashboard - this bug renders it unusable as far as I'm concerned.

I've run into Crash 15 too. It seems to happen repeatably. The geocaching dashboard isn't that useful to me, but it looks like I'm stuck with it.

I reported it to Garmin Support. Here's hoping they get a nice flood of reports about this issue, leading to a fast fix.

Edited by JJnTJ

When using in automotive profile (in mount) the Montana used to display the speed limit with CNNT maps enabled. With 4.40 mine no longer does. Has any one else noticed this? Has any one seen a toggle for this feature in settings?

Also while in the geocache profile, caches seem to be treated as user waypoints now, and only show on the map at the zoom level of other poi's etc.

*Edit I see if zoom level of "auto" is selected then the geocaches show up at different zoom levels than other pois, would be nice if there was a separate setting for geocaches that was adjustable.

I really dont want to do another master reset, I just finished setting it all back up from the 4.30 scramble that occured.

Edited by savant9

When using in automotive profile (in mount) the Montana used to display the speed limit with CNNT maps enabled. With 4.40 mine no longer does. Has any one else noticed this? Has any one seen a toggle for this feature in settings?

Also while in the geocache profile, caches seem to be treated as user waypoints now, and only show on the map at the zoom level of other poi's etc.

*Edit I see if zoom level of "auto" is selected then the geocaches show up at different zoom levels than other pois, would be nice if there was a separate setting for geocaches that was adjustable.

I really dont want to do another master reset, I just finished setting it all back up from the 4.30 scramble that occured.

I am sure I was seeing those earlier today, will test again tomorrow and report back.

NEW BUG (dadgum)

Unable to [Delete] or [Make Favorite] any [Archived Tracks] within [Track Manager]. [Montana GPSr Wiki Post] [4.40] [06SEP12]

Saving one or more tracks with my Montana 650 v4.40, I can find them listed in [Track Manager | Archived Tracks]

Selecting any track, I have the option to [Delete] the track, and when I do, the track disappears from the list.

Exiting and re-entering [Archived Tracks] I find all deleted tracks are still present!

I attempt same process, this time instead of deleting archived tracks, I select [Make Favorite] - they disappear from the list, but also reappear after leaving and re-entering [Archived Tracks]

Seems I can not delete any archived tracks or move them from [Archived] to [Favorites].

Anyone else able to duplicate?

I'm on 4.40 and have also seen that bug. I haven't really played with the tracks much yet, but I had an archived track from when I was tinkering with the stopwatch. As you found, I wasn't able to remove it in the Track Manager, only by manually deleting when plugged into my PC.

Aside from the known sequences that cause shutdowns, the Montana has a problem with random crashes not related to any one operation. I've owned every Garmin since the 60c and never had as much freezing up and shutting down as with the Montana. It happened 4 different times yesterday in the course of an hour just working menus and tapping various items. I wish Garmin would focus on the overall stability of the Montana software. Re-booting, given the time it takes, is a real PITA when time is of the essence.

Aside from the known sequences that cause shutdowns, the Montana has a problem with random crashes not related to any one operation. I've owned every Garmin since the 60c and never had as much freezing up and shutting down as with the Montana. It happened 4 different times yesterday in the course of an hour just working menus and tapping various items. I wish Garmin would focus on the overall stability of the Montana software. Re-booting, given the time it takes, is a real PITA when time is of the essence.

Can you describe what screens you were on and what actions you were taking when these crashes occurred? Where tracks or waypoints involved?

Interesting you should say that.

When I first got my 60CSx it would routinely shut down for no apparent reason, usually when I was approaching a complex junction at speed and really needed to know which of a dozen roads I needed to take.

My Montana had a problem from the outset where trying to enter the next stage of a geocache would cause a shutdown if it was set to prompt for routing method. Now that's fixed it's been stable as anything. The only time I've had any issues is when I was using a GPX file that had become corrupted and it refused to read geocache details, I don't know if that was due to a bad file going onto it or the Montana corrupting the file, but since it only happened the once it doesn't really matter.

That said I'm still running v3.6.3 of the firmware, since I haven't seen much in the updates since then that's of any great interest.

Edited by team tisri

As stated my frequent shutdowns appear to be completely random. I don't load any GPX files and all GPX files on the unit have been generated by the unit.

Tisri, you are correct about the 60CSX and I do remember shutdowns when using that unit as well. I think the perceptual difference may be the long startup times of the newer units if you have alot of maps and birdseye imagery loaded on them. It takes over a minute and a half to boot up my unit and that's en eternity when you're trying to navigate. I wish Garmin would fix the unit software to where the .JNX files and maps were checked only once and then during each subsequent boot, unless anything has been added or changed, wouldn't keep verifying them.