Bicycle GPS Mount

Yes, that Garmin spline is nice - works very well.

I had problems with it on my bike though and had to replace the plastic bands once. This is because the only place where I can really put it is somewhere where the circumference of the handlebar is slightly varying; it's hard to get a tight fit with the bands and the thing shakes loose displacing the rubber.

The old Garmin eTrex mount (screw tightening) can be seated like a rock on the same place. Liked that design better. An option for making the new garmin mount more usable might be just slabing it in place with silicone rubber or vibration resistant glue like Silane.

...the only place where I can really put it is somewhere where the circumference of the handlebar is slightly varying; it's hard to get a tight fit with the bands and the thing shakes loose displacing the rubber.

Shim it with something -- handlebar tape, a bit of old inner tube, or maybe plumbing gasket -- before you tighten the zip ties. And after you've tightened the zip ties, wait a while and tug on them again. Use pliers if your hands aren't strong enough.

I could go either way on a mechanical clamp (solid, but heavy and limited size range) versus the zip ties (lighter, more versatile, but maybe not as secure). But I've not had a problem with the latter shaking loose.

Edited by user13371

I've seen the Garmin mounts and they seem reasonable enough for smaller units. For a larger unit I'd go with a RAM mount. I use a Montana and put the custom RAM mounting onto a handlebar attachment designed for motorbikes, simply because a few reviews of the regular bicycle mount said it broke and I'd rather not find my expensive GPS fell on the road behind me.

So far the only issue I've had is when one of the nuts worked slightly loose and the whole thing rotated around my handlebar, but a quick application of an 11mm spanner fixed it nicely.