Finders Only?

In my area there are some geocachers who have found hundreds of caches and are aggressive FTF finders always wanting more hints. However, some of these people ONLY find geocaches, they do not contribute to hiding new caches for everyone. They are premium members and it seems to me there should be a way to get these people to contribute to the hidden caches as well.

Each person plays the game differently. If you don't like their aggressive FTF tactics, don't give out hints. If you force people to place caches then you will get unimaginative hides on guardrails or 'throw downs' (an empty film canister with a blank piece of paper on the nearest stop sign that doesn't have another throw down). Let them find, don't encourage behavior you don't agree with, and play the game your own way.

There are ways to contribute to the geocaching community other than hiding geocaches.

Besides, people who can't (or who don't want to) own and maintain a cache for the long term probably contribute more to the community by NOT hiding a cache than they would by hiding a poorly maintained one.

As Viajero Perdido indicated, there is no shortage of people hiding caches. Personally, I like Groundspeak's policy against pressuring people to hide caches for challenge caches, for "seed" caches, for "curse of the FTF" games, etc. People should hide caches because they want to own and maintain them for the long term, period.

man this sounds familiar, must have been a relatively recent board....in my area there is a shortage of room for new caches. I imagine most cachers who want to find room for caches would welcome cachers who do not want to hide any.

Its not like caching has to grow anymore in most areas, so letting the ones who really want to do it should be a good thing, in theory.

Being a CO is a different breed. Its NOT for everybody. Period.

Agreed. I regularly cache with someone with over 6,000 finds, who has only 2 hides, and one of them is a coffee shop parking lot LPC. :o Cache ownership is just not for them, and it's no big deal in this day and age.

I do appreciate your sentiments, Magnus McPhee, and many have expressed similar opinions and started similar threads in the past. There was even some drama and bickering over it in my area. In like 2005, when there were like one million less caches around. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

In my area there are some geocachers who have found hundreds of caches and are aggressive FTF finders always wanting more hints. However, some of these people ONLY find geocaches, they do not contribute to hiding new caches for everyone. They are premium members and it seems to me there should be a way to get these people to contribute to the hidden caches as well.

Sounds to me as if you think other players owe you a cache to find.

man this sounds familiar, must have been a relatively recent board....in my area there is a shortage of room for new caches. I imagine most cachers who want to find room for caches would welcome cachers who do not want to hide any.

Its not like caching has to grow anymore in most areas, so letting the ones who really want to do it should be a good thing, in theory.

yes seen this pop recently. I don't see a problem with some who don't contribute. There are plenty who do and that's what counts.

Some people in my area don't hide more caches because

93cef0df-eb19-4a41-a0ec-8ff826acbc2b.jpg

I sure wish we had your problem.

I have more fun hiding and maintaining caches than I do finding them.

I also enjoy the hides as much or more then caching.

The quality of the finds over the last year or so as taken the excitement away. Creating new (creative for the area) caches and populating our fairly untouched area has been something my young boys and I really enjoy.

Aggressive FTFers? Maybe put out a series of caches with bad coordinates, that will slow em down. :D

As for the actual topic, I do agree with you, it seems kind of selfish when people find but don't hide. However, like many people have said, do you really want to force these people to hide caches if they don't want to? Also, sometimes its dadgum hard to find a free spot. Maybe they tried and couldn't put up with the frustation? Another thing to consider is that they may have finds through another account.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I agree that cache ownership is not for everyone and I applaud those who have thought through the decision to place or not. We have a caching friend with 600+ finds but he told us that he has no intention of placing any hides at this time. He has a demanding job (he's a firefighter) and a family with small children. Caching is his way of relaxing. Having to maintain caches he placed would make this a stressful hobby for him.

I do understand a little about where the OP is coming from though. There are thousands of caches within 100 miles of where we live and new ones published every month so it would take us a long time to find all of them before we were wishing that new ones were placed. But where my dad lives there are very few caches. He has found all of the traditional/regular sized ones in his area. He won't bother with micros/LPCs/GRs so he rarely caches anymore. He has placed almost 30 caches himself - all very creative and well thought out - but they don't get many finds because there aren't many cachers in the area. I'm sure he would agree that he wishes that other cachers would place caches for him to be able to find in exchange. But I know he would rather have a few good caches than have an area littered with LPCs and GRs.