GPS vs. Android

kjc9847yu

Hi there,

I'm in a dilemma, I don't know if I sould buy a GPS or an Android phone. I don't really need a new phone, since I'm not much into applications or any of that stuff, but there are some models way cheaper than GPS's.. but then I have to spend money on mobile internet and the battery lasts much less than with the GPS.. but I guess the software for GC in androids is much easier to work with and I don't have to keep uploading maps from my computer to the GPS.. I just turn on the phone and.. "look there's a cache nearby, let's see where it is"! Can I do that with a GPS? Can I see all caches nearby at the same time in the map with the GPS?

My question is: if you only think about the Geocaching alone (besides all the applications and other functionalities of an android phone or a gps) with wich one do you prefer to Geocache with and why?

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate some help! :)

I do most of my geocaching with my Android phone because it's so convenient. But if the terrain is more rugged/wet than I am comfortable carrying my phone, then I use a handheld GPSr. Or if I'm going to be geocaching longer than my phone battery will last, then I use a handheld GPSr.

However, I use the phone because I use the phone for everything else and always have it with me. If it was just for geocaching, then I'd get a handheld GPSr. Using the phone makes sense only when I've already got the phone for its "internet computer in my pocket" function.

phone pros [according to the cgeo app (best free app for geocaching)]

-most have camera

-can be cheaper

-already have geocaches loaded on there

-shows pics and a little more info

-has road navigation

gps pros (according to Magellan GC)

-you can choose what geocaches you want on there (and load up to 1000 geocaches at once)

-way better satellite in most places

-loads cache details and location instantly

-zooms in closer

-has other functions than just geocaching

I personally like my gps better. Hope you find somthing good.

I tested the capabilities of both a Magellan GC, and my android while I was on vacation in the US. The android was far superior taking me closer to targets, stronger gps signal, excellent maps, and it could hold much more in the way of offline cache details.

The only drawbacks I could actually find is that it seems that it takes a huge ammount of time if your preloading any more than 100+ caches at a time. Connecting to wifi helps this considerably but it is still slower to bulk upload the android than the Magellan GC. The other drawback is that it is much more fragile... If you were going to use your phone I would consider spending upwards of another 100 bucks to get some safety cases, and some waterproofing.. just in the case something happened.

The magellan GC disappointed me so much while caching that I'm actually in the midst of selling it, while I was on the trails it constantly lost gps signal taking upwards of an hour or more to get it back.. where my phone didn't lose it once. I'm under the assumption that more costly gps units would probably be much better than both the android and magellan GC.. but for the considerable future unless I run into trouble I'll be using my droid exclusively.

Edited by WoollySMASH

The last two posts mention the Magellan Explorist GC. This IS a low-end, beginner's handheld GPS you know. :) I happen to have one, because I received it as a gift. For an old-time GPS user like myself, it's really not a bad unit, as handheld GPS's go.

This is an interesting question though, you don't really need the new phone, and you don't really use all the other capabilities of a smartphone. How much would the Android cost you? By you saying you don't really "need it", I'm assuming you don't have an upgrade, and you'd have to drop a few hundred dollars? You can get a pretty darn good handheld GPS for a few hundred dollars. Now if you're talking $100 bucks for the Android vs. the low end GPS units, there might be a serious debate here.

I just turn on the phone and.. "look there's a cache nearby, let's see where it is"! Can I do that with a GPS? Can I see all caches nearby at the same time in the map with the GPS?

Yes, to this. If you get a premium membership ($30/year), you can use pocket queries to easily and quickly load thousands of local geocaches on your GPS at one time. So whenever you go out, they're there. Depends on your GPS how many; my GPS takes 5000. Now, if you're traveling alot, a smartphone can be more convenient. However, you can use pocket queries for traveling too, as long as you know where you're going ahead of time.

My question is: if you only think about the Geocaching alone (besides all the applications and other functionalities of an android phone or a gps) with wich one do you prefer to Geocache with and why?

A GPS definately. We have many areas here where there is no cell service. It would be kind of lame to be caching and the cell service cuts out. Do I want to be out in the middle of a forest and get lost? Nope. Other than that, my GPS has lots of functions a smartphone doesn't.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

The last two posts mention the Magellan Explorist GC. This IS a low-end, beginner's handheld GPS you know. :) I happen to have one, because I received it as a gift. For an old-time GPS user like myself, it's really not a bad unit, as handheld GPS's go.

My first GPS was a Magellan Explorist GC. I have to say I was very happy with it. I returned it and got an Oregon 550, but that was only because I had the money at the time and wanted a larger screen, touch screen, and all the bells and whistles. If I was on a budget, which I am now, I would not hesitate to buy a GC again.

I would not consider a GC 'low end'. It has paperless geocaching for starters. I also don't agree that it is a "beginner's GPS". I've seen lots of seasoned cachers using them.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I use both an Android and a GPSr. I use my Android quite a bit simply because it is always with me and convenient. When I'm out for a day of caching, I will use my GPSr instead. The GPSr has better signal, especially in the woods or around power lines. Also has better battery life and far more durable. One advantage of an Android that wasn't mentioned is more apps. There is a Wherigo app and a Challenges app for the android, as well as apps for letterboxing and some of the alternative geocaching sites.

Also a warning. If you decide to go the Android route, realize that not all Androids are created equal. Some are great while others are junk. Shop around and read reviews before deciding on one.

One more thing, If you decide to get a GPSr, be sure to check out the GPS Garage Sale forum, Craigslist, EBay, Amazon, etc... as you can sometimes find a nice GPSr very cheap.

My first GPS was a Magellan Explorist GC. I have to say I was very happy with it. I returned it and got an Oregon 550, but that was only because I had the money at the time and wanted a larger screen, touch screen, and all the bells and whistles. If I was on a budget, which I am now, I would not hesitate to buy a GC again.

I would not consider a GC 'low end'. It has paperless geocaching for starters. I also don't agree that it is a "beginner's GPS". I've seen lots of seasoned cachers using them.

Lots of seasoned cachers? Like me, you mean? I wasn't even embarrassed to attend an event a couple weeks ago with it hanging around my neck. :lol: I think the price, as well as the "100% dedicated to Geocaching adventures" marketing angle, makes it attractive to New cachers and Veterans looking for a replacement alike.

I'll have to disagree though, and state it's still "low-end". Magellan only has one cheaper handheld, the Explorist 110, and it too is paperless. As is Garmin's only cheaper handheld, the Etrex 10. This is because they are current models. Sure, you can spend $300 on a GPS60CSX that has been sitting on the shelf for 3 years, but it won't be paperless. :)

phone pros [according to the cgeo app (best free app for geocaching)]

-most have camera

-can be cheaper

-already have geocaches loaded on there

-shows pics and a little more info

-has road navigation

gps pros (according to Magellan GC)

-you can choose what geocaches you want on there (and load up to 1000 geocaches at once)

-way better satellite in most places

-loads cache details and location instantly

-zooms in closer

-has other functions than just geocaching

I personally like my gps better. Hope you find somthing good.

I'd add superior battery life, easily available field replaceable batteries, ruggedness and water resistance to the pros of a GPS. And both Smartphones and handheld GPS can have road navigation.

I have a non-paperless unit (Garmin Vista Hcx) and a Blackberry smartphone. I use Cachesense on the Blackberry to hold cache information. This software allow me to load PQs as well as get caches 'live' on demand from Geocaching.com. I would say (as others have said) there are three reasons that a GPSr is better than the cell phone for the kind of caching I do mostly:

1. Battery Life (I cannot stress this enough)
  2. Ruggedness (I like caches in the woods)
  3. Satellite Reception (again, I like caches in the woods)

If the phone was better at these three I would happily toss my GPSr.

We just have an Garmin etrex 10 (very much at the bottom end of the spectrum)and it serves us very well. We were in Devon caching last week, got a couple of miles round Dartmoor and there was no phone signal, without the GPS we would have been well and truely lost and even if there was the battery wouldn't have lasted the 8 hours we were out for. However, I also have an app on my android which is fantastic when I go somewhere new and just want to see if there is a cache near by.

We just have an Garmin etrex 10 (very much at the bottom end of the spectrum)and it serves us very well. We were in Devon caching last week, got a couple of miles round Dartmoor and there was no phone signal, without the GPS we would have been well and truely lost and even if there was the battery wouldn't have lasted the 8 hours we were out for. However, I also have an app on my android which is fantastic when I go somewhere new and just want to see if there is a cache near by.

Some exclusive smartphone users argue that they can download caches for later use offline, and that their GPS on the phone still functions without cell service. I have a smartphone with the official app, but I'm always going to be primarily a handheld GPS user, so I've never played around with this.

As much as an old-school handheld gps guy hates to admit it, having cell service and being able to pull up a list of caches is pretty nice. I did it 2 weeks ago on a mini-vacation, when I went about 15 miles further than my destination to an area I didn't originally plan on being in. Looked for 3 with the phone, found two. And for the record, my "issues" with smartphone geocachers is always lame two word or less logging of our caches. Nothing else. :)

In time when funds are more readily available I might get a dedicated GPSr, but in the mean time my Android does fine, the only thing it can't handle is being dropped in a puddle, apart from an expensive case there's not much you can do about that other than keep it in your pocket when you don't need it or are climbing about :)

I did struggle a bit with battery life, but for £3 I got a spare battery for my phone on a well known auction site ;), that's one problem solved, a full charge normally lasts me about 6 hours, so that's 12 hours in total and fully rechargable :)

As for accuracy, my phone is fine, it has GPS and GLONASS, it's why I got this model (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and very reasonably priced too) I can't see how it could get much better, it's pretty much spot on, even under tree cover :)

And someone mentioned 2 word logs from smartphone users, I don't do that either, I can't stand trying to type on a silly little on screen keyboard. I keep a notebook of reminders/keywords and type it up and log it when I get home :)

So for me, the only downside that I can't counter is the waterproof/ruggedness....I wonder if a putting my phone in a zip-lock bag like many logs are might help? :)

And someone mentioned 2 word logs from smartphone users, I don't do that either, I can't stand trying to type on a silly little on screen keyboard. I keep a notebook of reminders/keywords and type it up and log it when I get home :)

I don't log from my phone, but send field notes instead. I type just enough in the field note to remind me about the cache and then I fill in the details on the PC when I get home.

Dunno if you have come to a conclusion, but I would go for Android.

The c:geo app is unbeatable, although a bit slow to load. Most androids have a-gps support, and are relatively quick and accurate and you always have them on you.

Depending on your country, you may be able to get good data plans. I am in the UK, and get unlimited net. No advertising now!!

You may wish to purchase some extra, high-capacity batteries for your android. 3 in total should be good for a day or 2...

(2 spare, 1 in phone).

Thanks for reading,

Liam

I used my Android and found that the Compass doesn't work properly even after calibrating it. Made for a very difficult search. I used the Samsung Galaxy model SGH-T989D

When using the geocaching app, and on the compass page, tap the menu button and select Compass Mode. From there, choose Motion-based Compass. The compass will now work as long as you keep moving. Another thing to do is install an app called GPS status. Once installed, the geocaching app will have another option under Navigate to cache called Radar. The radar works much better in some circumstances. Another thing I've heard from people who have compass problems is to run a refrigerator magnet around the phone before calibrating. Never tried it myself so do it at your own risk.

I used my Android and found that the Compass doesn't work properly even after calibrating it. Made for a very difficult search. I used the Samsung Galaxy model SGH-T989D

When using the geocaching app, and on the compass page, tap the menu button and select Compass Mode. From there, choose Motion-based Compass. The compass will now work as long as you keep moving. Another thing to do is install an app called GPS status. Once installed, the geocaching app will have another option under Navigate to cache called Radar. The radar works much better in some circumstances. Another thing I've heard from people who have compass problems is to run a refrigerator magnet around the phone before calibrating. Never tried it myself so do it at your own risk.

Now this is certainly interesting. Myself, and two people I know have deemed the electronic compass on HTC phones to be worthless. I have a WindowsPhone, they have Droids. The first Geocaching.com WindowsPhone app did not use an electronic compass, but the new one does. I still use the old one, whenever I use the phone for caching, which is somewhat rare. In addition to the compass being erratic and essentially worthless on the official Geocaching app, it is also on an "illegal" for lack of a better term, European Geocaching app, as well as any other compass using apps I have tried. OK, I'm doing this magnet thing as soon as I finish typing. And I have not heard of this here, or anywhere else on the interwebs. :lol:

For those having trouble with their phone's compass...

I had trouble with mine for a while, it was almost always wrong....and then I realised that it was because my new case had a tab that closed the case with a magnet...that must have been interfering with my compass! Doh! Now when caching I remove the phone from the case and most of the time it works fine now. (occasionally it does go awol and is off by 90degrees or something, in that case I temporarily switch to motion-based compass)

HTH

I've been caching with a Droid phone (Motorola Droid 1 then Motorola Droid 4) since May 2010. Since December 2011, I've also been using a Garmin Etrex 30.

I've found the live data and especially full Google Maps (including Satelite/Aerial view) to be immensely useful on my Droid when geocaching. The ability to cache someone on the spur of the moment is also useful, though personally I'm a meticulous planner so pretty much anywhere I go I've pre-loaded a GPX file of the caches I might search for. The best geocaching GPS units are usually poor for road navigation; it's one thing to find the cache but another to find the park/trailhead to start your hike to the cache. To my knowledge, all GPS are also useless for live data or on-the-fly caching; you need to preload the caches you want to search for or have their info printed/written out to input into the GPS.

So why did I get a GPS after 1 1/2 years of satisfactory caching with my Droid? Battery life was a big part: 20 hours on 2 AA's vs 3-6 hours on a full cell charge, depending on how much info you have preloaded, use of maps, making any calls, etc. Nearly ever GPS will also be more durable and some are waterproof (and I kayak cache sometimes). My experience is also that while both units are very accurate in the open, my Droid's accuracy is much worse when there is interference (especially tree cover) than the Etrex.

Short answer: if you plan to do lots of urban caching and park-n-grabs, a Droid is fine. If you get out in the woods, having a GPS becomes much more important.

I started out caching last year with an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000). The GPS in this phone is terrible.

Even after rooting the phone and tweaking the gps.conf file, it's still only accurate to anywhere between 15 and 30 meters (45 to 90 feet). It works quite well out in the open, but as soon as you get under a tree canopy, all bets were off.

I ended up buying a Garmin eTrex 20 and use the Android phone simply for logging field notes and checking the listings, etc.

I load pocket queries into my phone app (NeonGeo) and my GPS, so both have the same data.

Even when using the phone for just checking the listing and logging field notes, it chews up the battery, so I usually have to plug it into the car charger if I am driving between caching locations.

My wife killed her GT-i9000 phone last week (dropped it and broke the screen in 3 places) and now has an LG Optimus L5 phone.

The LG has a much better GPS compared to the Samsung.

Having accidentally dropped my GPS while on a caching adventure in the Chicago area, and having it roll down a hill into the Chicago river, I would have to vote for a dedicated GPS. When I finally worked my way down the hill, It was quite steep, I could see my GPS at the bottom of the river with it's screen shining brightly. I retrieved it from the water, wiped it off and continued caching. I used this Garmin GPS for several more years before recently upgrading to a Garmin because I wanted to go completely paperless.

First of all, I have to thank everyone for the answers! They've been very useful!

So, let me see if I got this: if you have a GPS without the premium subscription you have to pre-upload the cache files for the GPS before you go out and search for them?

Edited by kjc9847yu

First of all, I have to thank everyone for the answers! They've been very useful!

So, let me see if I got this: if you have a GPS without the premium subscription you have to pre-upload the cache files for the GPS before you go out and search for them?

Premium membership or not you have to do this. A handheld GPSr does not have any kind of internet connection. The advantage of being a premium member is that you can make 'pocket queries' which allow you to download thousands of caches at a time to the GPSr.

Premium membership or not you have to do this. A handheld GPSr does not have any kind of internet connection. The advantage of being a premium member is that you can make 'pocket queries' which allow you to download thousands of caches at a time to the GPSr.

Yes, it's becoming apparent that many beginners believe that being able to look up the closest caches anywhere they may be is an "advantage" of smartphones over handheld GPS's. I really can't argue with this. But keep in mind there are tens of thousands of people who have been doing this Geocaching stuff with handheld GPS's for years, that get a Pocket Query or two a week, and always have the latest local caches loaded in their GPS unit. Not very hard to do, but I admit harder than pressing your thumb once onto a smartphone touch screen. :)

In a nutshell, we could say that cache downloads are highly restricted to non premium members, whether they have a smartphone, or dedicated GPS unit.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I don't log from my phone, but send field notes instead. I type just enough in the field note to remind me about the cache and then I fill in the details on the PC when I get home.

I do exactly the same thing! Why claim being 'paperless' if you have to carry a paper notebook to record cache log details? Using an online app has a great advantage with trackables. I can IMMEDIATELY log that I picked up a trackable or left one. Anyone else can immediately see that either on the web site or through their online apps that support that. A trackable is immediately removed or added to inventory without waiting for me to get back to the computer for logging a drop/pickup. Another advantage is the Field Note is time stamped when you submit the field note right at the cache site, not when you go back later and finish online. A typical Field Note for me might be 'tough 20 mins wet new log baggie racecar squinky'. Later when logging online, these notes would remind me to edit this into "Found after 20 minutes of searching. Log was wet and baggie torn. Replaced with new baggie and new log. Took the race car and left a squinky toy. Thanks for the hide, I enjoyed this challenging search!" Yes, there's an option to just have the software plug in 'TFTC' and automatically submit that. Those who do so would do that whether or not they were using a smartphone app or doing it on the web site. So don't blame the apps for that, it's the users who are responsible for taking the shortcuts.