Said benchmark wasn't the one listed....got comment deleted after finding proof

cesariojpn

I recently posted on a benchmark on Waymarking.com that the building photographed was not the one listed on the datasheet. I even pointed out the coordinates were off by a giant length (Comparing Geocaching's coordinates AND the datasheet to Google Maps, Bing Maps, and what was posted on that page confirmed the info was way off). Today, I found photographic evidence to backup my claims that the benchmark got destroyed and when I went to try and edit my comments to illustrate the fact, I found my comment to have been deleted by someone.

I'm mad and chuffed at this turn of events. Not only was a page put up with the wrong info and not checked, but when I said it was wrong in the comments, it got deleted without even discussion or a note that said "Hey, we're gonna delete this cause it's against TOS or something." Nice way to turn people off with that BS.....

I recently posted on a benchmark on Waymarking.com that the building photographed was not the one listed on the datasheet. I even pointed out the coordinates were off by a giant length (Comparing Geocaching's coordinates AND the datasheet to Google Maps, Bing Maps, and what was posted on that page confirmed the info was way off). Today, I found photographic evidence to backup my claims that the benchmark got destroyed and when I went to try and edit my comments to illustrate the fact, I found my comment to have been deleted by someone.

I'm mad and chuffed at this turn of events. Not only was a page put up with the wrong info and not checked, but when I said it was wrong in the comments, it got deleted without even discussion or a note that said "Hey, we're gonna delete this cause it's against TOS or something." Nice way to turn people off with that BS.....

Could the problem possibly be in HOW you stated your case in the log? Were you polite or accusatory?

I would sure hope that if a benchmark waymark page is incorrect, it would get corrected! It sure is frustrating to look for a waymark that isn't there or has really bad coordinates! Of all things, a benchmark needs EXACT coordinates! Have you tried contacting the leader or an officer in the category to express your concerns? They can do more for you than anyone on the forums. I hope you can get this straightened out.

I know it's not exactly the same, but a similar issue can happen with the NRHP category. The officers are somewhat at the mercy of the waymark owners, trusting that they have provided the correct pic of the building being waymarked. Sometimes mistakes are made, and not always are they corrected.

So the officers in the benchmark category may somewhat depend on the waymark owner to provide correct, accurate information. I would sure hope that if you explain the situation to them, it can get resolved. Good luck, and keep us posted.