floating cache ?

dogcrapdodger

Hello,

I relatively new to geo caching, although while in the forces, we do a similar excise to teach nav ex over a five day period in the field.

I would would like to tether a water proof cache weighted down, and tethered with cable in a slow deep river.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great help.

cheers

Hello,

I relatively new to geo caching, although while in the forces, we do a similar excise to teach nav ex over a five day period in the field.

I would would like to tether a water proof cache weighted down, and tethered with cable in a slow deep river.

cheers

I have had the same idea and i still might try it but what i have relived is that the power of water can easily take the cache away. if it is not weighted down extremely heavily then when the river floods and the current begins to move faster the cache may float away or the rope would snap. Im still trying to figure out a way to do it as well.

Hello,

cheers

I have had the same idea and i still might try it but what i have relived is that the power of water can easily take the cache away. if it is not weighted down extremely heavily then when the river floods and the current begins to move faster the cache may float away or the rope would snap. Im still trying to figure out a way to do it as well.

We've found one, but it was floating on a lake.

Icky, slimy water bottle, attached to an icky, slimy rope.

One needs to consider the freeze/thaw cycle, if that applies. I was surprised that the one we found was in good shape. (Not sure if the cache owner pulled it before freeze-up each year or not.)

Fun type of cache to hunt for, if one has a canoe/kayak/boat/hip waders/fishing net.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

One of the local kayaking geocachers has come up with the following technique for his T5 kayak caches: The outer container is 4" PVC with a threaded plug at one end, chained to a stationary object with enough slack that it won't be submerged at high tide. The inner container is a waterproof bottle that holds the log. The outer container provides physical protection to the inner container. The chain keeps the outer container from floating away.

When similar ideas have been proposed, it has been suggested to make it a multi-cache. The water part is an easily secured, yet water-resistant metal tag with the co-ordinates to a nearby location on land where an ammo can or lock 'n' lock would make a dandy container. This also minimizes eliminates the risk of someone not closing the floating container properly, or dropping it accidentally.

Thanks guys,

Your ideas and thoughts have given me some ideas. i may have to fix a cache to some branches(securely) to make it look like some trapped litter in the river.

I have read of one in spain which you have to snorkel for ! attached to an anchor ring about 5ft under the water.

I'm off to Tenerife for the new year again so will be collecting as many bugs and coins to take, and have noticed a few cheeky ones there to place them in.

keep on searching chaps !