0.1 mile Guideline for Earthcaches?

Hi,

I'm wondering if a reviewer or other cacher could help me...

Does the guideline of 0.1 miles distance between each cache type apply to Earthcaches? And also, if you were to place an Earthcache on National Trust land, would permission still need to be sought, or would it not be needed as it's a virtual cache type?

Any help would be appreciated, I cannot find this information on GC.com

Does the guideline of 0.1 miles distance between each cache type apply to Earthcaches?

You can plunk an Earthcache right down on top of existing caches, if you like. It's very annoying having cache type icons stacked on top of each other on the map, but it's allowed.

Any help would be appreciated, I cannot find this information on GC.com

Really? Not sure where you were looking, but there's plenty of info to be found:

Help Center → Geocaching → Creating EarthCaches

5. Creating EarthCaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=51

Guidelines

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Guidelines (Specific Geocache Types section)

2.2. Additional Listing Guidelines that Apply to Specific Geocache Types

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

And let's not forget:

Earthcache.org

http://earthcache.org/

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

..... if you were to place an Earthcache on National Trust land, would permission still need to be sought, or would it not be needed as it's a virtual cache type?.....

I have an Earthcache based on the beach at Tynemouth, Northumberland (GC2MMWH).

Despite the fact that thousands of visitors go on to the beach every week/month/year(?), I was required to obtain permission from North Tyneside Council as "land manager" and also Natural England, as the coastline from Berwick upon Tweed to Tynemouth (ie the whole of Northumberland) is designated as a SSSI. The cache does not require anyone to remove or interefere with anything physical, or go into an area where the "general public" doesn't already have access to.

To be fair, this Earthcache was set up during a period when the UK didn't have an Earthcache reviewer and someone "sitting in Seattle" probably didn't appreciate the local situation.

I should also point out that both North Tyneside Council and Natural England were both very co-operative and helpful, and were probably as puzzled as I was! :blink:

..... if you were to place an Earthcache on National Trust land, would permission still need to be sought, or would it not be needed as it's a virtual cache type?.....

Despite the fact that thousands of visitors go on to the beach every week/month/year(?), I was required to obtain permission from North Tyneside Council as "land manager" and also Natural England, as the coastline from Berwick upon Tweed to Tynemouth (ie the whole of Northumberland) is designated as a SSSI. The cache does not require anyone to remove or interefere with anything physical, or go into an area where the "general public" doesn't already have access to.

To be fair, this Earthcache was set up during a period when the UK didn't have an Earthcache reviewer and someone "sitting in Seattle" probably didn't appreciate the local situation.

I should also point out that both North Tyneside Council and Natural England were both very co-operative and helpful, and were probably as puzzled as I was! :blink:

That part about needing permission from Natural England due to SSSI designation is strange because I was recently told by our reviewer that 'As for SSSI lands, NE only administer the designation. They are not the landowners. It is politic to inform them of the cache placement, but permission must come from the land owner/manager '.

We do have our own Earthcache reviewer now though so perhaps things have changed

That part about needing permission from Natural England due to SSSI designation is strange because I was recently told by our reviewer that 'As for SSSI lands, NE only administer the designation. They are not the landowners. It is politic to inform them of the cache placement, but permission must come from the land owner/manager '.

We do have our own Earthcache reviewer now though so perhaps things have changed

My "traditional" cache at Selby's Cove (GC28Y5R) was initially rejected by the reviewer as it was just inside the boundary of an SSSI and I was required to obtain permission from Natural England. This was despite the fact that the crag is used by rock climbers who, as far as I know, do not obtain, or require, permission.

In this case I found NE very helpful and it was they who obtained, on my behalf, the landowners permission.