Geocaching.com maps and clickable caches issues

morAg727

Hi,

Since may 2011 I'm registered on this website. But... When google maps were used, I had no issues. Now, with MapQuest and the other maps, the map loads really, really, really bad (mapquest) or the caches aren't clickable (all the other available maps).

I cleaned cache, cookies and temp files in my browsers. I have the issue in these browsers/OS:

Firefox/Windows 7

Google Chrome/Windows 7

Coolnovo Chrome/Windows 7

Internet Explorer (latest version)/Windows 7

Firefox/Ubuntu 10.04

Google Chrome/Ubuntu 10.04

Chromium/Ubuntu 10.04

Edit: after 15 minutes waiting and zooming in and out, most get clickable.

Edited by morAg727

Ive got a new computer with Windows 7, Windows Internet Explorer 9.0.9, I tied Google Chrome 19.0.1084.56.

I have the same problem with maps. When I try clicking on a cache Icon, I can't get the cache balloon to open so I could get to the cache page.

Another problem I've noticed when I get to a page to log a find not all the buttons work. For example TB's visiting the cache. Also on main site login page the login button didn't work either. I had to go to visiter sign on then I could logon from there.

A problem I have with this forums page. When I entered this thread the top half of the screen turns black but I can see thebottom half of the screen and that how I could reply to this thread.

The problem occurs when you use the leaflet map and choose an other other map type than the first on.

It occurs unter Opera and Chrome, but for me it works under FireFox.

Here is what I found out:

The problem is the grid() function.

It iterates throw all tile layers, add the visible tiles to an array and returns it.

There in this case there are two tile layers active: one layer for the map (e.g leaId=2) and an layer for the cache icons (e.g. leaId=20).

These Ids can change, but the id of the cache icon layer is always higher than the id of the map layer.

So here is the Problem:

Opera and Chrome iterates from low to high -> so the maptiles are at the beginning of the array.

One step later getTile() search throw this array to find the first matching element, which is the map tile and NOT the geocachelayertile.

So it fires the mouse move/click event on the map tile and not to the geocachelayertile!

Two questions left:

first: Why does it work with the default layer? -> It is generated at beginning and gets the leaId=1 and grid() just ignores layers with leaId=1 because of:

if (layerId > 1 && layers[layerId]._tiles)

second: Why does it work with firefox? -> Thats easy: firefox iterates reversed - from high to low!

So what to do?

I would suggest to modify the getTile() function a little bit:

if (layers[layerId]._url.indexOf("map.png") == 0 && layers[layerId]._tiles)

I've tested this code under Chrome, Opera and FireFox and it works :)

So please Groundspeak, fix this bug...

Greets Luke

Groundspeak is taking a look at this issue today and will hopefully have a solution soon. Thanks for your patience!

Today is already October 1 and the problem still persists...

No news?

If you look at the date of Nate's post, you'll see that only 3 days have passed, 2 of which were the weekend.

Anyway, this issue has been present for many months now with no fix. What's another few days?

Groundspeak is taking a look at this issue today and will hopefully have a solution soon. Thanks for your patience!

Today is already October 1 and the problem still persists...

No news?

If you look at the date of Nate's post, you'll see that only 3 days have passed, 2 of which were the weekend.

Anyway, this issue has been present for many months now with no fix. What's another few days?

If you are happy this is your problem.

3 day is too many time for a customer that is paying for a service that is not available. And apparently has a simple correction.

For me it only started a few days ago, not so many time...

Hmmm having the same and for me it seems to be related to latest Google Chrome Update.

I was facing the problem for first time at friday at a PC with Chrome... on MAC still working. Today chrome@MAC updated and now caches are not clickable on the map, too.. :-/

I have the same problem. I cannot click on an icon on a map. It is really frustrating. The only was I can get around this is if I do a pocket query for the area I want to look at and I can then click on the cache icon. You can only do this if you are a premium member. However if you want to look at a large area of map, the icons stay larger than normal and overlap. So for a large area it is not very good. I will be contacting geocaching.com as I don't know a solution. The maps always used to work for me.

3 day is too many time for a customer that is paying for a service that is not available. And apparently has a simple correction.

If it was a simple correction, they would have made that correction 6 months ago when this problem was first reported. It may have only started for you a few days ago, but it started for many others back in the spring when this version of the map was first released.

If it was a simple correction, they would have made that correction 6 months ago when this problem was first reported. It may have only started for you a few days ago, but it started for many others back in the spring when this version of the map was first released.

And I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It is not a simple fix so it can not be addressed in the two week cycle. It seems that the fixes that may take more than the two week sprint cycle are ignored and they look for something else to do. I guess that is what prioritizing means.

And I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It is not a simple fix so it can not be addressed in the two week cycle. It seems that the fixes that may take more than the two week sprint cycle are ignored and they look for something else to do. I guess that is what prioritizing means.

Not quite what I meant...

Based on the reports that have been posted in the forums, this is a very intermittent and inconsistent problem, with no known method to reliably reproduce it. That makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot and find a fix. Just in my experience with this problem, it will come and go with no apparent pattern, even when using the same browser, same map layer, same location, etc.

Just be patient. I'm sure they'll find the problem eventually.

Not quite what I meant...

Based on the reports that have been posted in the forums, this is a very intermittent and inconsistent problem, with no known method to reliably reproduce it. That makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot and find a fix. Just in my experience with this problem, it will come and go with no apparent pattern, even when using the same browser, same map layer, same location, etc.

Just be patient. I'm sure they'll find the problem eventually.

Is it so hard to you to understand that the problem since some days ago is a different problem?

If you don't help, please don't difficult...

For my Chrome and Opera installation the problem is reproduceable and I found a fix (just a little change in an if- condition) that works perfekt for me

(but to it is not easy to apply, because you can't change the code from GS so easy...)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=301002&view=findpost&p=5126101

Is it so hard to you to understand that the problem since some days ago is a different problem?

The problem being discussed here is that some users are unable to click on caches on the maps. Here are 6 other discussions relating to this exact problem, some of them going back as far as April and May:

Non interactive map with Google Chrome

Geocache Map - Not possible to select caches - MAC only

Hovering over geocaching bubble

Map Bubbles don't display

map details

Trouble with the Map

As you can see, the problem of not being able to click on caches is not new. If the problem you started experiencing several days ago is different than this, feel free to start another topic and describe the problem. Since you posted in a topic discussing the "can't click on caches on the map" problem, I naturally assumed you are seeing the same problem. Is this not the problem you're having?

For my Chrome and Opera installation the problem is reproduceable and I found a fix (just a little change in an if- condition) that works perfekt for me

(but to it is not easy to apply, because you can't change the code from GS so easy...)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=301002&view=findpost&p=5126101

That's a good example of what I said earlier, in that the problem is inconsistent. In your linked post, you mentioned that it worked fine for you in Firefox. I only use Firefox, and I see this problem frequently. When different users using the same browser report different results, it makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem.

3 hours ago, In Google Chrome it was working correctly again.

Now it doesn't...

For me it is still working almost perfectly. Sometimes there is a block of caches that don't "light up", but zooming and panning fixes them, too.

FWIW I'm using "Geocaching Map Enhancements 0.6.0" extension, which might have a positive effect on my mapping experience. But a few days ago, even GME was totally unresponsive to mouse hover.

So, please, don't fix it. It's working!

I found the SOLUTION !

I wonder if you really did. As you posted earlier, it was working for a bit, then stopped again. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that it started working again after you disabled that extension. It could even have been the simple act of restarting your browser that got it working again. Test it really well for a while and let the rest of us know if it seems to keep working.

Anyway, while that may be a solution, I don't think it's the solution. It won't help users of other browsers or those that don't have any extensions.

Edit to add: Also, posting this in 4 different discussions seems a bit premature when nobody other than you has even tested to see if it works for them. I can confirm that your solution doesn't help me because I don't even use Chrome or that extension. Even with all extensions disabled in Firefox, I still see the problem.

Edited by The A-Team

I can confirm that your solution doesn't help me because I don't even use Chrome or that extension. Even with all extensions disabled in Firefox, I still see the problem.

If you read my post well, the solution is for Chrome users and not for users using other browsers.

I can reproduce the issue. I tested it really well. And this solution keeps working (at least for me when using Chrome)...

If this topic is not the right topic to post my answer. The moderator may move my post to the correct topic or delete it.

Edited by DanPan

If you read my post well, the solution is for Chrome users and not for users using other browsers.

Yes, you did only mention Chrome, but you started your post with "I found the solution". You haven't found the solution. It would have been better to state "I found the solution for Chrome users". But I'm just nitpicking...

Still, I find it hard to believe that this will fix the problem for all Chrome users. I'm sure I read somewhere at some point that users had tried disabling all extensions and it didn't help. I'll see if I can find it. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope your discovery holds true for others, though it doesn't help the rest of us using other browsers.

For anyone using Chrome, can you try out DanPan's solution (ie. disable all extensions) to see if that solves the problem?

The problem being discussed here is that some users are unable to click on caches on the maps. Here are 6 other discussions relating to this exact problem, some of them going back as far as April and May:

Non interactive map with Google Chrome

Geocache Map - Not possible to select caches - MAC only

Hovering over geocaching bubble

Map Bubbles don't display

map details

Trouble with the Map

As you can see, the problem of not being able to click on caches is not new. If the problem you started experiencing several days ago is different than this, feel free to start another topic and describe the problem. Since you posted in a topic discussing the "can't click on caches on the map" problem, I naturally assumed you are seeing the same problem. Is this not the problem you're having?

That's a good example of what I said earlier, in that the problem is inconsistent. In your linked post, you mentioned that it worked fine for you in Firefox. I only use Firefox, and I see this problem frequently. When different users using the same browser report different results, it makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem.

Maybe you didn't noticed but GS is merging topics with "similar" issues, but not exactly the same.

Is good for the mess...

I like to start with a Map to plan my route and also avoid caches that haven't been found. I am on Windows 7 and Firefox.

Everything starts out fine, but after a few minutes, some and eventually all caches are so that when you bring your mouse over them, it does not bring up the name of the cache and you can not click on it to bring up the cache information. This is an OLD problem since we switched to the new maps. You can refresh the map to make the caches clickable again, but this is a Mickey Mouse solution. PLEASE Groundspeak, fix this basic problem! Thank you.

I also have the problems listed in this post, however after 40 replys this is the only reply from the powers that be at Groundspeak. This reply is also over a week old, which told us nothing. It is clear that the problem is still happening. Come on Groundspeak give us all an update and a fix, the maps are one of the main things people use on here!!

Edited by shantz_uk_&_cleverclogs

Hi Guys,

i had a problem on my both Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1).

When i want to click on a cache symbol (doesnt matter if Traditional, Multi etc.),

no Info Box will pop up on the map.

I tried every browser - no reaction.

What can i do against this ?

THX for help.