Best Tablet (and apps and maps) for Geocaching

I'm one of several people who have found that the official GS Geocaching App isn't available for their Android tablet. I andthe other reports I have seen are running Android 4.0.3, Ice Cream Sandwich - but others say they it works for them. I'd like to have something that works for geocaching on a wi-fi only tablet - not necessarily the official app, but since I've already paid for it and it seems to work okay, it might be nice. I can return this tablet and get another - but I don't know what will work. I posted the rest of this in another thread before, but it really wasn't the best place for it, so I'm trying again here. I know it's too many questions - my mind just works that way. Please feel free to just answer what you feel like! Thanks!

I have a new Acer Ionia Tab A200, which came with Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3). The Groundspeak app, which I use fine on my HTC Thunderbolt phone, doesn't even show up in Google Play on the Acer. When I get to it via Groundspeak, it tells me "Your device isn't compatible with this version." So I can't download the app at all. It doesn't tell me what specifically is not compatible, and the grammar of the phrase makes me think that by "version" it means version of the gs app, but it could mean version of Android, I guess.

I'm still (barely) in the return window for this tablet, and while geocaching won't be the main thing I do on this tablet (it's only wifi, for one thing, and we also have 2 Garmin Oregons and the phone), I would like to use it for the bigger maps and such, so I have some questions (okay, a lot of questions):

1-Do you think it really is Ice Cream Sandwich that is the problem? Has anyone done a new install on a tablet running ICS? (i.e. not something you upgraded to ICS after you installed the app)

2-If it isn't ICS, then what isn't compatible and why not? Is there a list of Tablet computers that are approved somewhere?

*****Wait! Is the geocaching app only installable if you have 3G or 4G service? That would be kind of rotten, but would make sense with how the GS App seems to work.*****

3-If you have an Android phone and an Android tablet, do you have to pay twice for the Groundspeak app?

4-Should I not worry about the Groundspeak app, because another app is a lot better? I've used a few others, but I'd be happy to have you convince me about why they are great. I don't think I'll have 3G on the tablet, so I'd need one where you can load it up via wifi and pocket queries and such, and then use it in the field.

5-Do you recommend another tablet (without 3g/4g) that runs the Groundspeak and/or other apps really well for geocaching?

6-Do you have a fairly new Android tablet that you love, preferably available for under $400? Why do you love it? (can be non-geocaching reasons)

7-Do you have any awesome mapping programs or apps or procedure to use that let you load and store the maps via wifi and then use them in the field with the gps on your tablet? Do they work for geocaching?

Thanks much for you help!

I don't have a tablet, but with point 7, I recently tried Locus which lets you store maps for offline use (I downloaded free Vector OpenMaps on my Droid Phone, I assume it's available for a Droid tablet too) and I really like it. So much that I ditched the official app and upgraded from the free to pro version of Locus.

Give the free version a try and see how you get on, it takes a little while to get used to, but once you do there are sooo many more options.

1-Do you think it really is Ice Cream Sandwich that is the problem? Has anyone done a new install on a tablet running ICS? (i.e. not something you upgraded to ICS after you installed the app)

No, I don't think it's ICS. I think it's your screen size and internal specs, or quite possibly just the name of your tablet isn't on their "approved devices" list. Haven't been able to test it since my tablet's screen cracked. :(

2-If it isn't ICS, then what isn't compatible and why not? Is there a list of Tablet computers that are approved somewhere?

*****Wait! Is the geocaching app only installable if you have 3G or 4G service? That would be kind of rotten, but would make sense with how the GS App seems to work.*****

You can always get a 3G model just to test that theory. :lol:

3-If you have an Android phone and an Android tablet, do you have to pay twice for the Groundspeak app?

No. Plain and simple no. I have apps I purchased on my old phone that transferred to both my tablet and my new phone. If you were feeling devious you could (technically) let someone else log in to your account and download it for free. *shifty eyes*

4-Should I not worry about the Groundspeak app, because another app is a lot better? I've used a few others, but I'd be happy to have you convince me about why they are great. I don't think I'll have 3G on the tablet, so I'd need one where you can load it up via wifi and pocket queries and such, and then use it in the field.

Well, there are many options. One of those is c:geo. Yes, it does violate the TOS when you use it on wifi. However, it is perfectly and entirely ok to use pocket queries and import the .gpx file into the app.

5-Do you recommend another tablet (without 3g/4g) that runs the Groundspeak and/or other apps really well for geocaching?

I used the original asus transformer. It had surprisingly good GPS reception (for a tablet). However someone was being a little careless and dropped it onto a concrete floor.

6-Do you have a fairly new Android tablet that you love, preferably available for under $400? Why do you love it? (can be non-geocaching reasons)

I loved my asus transformer. It was fast and did everything awesomely. Plus what's not cool about a detachable keyboard?? If you go on craigslist I'm sure you can get an original transformer and dock for <$400.

7-Do you have any awesome mapping programs or apps or procedure to use that let you load and store the maps via wifi and then use them in the field with the gps on your tablet? Do they work for geocaching?

Quite simple. Update Google Maps. They have an offline maps mode.

Thank you so much Clinbu for your detailed and very helpful answers! With regards to the first question - >Is there< and "approved list"? I'll try to ask Groundspeak directly too, but.... Did you ever run the Groundspeak app on your tablet? I'm looking at the now slightly old transformer that they've dropped the price on - nice to have a personal recommendation - I like the detachable keyboard idea too (or there's bluetooth maybe). Thanks again, I love geocachers!

Aeggil - Thank you! I've heard good things about Locus - nice to hear a direct report.

Don't give up on your tablet just because one app' doesn't work.

I would recommend Locus, which is designed as an offline geocaching and mapping app'. Cache details can be imported directly as PQ's from geocaching.com. And as it supports offline maps you will not be lost in the wild waiting for a map to download.