HELP NEEDED with a .GWC file

Mickey and Goofy

My computer was hit by lightning this summer and I lost all my Wherigo cartradges. I was able to recover all but one and all I have is a .GWC file is there any way that I can get a .LUA out of it?

The problem is that some way it was over written with another one of my carts here in the Wherigo site so now it is lost. But I have a .GWC file from my friends GPS.

Any Ideas?

Is this one you published to Wherigo.com? If so, take the easy route: make your cartridge listing open source, download the GWZ, then remove the open source marker.

If not, we can explore other options.

I did that, the problem is that I accidentally over wrote it with another Cartradge! Darn it a dumb move....

Now all I have is the .gwc file. I'm hopping that I don't have to rewright the program.

Well... We can try one of two things. Now might be a good time to see if the Wherigo web site caches previous versions of cartridges or if it overwrites them. Try emailing Groundspeak (contact@Groundspeak.com). Explain you overwrote your cartridge and ask if they keep the previous versions. I've been curious about this for some time, so it would be a good thing to know.

If that's not possible, I believe we might be able to extract the compiled lua section of the GWC file and run it through a lua decompiler. The resulting output won't be pretty by any means, but it will at least tell us what the cartridge is doing.

OK I sent Groundspeak an email and this is the answer that I got from them.

Hi Lon,

Unfortunately, the site overwrites the old version of a cartridge when a new version is uploaded.

Best Regards,

Jon ("Moun10Bike")

So I had a friend get me the coords for each stage and the final location. I took a good look at the .GWC file and I can find everything that I need in the coding, so I'm good. I will rewrite the cartridge now.

Thanks Ranger Fox for your help and I hope that My email info helps you.

Now might also be a really good time to buy a memory stick, and make a "Back Up Hard Disk!!!" note on every Sunday of your year planner. :D

That is where they are now a 16gb stick and I have downloaded all .gwz files of every Wherigo that I have published 16 of them. I also have 7 templates in my website www.greathides.com saved also.

Got it covered....

I just got cought unprepaired in that case everything else I had saved and on file. The main thing is there is some nice helpful people out there and with a little help I got the one Wherigo that I goofed up back up and running. Righting Wherigo's is fun and acutely I enjoyed re-writing it.

NOW if we can get the GPS makers and Groundspeak to agree that Wherigo is good and popular we can again get something going. Out of all my "Regular" cache hides and my "Wherigo" cache hides my Wherigo's are hit about the same if not a little more than the regular caches. But unfortunately the Wherigo's are found with smart phones not many with a GPS because Garmin like the others don't support Wherig any more. I was asked to write a Wherigo for a local popular event (next week) and I ended up making 4 wherigos for the event. I have talked to Garmin and Megallen reps and several Lackeys and always get the same replys "It's the other guys fault, they won't work with us."????????????

Enough said I just had to air some........

Thanks for your help.

By the way, instead of a memory stick, I'd suggest a cloud storage service like Dropbox. Some will allow you to get a previous version of a file or reverse a deletion. In addition, whatever you put in there is automatically synchronized with all your other devices (meaning my test cartridges are accessible on my work computer in case I want them during my lunch break). It's also really handy when planning caching runs with people: you can stick all the GPX files and plans in one place and everyone automatically has access to the updated files.

Well, if you need any further help, let me know.

Now, about overwriting files on the Wherigo web site... That just makes it more difficult to catch people if they upload inappropriate cartridges.

Now might also be a really good time to buy a memory stick, and make a "Back Up Hard Disk!!!" note on every Sunday of your year planner. :D

That is where they are now a 16gb stick and I have downloaded all .gwz files of every Wherigo that I have published 16 of them. I also have 7 templates in my website www.greathides.com saved also.

Got it covered....

I just got cought unprepaired in that case everything else I had saved and on file. The main thing is there is some nice helpful people out there and with a little help I got the one Wherigo that I goofed up back up and running. Righting Wherigo's is fun and acutely I enjoyed re-writing it.

NOW if we can get the GPS makers and Groundspeak to agree that Wherigo is good and popular we can again get something going. Out of all my "Regular" cache hides and my "Wherigo" cache hides my Wherigo's are hit about the same if not a little more than the regular caches. But unfortunately the Wherigo's are found with smart phones not many with a GPS because Garmin like the others don't support Wherig any more. I was asked to write a Wherigo for a local popular event (next week) and I ended up making 4 wherigos for the event. I have talked to Garmin and Megallen reps and several Lackeys and always get the same replys "It's the other guys fault, they won't work with us."????????????

Enough said I just had to air some........

Thanks for your help.

That is because there is this "unspoken club" that seems to be developing to get to 100 Wherigo finds so that is "all the rage in the area" it seems for the moment. Well that and Michigan is unique in the vast number of Wherigo hides active - 141!

Before long we should be at 150 in no time.

Of course, I have been working on a Wherigo Power Trail....and it sets at 95 Wherigos at this point.

OK I'm back - I just made a change to I'll call it "Game B" and within "Builder" I went to "publish cartridge" and what did it do it published OVER THE CARTRIDGE THAT I JUST STARTED ("Game A") THAT THIS POST IS ABOUT! ? This is how I first got into this GWC problem that I just fixed, luckely I had the "Game B" and went to it's page on Wherigo.com and uploaded the GWZ for "Game B" to fix it.

NOW I just have to remember not to update a cart using "publish cartridge". It just makes me wonder why just the "Game A" that it chooses to overwrite when I have 20 other carts active?

NOTE: It shure would be nice it Groundspeak would update Wherigo.com so we can delete or disable carts, right now we have to make them not active and there they set.

Edited by Mickey and Goofy