FTF Hogs

"FTF, in your face cacher A and cache B. I beat your sorry butts again. In your face losers". I've actually seen that in a log and I don't believe that it was in a friendly way.

If I saw a log that called out 2 other cachers by name like that, I'd assume it was specifically because they were friends. I suppose that might be my problem: since I'm never mean, I don't recognize it when other people are trying to be mean. Or maybe that's not a problem...

Could be wrong but that just looks like fun rivalry between friends.

"FTF, in your face cacher A and cache B. I beat your sorry butts again. In your face losers". I've actually seen that in a log and I don't believe that it was in a friendly way.

If I saw a log that called out 2 other cachers by name like that, I'd assume it was specifically because they were friends. I suppose that might be my problem: since I'm never mean, I don't recognize it when other people are trying to be mean. Or maybe that's not a problem...

Could be wrong but that just looks like fun rivalry between friends.

Does not seem mean to me. In my neck of the woods there are about a dozen or so of us who go for the FTFs. We often leave logs ragging on the ones who do not show. Nothing mean about it, just jokes with friends.

Being "nice" or not, i just don't understand how it would be satisfying to anyone when they were handed one. :blink:

Oh, give me a break. All this chest-thumping about "earning" FTFs is pathetic. Does it really give you a feeling of pride to beat a 7-year-old to be the first to lift a lamp-post skirt?

I mean, seriously, who over the age of about 10 thinks it is an "accomplishment" to be first to grab a lame urban hide? And who over the age of 10 would think it cool to splash their FTF "achievements" all over their profile page?

Get real, folks. Racing to get to that cache before the 10-year-olds on their bicycles have a chance is not "earning" anything. It's pathetic.

Having your FTF stats all over your profile page, talking seriously about "earning" FTFs, and the like are all evidence that you are taking it way too seriously.

Letting a child have the joy of signing an empty log is not "handing" or "giving" them anything of particular value; the problem is with the adults that give that empty log a value that is ridiculously inflated in a pathetic attempt to prop up their own egos. If making them compete is teaching them anything, it is teaching them to have twisted priorities and to place competition for meaningless achievements above working to do something valuable in the world.

Grow up, people.

I think the anti-FTF rants are just as pathetic or worse than the rants for FTF, and your post proves it for me.

I don't think I've seen an anti-FTF rant. What I do see are anti-obnoxious-behavior-by-self-absorbed-geocachers-that-insist-on-doing-whatever-it-takes-to-be-FTF-on-every-cache-then-bragging-about-it rants.

Oh ok, Fizzy's rant is ok then. HUGE :rolleyes:

Another common one is:

"FTF! This is my 1364th FTF and the 126th consecutive day with a FTF, and my 625th consecutive day with a find"

That's is. Nothing about the cache, nothing about the adventure. Not even a thank you to the cacher that placed the cache that made that all possible. It's all about me, me, me... Look at me... look what I've done.

Those are the types of logs that really put me off.

The way I see it, it's not about FTF and anti-FTF, it's about those that like to publicly announce their accomplishments and about those put off about public announcement of accomplishments. Either way, it's all about "me". A sad state of affairs.

(tongue in cheek)

May I offer a simple *fix* to the problem..?

The top FTF cachers in the area be assigned as reviewers the following year.

They apparently have too much time on their hands and need a lesson in sharing.

:P

Yes, because the FTF Hound Wannabes are very skilled at taking advantage of those that share.

(tongue in cheek)

May I offer a simple *fix* to the problem..?

The top FTF cachers in the area be assigned as reviewers the following year.

They apparently have too much time on their hands and need a lesson in sharing.

:P

Yes, because the FTF Hound Wannabes are very skilled at taking advantage of those that share.

Actually, FTF Hounds are very skilled at taking advantage of those that share.

So, when someone takes all 10 of a new series,

I think it's unsportsmanlike and inconsiderate. Am I wrong here?

I think unsportsmanlike and inconsiderate are way too strong, maybe even totally irrelevant. If you want FTF play the game in the manner required to get them. I have planned FTF caches very casually, but it wasn't my main goal when I went out. I hiked over 10 miles and got about 7 in one day. These caches are made by many others using cars. Did I deserve them? If forced to answer I would point out the blisters I had, but as a general rule they were there so I got them. I think you are making WAY too big of a deal about the issue.

If you're not first, you're last. And don't ever forget it.

Move faster if you want FTF.

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

This entire thread is highly entertaining!

It's also highly amusing how many people complain they are staring down some hairy dogs butt but are too lazy to do anything about it.

Edited by Roman!

Recently a series came out near me where there were 10 caches in a row along

a rural road.

The first person on the scene got 8 of the FTFs and missed the last two only because someone

had started at the other end.

I love a good competition for FTFs, but (I don't know, Jerry!) sometimes I think

they are FTF hogs and should let someone else find at least a FEW of the 10.

I see where a person is SO happy to get their first FTF - it's heartwarming

to see the joy they experience. So, when someone takes all 10 of a new series,

Same issue in my area AND you will find a small group of "Self Appointed Experts" to

It's also highly amusing how many people complain they are staring down some hairy dogs butt but are too lazy to do anything about it.

There is some petty whining about a lot of issues but this is one that the whiner can do something about......if you want FTFs then play the game in a way to get them. This solves the problem entirely and completely.

There is some petty whining about a lot of issues but this is one that the whiner can do something about......if you want FTFs then play the game in a way to get them. This solves the problem entirely and completely.

I agree. if I decide to try for a FTF , I want to earn it fair and square.... I don't want a "sympathy" FTF

I'm bummed about not getting any FTFs, but the problem for me is I'm always home for the night when these things pop up...and by the time I'm able to get out there in daylight it's already been logged. I'm determined to get one some day. I'll be happy just getting one!

Got my first FTF yesterday. Funny how things line up sometimes...

My family and I decided to go to a movie, which was listed online for 4:30. When we got there, we found out the online listings were incorrect by an hour, so we'd already missed half the movie. From there we thought we might try bowling...but when we got there we realized my daughter wasn't wearing socks and both kids were kind of whiny, so we opted just to go to a park on the way home that has a cool playground the kids like. Five minutes after we got there, I hear my phone ding...and when I look at it a few minutes later I notice it's an email notification of a new cache that's only a few hundred feet from where we are standing! Couldn't believe the luck...so we all rushed down and I found it pretty quickly.

I don't think I'll ever want to rush out of the house to get an FTF...and I doubt I'll ever get an opportunity like I had yesterday to pop up like that again.

I have a few FTF's and pretty much now leave them to a couple of "hogs" in my area. Every once in a while I'll go for one just to mess with them.

My philosophy though is since I have some I would like for new cachers to find one. There's nothing like the very first FTF and I would like everyone to share that joy at least once.

Yep, very good point. I'm sure that the requirements for getting FTF vary from area to area. Right now, I have about a 3% FTF ratio and that is due to a couple of days where I went out to remote areas. If you want some FTFs, get busy and do what has to be done in your area to get them. Or move to an area where it is easier to get a FTF.

I agree. if I decide to try for a FTF , I want to earn it fair and square.... I don't want a "sympathy" FTF

a rural road.

The first person on the scene got 8 of the FTFs and missed the last two only because someone

I love a good competition for FTFs, but (I don't know, Jerry!) sometimes I think

:ph34r:

You have to be at the phone ready to run at top speed and break every rule in the book to get there to log a first to find :ph34r:

a rural road.

You have to be at the phone ready to run at top speed and break every rule in the book to get there to log a first to find :ph34r:

So much BS

a rural road.

You rubbish the talking about speed to read a phone in this rule book where a first to find might need to be available as I'm as ble to why this should blended rules never should be dealt with I would never do that and don't why you want to do this or even write in this way constantly disrespecting any thoughts you on forum do not understand and constantly talk out of turn and moan at grammar got it

a rural road.

So much BS

why? people do get them to there phones or emails this is true

and you do have to rush to a first to find...?

a rural road.

You rubbish the talking about speed to read a phone in this rule book where a first to find might need to be available as I'm as ble to why this should blended rules never should be dealt with I would never do that and don't why you want to do this or even write in this way constantly disrespecting any thoughts you on forum do not understand and constantly talk out of turn and moan at grammar got it

:D

a rural road.

:D

Spread the word: Stop the feedings. Treat posts by the offender like a thread lock. There is no hope. Abandon ship.

Serve the pork chops.

a rural road.

1- It's life. There were a couple of blowhards when Tiger was dominating the sport. Should Tiger have pulled back on his game, let some others win and have been more of a sportsman?

2- igenerally hop off the train in the big city and wander wherever. I did go after 3 new caches and found two of them. A return on that 3rd cache resulted in another DNF. The owner finally moved it b/c of complaint of being located where it might get peed on. I found the new location the first time. I would have FAR more enjoyed having eventually found that cache in its original location after several DNFs than get the FTF.

3- The ranking, in reverse order, is never finding it, finding it after mutiple tries after the FTF had been claimed, finding the FTF, finding the FTF after first having posted a DNF yourselfand the best of all, FINDING A FTF AFTER BOTH YOURSELF AND MULTIPLE OTHERS HAVE POSTED DNF.

Yes, I personally think that you are wrong when you think it is unsportsmanlike and inconsiderate. Reminds me of the basketball games my sister says are played now in the US where thet don't keep score. Don't try to screw with Darwinism as it isn't good for the species. Look what excessive inbreeding did with the Bush boys!

a rural road.

So much BS

why? people do get them to there phones or emails this is true

and you do have to rush to a first to find...?

Depends on where the cache is. For my last FTF it was published on a Thursday morning and I didn't get to where the cache was located until the following Sunday afternoon...after going on four airplanes and traveling almost almost 9400 miles from home. There's also a small chance I might be able to go back to Ethiopia in May were there are only 13 caches in the entire country and four of them have never been found (one of them was placed in 2008). Before making global statements about how this game is played it might a good idea to try playing the game outside your 'hood.

You have to be at the phone ready to run at top speed and break every rule in the book to get there to log a first to find
Nonsense. None of my FTFs required breaking rules (including rules about when parks are open), traveling at top speed, or waiting at the phone.

Well, last Thursday, on my 200th find, I was FTF. The cache was 2 days old, and I found it quite by accident. I was looking for an old cache half a mile away, and I thought it might have been archived, so I checked the "Find Nearby Caches" app. I went for this one, and as I got near it, checked the app again, this time reading the description. It was brand new! I would be FTF!

So I carefully searched and found it. I was thrilled! I did a happy dance! I'm still kinda pumped!

But FTF was not my goal. It was serendipitous.

Hey, it's just a hobby. And it's a collector's hobby. If collecting FTFs is your thing, okay. But for me, the fun is in the journey. The FTF was wonderful, but it was gravy, not the entre.

Eh, seems like the FTF thing only bothers those that play that particular side game. Personally, I don't. If I happen to FTF a cache, cool, but I'm not attaching my reason for living to finding caches before anyone else. I unplugged from the cell phone/smart phone matrix about 14 months ago. I shamelessly smashed it with a big rock. I hated the expectation that I be instantly "connected" to everybody and everything. It was a choking feeling. I can only imagine the feeling of NEEDING to be FTF feels somewhat similar. Needing to be instantly alerted and connected to the point of being paralyzed against enjoying the rest of real life just isn't my thing.

My two absolute favorite caching experiences were this DNF and this 2TF. I'll be happy to find the cache eventually..., on my own terms, and in my own time. For me, it's not about beating someone else. It's about my own accomplishments on my own terms.

Eh, seems like the FTF thing only bothers those that play that particular side game. Personally, I don't. If I happen to FTF a cache, cool, but I'm not attaching my reason for living to finding caches before anyone else. I unplugged from the cell phone/smart phone matrix about 14 months ago. I shamelessly smashed it with a big rock. I hated the expectation that I be instantly "connected" to everybody and everything. It was a choking feeling. I can only imagine the feeling of NEEDING to be FTF feels somewhat similar. Needing to be instantly alerted and connected to the point of being paralyzed against enjoying the rest of real life just isn't my thing.

My two absolute favorite caching experiences were this DNF and this 2TF. I'll be happy to find the cache eventually..., on my own terms, and in my own time. For me, it's not about beating someone else. It's about my own accomplishments on my own terms.

It's an old bump, and I think the bumper just wanted to say he got an accidental FTF recently. I actually got a not intended, just happened to show up there first one a couple of weeks ago. Checked the website, saw a new cache on the way to where I was headed anyways, and I was FTF, not that I couldn't care less.

Nothing, of course, to do with "FTF hogs", which this thread was about. Not that I care, or engage in such a side game, played by a miniscule percentage of the overall geocaching populace. :)

It's an old bump, and I think the bumper just wanted to say he got an accidental FTF recently. I actually got a not intended, just happened to show up there first one a couple of weeks ago. Checked the website, saw a new cache on the way to where I was headed anyways, and I was FTF, not that I couldn't care less.

Nothing, of course, to do with "FTF hogs", which this thread was about. Not that I care, or engage in such a side game, played by a miniscule percentage of the overall geocaching populace. :)

Noted. Seems as if you and I are of like mind on the FTF side game. I won't pass by a cache to avoid being FTF, I just don't worry about getting there first either. There are those local "FTF hogs" near me that I believe would "throw down" for a FTF. Sorry for the really bad play on words B)

My thoughts on this subject are simple:

1. If you want to be FTF, be quick to get out there and find the cache.

2. If someone is getting all the FTF's in an area, don't sit around and whine about it. Refer to #1.

I am an admitted FTF hog. I have over 330 of them and in my area, that's quite a lot. Sometimes I win, sometimes I get beat and sometimes I don't even bother going after them at all. Being beat to the punch is part of the nature of the side game. If you can't handle that fact, don't even jump in the ring.

It really depends on the area you live in. I experienced both extremes on the FTF scale:

1. new cache published, be at GZ after a manic cycle ride within 10 minutes and find 5 other local cachers, also out of breath already there

2. cache published, first cacher to show up on the following weekend, or the weekend after

I've moved from 1. to 2. and I must say it takes the fun out of FTFs a bit. A few weeks ago someone published a series with something like 50 caches. We rushed out and did 9 or so and left the rest for others. Again, Friday (that's weekend here) we got 3 FTFs, and I must admit it's less fun this way. Sure it's more of a surprise if the logbook is empty as people don't immediately send a log per mobile and the riding distances are long, but it's not really a competition anymore :laughing:

Mrs. terratin

I know a FTF hog in the Portland area that pre sign alot of the caches before they are published.

FTF game is a baby game in the adult world.

"Baby game" for FTF searches is a bit harsh. After all, some muggles think the entire activity is silly. People can choose to focus on any or all of the sub-parts of the game. People give themselves chalenges, like maintaining a streak. That's not a "baby game" too, is it??

How about a "live and let live" approach?

Z said:

Don't try to screw with Darwinism as it isn't good for the species.

That sums it up! I'm pumped! I came here for a motivational speech and I got one! No pansy-ish put-downs of the FTF quest for me (probably by those who'd rather stroll to GZ *after* they finish their leisurely brunch (ugh! I *hate* sitting and doing nothing)! On to victory!

;)

I only bother trying for FTF if it's relatively easy. That basically means a few possible scenarios for me:

1 - Published late at night, meaning an early run on the way to work. My chances on these are maybe 10%.

2 - Published early in the morning/on the way to work. My chances are very good on these...but I only bother if it's either on the way to work or along one of my possible detour routes to work. Chances: 85%

3 - I'm already very close. On my first FTF, I was only about 700 feet away from GZ. On my second, it was in my neighborhood and only about a mile from my home. Chances: 90 to 100%.

4 - Published mid-morning near work. Tougher to do because I work in a pretty busy area and I can't always get out until lunchtime. My chances on those are maybe 30 to 50%.

5 - I'm on my own for the day (wife and kids away). Hasn't happened yet, but I'm just waiting for that one!

If it's more than ten or fifteen miles from either home or work, I'm probably not even going to try for FTF.

I only bother trying for FTF if it's relatively easy. That basically means a few possible scenarios

The Cache Owner may assist. I've submitted a bunch of my caches specifically to give more people a chance at FTF. Some I've submitted just as a thunderstorm hit. On my series, I submitted some one day, some another. And I often wait for a State Park Cache Event 100 miles away, then submit my new cache that morning. :P

A few of my caches are kind of hard to get to, in no way Park-n-Grab. Many local FTF people are hesitant to go on an adventure. :blink:

None of my caches are extreme, but a cache that takes planning and a little determination may be an ideal target for an FTF that others avoid. Bring the kids (everyone put on play clothes), know you will get dirty and scraped, and go get the cache. Don't wait a day or two, go immediately after the storm passes. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion