FTF Hogs

Anyone that has to ask what the big deal about an FTF is needs to try and get one. For me its bragging rights and the fact that I beat out the hounds in this area.

On a side note, its not all about the rush anymore. Now its about setting records. I am not sure what the standing record is for at least 1 FTF per month for consecutive months is, but I know what my personal best is. My total FTF count in 4 years of seeking out the elusive FTF is only 170, but the rush that I get is that I can say I have found at least 1 FTF per calendar month for 48 straight months now.

Also I believe that for those that like to FTF they should do there part and hide caches also. With over 120 published caches I believe I have contributed many times over to help others to get an FTF. The problem though, is that most of my hides can be rather tricky to find.

Everyone plays the game how they want, I am content with at least 1 FTF per month, and we will see how long I can keep my personal record going. Anyone know of FTF Streak Records out there??

For me it is the personal rush of finding a blank log, others have there own reasons. You can bash me all you want for caring at all about FTF's, but unless your record is anywhere near mine, you might as well keep your mouth shut till you actually have something to brag about (just saying).

Just thought I would give a little insight into why I go after FTF's.

Anyone that has to ask what the big deal about an FTF is needs to try and get one. For me its bragging rights and the fact that I beat out the hounds in this area.

Bragging certainly seems to be important to you; witness your log on this cache. I am guessing that they are all like this. Sigh.

Sorry, but your FTF there does not impress me much.

Now, the FTF on this cache, that is maybe worth bragging about. Almost a year without being found, and he signed the log in blood. Kinda makes bragging about being the first to lift a lamp-post skirt in the nearby Walmart parking lot seem a little pathetic, huh?

Bragging certainly seems to be important to you; witness your log on this cache. I am guessing that they are all like this. Sigh.

Now, the FTF on this cache, that is maybe worth bragging about. Almost a year without being found, and he signed the log in blood. Kinda makes bragging about being the first to lift a lamp-post skirt in the nearby Walmart parking lot seem a little pathetic, huh?

LOL, we have a local FTF streak cacher and his logs are almost identical.

This is what I logged on one of his caches, (all in fun), "The 4th of 5 Challenge caches that I have logged today, and my 7th Challenge cache overall. I now have 1 day in a row of logging Challenge caches."

BTW, I had 100 FTFs in a day, (actually 2 1/2 hours). Do I get bragging rights? I'd have gotten more but boredom set in.

On a side note, its not all about the rush anymore. Now its about setting records. I am not sure what the standing record is for at least 1 FTF per month for consecutive months is, but I know what my personal best is. My total FTF count in 4 years of seeking out the elusive FTF is only 170, but the rush that I get is that I can say I have found at least 1 FTF per calendar month for 48 straight months now.

Also I believe that for those that like to FTF they should do there part and hide caches also. With over 120 published caches I believe I have contributed many times over to help others to get an FTF. The problem though, is that most of my hides can be rather tricky to find.

Everyone plays the game how they want, I am content with at least 1 FTF per month, and we will see how long I can keep my personal record going. Anyone know of FTF Streak Records out there??

For me it is the personal rush of finding a blank log, others have there own reasons. You can bash me all you want for caring at all about FTF's, but unless your record is anywhere near mine, you might as well keep your mouth shut till you actually have something to brag about (just saying).

Just thought I would give a little insight into why I go after FTF's.

Your puny FTF records are nothing to brag about.

I invite any and all to give me a hard time, but unless they have something to brag about its not worth paying attention to them.

You should talk to your neigbor FTF hog that places presigned caches under a sock puppet name, then brags on here about finding them

Edited by jellis

Recently a series came out near me where there were 10 caches in a row along

a rural road.

The first person on the scene got 8 of the FTFs and missed the last two only because someone

had started at the other end.

I love a good competition for FTFs, but (I don't know, Jerry!) sometimes I think

they are FTF hogs and should let someone else find at least a FEW of the 10.

I see where a person is SO happy to get their first FTF - it's heartwarming

to see the joy they experience. So, when someone takes all 10 of a new series,

I think it's unsportsmanlike and inconsiderate. Am I wrong here?

you say you love a good competition for FTFs but obviously you don't because basically, you feel you should have FTFs handed to you and you're put off by those who earn them. That's not being competitive, that's being snobby and having an attitude that others 'owe you' something you didn't earn. If you have a reasonable argument as to why hounds 'owe you' FTFs, we would love to hear it. Being a true FTF hound takes alotta work and alotta dedication. We are coming up on 800 FTFs. It's a personal goal to reach 1,000 and catch that other hound in our area who has EARNED himself around 1,300. Our last run netted us 28. Our record in one morning/afternoon/evening is 34. These last 28 caches were 25-30 miles from homebase. They were not in our backyard and we headed out before the sun came up. I don't believe for one second that you would feel any amount of joy from acquiring a FTF that a hound 'let you find/have,' as compared to the joy you would feel if you acquired a FTF because you actually beat the local hound AND EARNED IT!

a rural road.

The first person on the scene got 8 of the FTFs and missed the last two only because someone

I love a good competition for FTFs, but (I don't know, Jerry!) sometimes I think

What were they supposed to do? Stop after 5 and have a picnic while waiting for others to come along?

If they got 8 in a row, you have to ask, were the other people in town sleeping?

FTF hounds don't have cars that go at warp speed.

If a person is so motivated, if a series of caches is published closer to them than where the FTF hound is, they can get their FTFs.

a rural road.

What were they supposed to do? Stop after 5 and have a picnic while waiting for others to come along?

If they got 8 in a row, you have to ask, were the other people in town sleeping?

FTF hounds don't have cars that go at warp speed.

If a person is so motivated, if a series of caches is published closer to them than where the FTF hound is, they can get their FTFs.

Found it 11/02/2012Oh you have got to be freaking kidding me! I spent my lunch break hitting some new caches up in North Aurora, trying to snag my first ftf. I planned out my route of unfound caches, but when i got there, i found they had all been found by someone else, but not logged online. So for an after-work cache run, i figured I'd hit the other end of town. Found a bunch of unfound caches down here by 111th, far from TSAWSF, or whatever it is. But no.

Anyway, i love the container. 'tis the season to be late for a FTF.

Perpetually second,

-ding

A FTF would be nice, I'd be happy to know I'd beaten the FTF hounds to their prize. I don't however wait poised for every new cache to be published. On the other hand, if I had found a new cache and claimed my FTF only to find that the FTF hounds had held off so the new boy could have a chance, then where is the achievement in that? My view is that if the numbers mean that much to you, then get out there and do what has to be done to get as many FTFs as you can. Coming first takes hard work, dedication and time, if you are willing to make the sacrifice then you should be rewarded with many FTFs. Being first is a reward for your effort, taking turns to be first is wrong, you may as well just remove the kudos of the FTF post.

A FTF would be nice, I'd be happy to know I'd beaten the FTF hounds to their prize. I don't however wait poised for every new cache to be published. On the other hand, if I had found a new cache and claimed my FTF only to find that the FTF hounds had held off so the new boy could have a chance, then where is the achievement in that? My view is that if the numbers mean that much to you, then get out there and do what has to be done to get as many FTFs as you can. Coming first takes hard work, dedication and time, if you are willing to make the sacrifice then you should be rewarded with many FTFs. Being first is a reward for your effort, taking turns to be first is wrong, you may as well just remove the kudos of the FTF post.

Yep. No adrenalin rush if you know everybody's sitting at home giving you a turn.

This is what I logged on one of his caches, (all in fun), "The 4th of 5 Challenge caches that I have logged today, and my 7th Challenge cache overall. I now have 1 day in a row of logging Challenge caches."

BTW, I had 100 FTFs in a day, (actually 2 1/2 hours). Do I get bragging rights? I'd have gotten more but boredom set in.

Anyone can brag about whatever they want, if you have an FTF, you get bragging rights....the problem is, is that a bunch of people have a problem with those of us that like to Brag about it. Thats whats fun for some of us. As I could care less what others think, I will just keep doing it. Everyone plays the game how they see fit, therefore any and all opinions are just that, opinions. Happy Caching

<snip>

....the problem is, is that a bunch of people have a problem with those of us that like to Brag about it.

There it is. It's the Bragging that ires most people. If you beat me to the prize, good for you. If you rub my nose in it, be ready for a broken nose.

A gracious winner is the making of a champion. A braggart will never be a champion in most people's eyes. Maybe you have a rose-colored mirror.

Forgive me, but this is all very interesting.

When I started geocaching (didn't have an account on here then), the "FTF" was more about proving to the owner that the cache could be found using consumer GPS. As "swag" trade was part of the game, a FTF also meant that you got first dibs on the trade items--which might have included things like books, DVDs, etc. Not bad trade stuff.

Then, by the time I joined geocaching.com, the FTF hunt was given an incentive with "FTF gifts". Things like expensive doodads, gift cards, cash, actual GPS units, etc became incentive to find a cache first. Generally, the better the FTF gift, the more difficult the T or D ratings. It was a true reward, and many took pride in being first to make the hike, or first to solve a hard puzzle. There might have also been things like signature items, or FTF certificates or pins, and unactivated TBs or geocoins. It was pretty cool to get out and hunt caches for a FTF when that was the case.

Now, FTF races are more about bragging rights. "I got off work before you did!" "I have a smart phone!" "I have better geospatial awareness than you." "I get my notifications and don't hesitate to run out the door!"

There isn't much incentive other than bragging. I have a handful of FTFs under my belt. Some were of the "hard hike/long distance/difficult puzzle" variety in the beginning. As FTF gifts left the game, and caches are placed more and more in simple urban settings, the "FTF" game changed for many. Now, because of the braggart stylings of many who FTF race, I simple call my FTFs a "Primary Confirmation of Existance". Just like in the old days, all I do with a FTF is prove that the cache is there, and can be found using consumer GPS.

Why brag? It's just a cache.

When I started geocaching (didn't have an account on here then), the "FTF" was more about proving to the owner that the cache could be found using consumer GPS. As "swag" trade was part of the game, a FTF also meant that you got first dibs on the trade items--which might have included things like books, DVDs, etc. Not bad trade stuff.

Then, by the time I joined geocaching.com, the FTF hunt was given an incentive with "FTF gifts". Things like expensive doodads, gift cards, cash, actual GPS units, etc became incentive to find a cache first. Generally, the better the FTF gift, the more difficult the T or D ratings. It was a true reward, and many took pride in being first to make the hike, or first to solve a hard puzzle. There might have also been things like signature items, or FTF certificates or pins, and unactivated TBs or geocoins. It was pretty cool to get out and hunt caches for a FTF when that was the case.

Now, FTF races are more about bragging rights. "I got off work before you did!" "I have a smart phone!" "I have better geospatial awareness than you." "I get my notifications and don't hesitate to run out the door!"

There isn't much incentive other than bragging. I have a handful of FTFs under my belt. Some were of the "hard hike/long distance/difficult puzzle" variety in the beginning. As FTF gifts left the game, and caches are placed more and more in simple urban settings, the "FTF" game changed for many. Now, because of the braggart stylings of many who FTF race, I simple call my FTFs a "Primary Confirmation of Existance". Just like in the old days, all I do with a FTF is prove that the cache is there, and can be found using consumer GPS.

As you said that's all that is left, and there are those that fuel the fire by listening. Look at all the comments, whether negative or not they are still comments and that is still attention.

Does anyone care? No, probably not, but I have no problem bragging about it still, I really have nothing to brag about anyways, but I still do it.

Does anyone care? No, probably not, but I have no problem bragging about it still, I really have nothing to brag about anyways, but I still do it.

Winning.

This demonstrates to me that it's more about rubbing people's face in it, rather than just being about finding a cache. The last time I took part in a FTF-hound location, it just ended up with the "opposition" getting sour and angry. And I wasn't even bragging about it. However, when they bragged, it certainly didn't improve the relationships with other cachers.

Often the braggart is just boorish, and most people tire of that pretty quickly. Not really the best attitude to have when it comes to fostering a good community of people playing a huge game all at once.

As you said that's all that is left, and there are those that fuel the fire by listening. Look at all the comments, whether negative or not they are still comments and that is still attention.

I saw another thread where you referenced your caches being destroyed.

I am curious if you believe that this attitude has anything to do with that occurrence?

I saw another thread where you referenced your caches being destroyed.

I am curious if you believe that this attitude has anything to do with that occurrence?

No I do not believe that this attitude has anything to do with the theft. I do find it interesting that the theft of one of the caches coincided date-wise anyway, with the Ape Cache, GCD and a couple of other caches in this area going missing. This is not to compare that particular hide to either of those very well known caches. There was a lot of talk/theories at that time about what was going on. There was also a blogger talking about how proud they were about going out and destroying some other area caches, one of them being one up near Deception Pass.

a rural road.

Simple answer: Host a First To Find Event: Each cacher has hidden one or more caches these "are" approved by a reviewer as good to go but they are set to be published one week after the event giving everyone a chance to be first. This idea came locally from FunkyNassau. It makes for a fun event.

Winning.

This demonstrates to me that it's more about rubbing people's face in it, rather than just being about finding a cache. The last time I took part in a FTF-hound location, it just ended up with the "opposition" getting sour and angry. And I wasn't even bragging about it. However, when they bragged, it certainly didn't improve the relationships with other cachers.

My experience in life has usually been that those who have the most to brag about tend not to do so, and those who brag the most tend to have little or nothing to brag about.

Braggarts are often sad little people who attempt to make themselves feel better by putting others down. How many FTF hounds fall into that category? I don't know many personally so I can't say for sure, but from the comments in this thread I would venture to guess it is more than a few,

Well, I thought that is why they call it "FTF", that is whoever gets there first is the "FTF". Maybe they could make another catagory for "AFTF". Almost First to Find. I see nothing wrong with going for "FTF" on every cache if you have the time and inclination. I like to be "FTF" but it really means nothing to me, it just means I was there first. Big deal!!

...Then there are those who are out making a living, raising a family or busy with creating their own business, taking care of ill parents, etc. etc. that cannot consider such a game as important enough to drop their responsibilities and run out the door on a whim. That is not lazy.

I generally agree with your post, but not this statement. I work a full time job. I have 4 kids. In the evenings, I help my wife with her home based business. Yet I still manage to get a FTF every once in awhile. I am not a FTF "hound" by any means, but i do get them every couple of months or so. People who don't get FTF don't get them because they don't try (or don't try hard enough).

I could say anyone who hasn't found 2,000 caches or at least 40 terrain 5 caches is lazy too. I guess you just don't try hard enough.

We each play our own game our own way.

There are many, many ways to play. Just because someone doesn't enjoy the same game you do makes them different, not lazy. If someone has different priorities than you it is no reason to insult them.

It's good this game can entertain so many very different types of people who enjoy very different things.

This says it far simpler than I usually do. It is the reason I have never used the three initials in a log, do not congratulate those who happen to get to one of my caches first, and leave prizes only for the fifth or sixth finder.

For the most part, I am not going to get excited about signing a blank log for a cache that is otherwise unremarkable. I was tempted to brag a couple of times, however, when I bushwhacked my way down a steep ridge, walked along even steeper sides of a lake, fought my way through brush and downed trees, and signed the blank log. I refrained from doing so, but wrote in my log that anybody who made it down there should give themselves a few extra smileys or wah-hoos in their log. Getting there was the accomplishment, not being first. Being first only indicates that I lack any sense of delayed gratification.

I don't guess there is any chance of ground speak limiting the number of "quotes" in a post to say, "0", or at least no more than "1"? Do you people that put 15 quotes in your post not think that the rest of us can read them in the thread? VERY ANNOYING!, very much more than FTF hogs.

:huh:

Generally, I see your point. However, using quotes gives context to a comment in a thread, as well as a way to "answer" someone in a thread.

Back on topic, I don't think that multiple quotes in a thread are as annoying as people who feel the need to gloat about FTFs. That said, I don't really find them that annoying in the first place...because it is easy to ignore.

Anyone can brag about whatever they want, if you have an FTF, you get bragging rights....the problem is, is that a bunch of people have a problem with those of us that like to Brag about it. Thats whats fun for some of us. As I could care less what others think, I will just keep doing it. Everyone plays the game how they see fit, therefore any and all opinions are just that, opinions. Happy Caching

The day you can equal Fizzymagic's reputation in and contributions to the geocaching community is the day you might have something truly worth bragging about. If you think being first to find a hide a key stuck to a 7-Eleven dumpster is something worth bragging about, more power to ya.

The day you can equal Fizzymagic's reputation in and contributions to the geocaching community is the day you might have something truly worth bragging about. If you think being first to find a hide a key stuck to a 7-Eleven dumpster is something worth bragging about, more power to ya.

Here I was thinking personal attacks were not allowed on the forum. I think you 2 are being too harsh on this guy. Maybe his FTFs are not a big deal to you, but they are to him and all the rest of us simple folks who get excited over being FTF a magnetic keyholder stuck to a dumpster. :)

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Is there a chance that a moderator could create a sticky thread about "FTF hogs" ?

It seems that this topic comes up almost as often as the "which gps should I buy?"

Most of the topics on this forum repeat on a regular basis. What's fun is to watch people's opinions "evolve" over time. It's also interesting to see people's predictions about how something will effect the game and consider them preposterous, only to find later that you now agree with them, because they became true.

Here I was thinking personal attacks were not allowed on the forum. I think you 2 are being too harsh on this guy. Maybe his FTFs are not a big deal to you, but they are to him and all the rest of us simple folks who get excited over being FTF a magnetic keyholder stuck to a dumpster. :)

Well, I never get excited about finding any cache behind a dumpster. In fact, I don't think that I have ever found a cache behind a dumpster. When I realize that I am looking for one, I hit the abort button in my head, even for a FTF.

I don't think that I was being too harsh, but I will say this. I was responding to the linked log. I get turned off when I see logs that go on and on about the finder's overall caching accomplishments and never touch on the unique experience of the cache they are logging. I get the impression that they are bragging and perhaps may think a bit to highly of themselves. Of course, I could be totally wrong and they are simply using the logs for record keeping purposes. Also, it's possible that the caches they are finding have no other redeeming qualities except to help them further their streaks, which would make their logs totally appropriate.

If I were to brag, it would be about the caches that I have placed. I hope that I have been able to bring some good experiences to others and by some of the logs, I have a feeling that I have. It's never occurred to me to brag about finding more caches, more FTFs, more days in a row, etc, than some other cacher. My find stats are in my profile. I don't feel that they need to be in my Found It logs as well.

I have never understood the big deal about FTF. There is no real difference between finding it first or 42nd.

Some of us just have to many responsibilities and or other obligations to worry about it, however if it is your thing, go for it but don't get upset when you get beat out.

We have someone in our area that gets most of the FTFs. While I know their situation is probably not the norm, not having a job, family or any other activities make it easier for them. Doesn't bother us as even when we have got there first, as we don't track it and there are not really any others in the area that think it is that big a deal. What does bother us is when someone takes us to task for not recognizing them on one of our caches when they get their first. We simply do not care the order they/we found it in.

If getting beat out is bothering someone so much, maybe the side game of FTF is not for them.

I have never understood the big deal about FTF. There is no real difference between finding it first or 42nd.

I have never understood the angst over the FTF.

I like getting the FTF for two reasons.

One: I like seeing the cache just as the CO placed it. I don't want to follow the geotrail to the rehid, rehid, rehid, rehid, moved, changed and rehid cache.

Two: (and this is just personal) I enjoy either finding it with my caching buddy or beating her there. Just something we between us for fun.

Beyond that you're right. My FTFs count for no more or no less of a find than my 42nd to finds.

A very easy solution for these FTF hogs would be to eliminate the option of receiving an email notification that a new cache has been placed. Then there would be a bit more challenge in finding one.

Twice this year I happened to be visiting an area for two nights, loaded the map, clicked on a cache to get its coordinates, and saw that it had not been found yet (at the time I was a non-premium member, so no email notifications), and went out the next day and found it.

To me that was a lovely reward for being in the right place at the right time.

A very easy solution for these FTF hogs would be to eliminate the option of receiving an email notification that a new cache has been placed. Then there would be a bit more challenge in finding one.

Twice this year I happened to be visiting an area for two nights, loaded the map, clicked on a cache to get its coordinates, and saw that it had not been found yet (at the time I was a non-premium member, so no email notifications), and went out the next day and found it.

To me that was a lovely reward for being in the right place at the right time.

Wrong.

You can watch your "Newest in 'your state'" page and see the caches as they are published. If you know when the reviewer normally publishes caches in your area you can sometimes see them before the email notifications, depending on how fast your email service is.

FTF Hogs will always find a way.

<snip>

If getting beat out is bothering someone so much, maybe the side game of FTF is not for them.

This is the point, really. Like I mentioned earlier, when the "FTF hunt" was part of getting first dibs on a new cache's great swag, or the eventual presence of FTF gifts (gift certificates, cash, cool themed items), it made more sense to be pumped to race out and grab the FTF. You even got to meet other cachers quite often, and that was cool. (Granted, this was when I lived in Portland, OR, and that may not be the experience others had in their city/state)

Now, the only thing a FTF really has become is nothing more than bragging rights--if you want them. I can't remember the last FTF I got where there was high quality swag to trade, or a FTF gift to be thankful for. Now, it is just another cache, be it as first, or three hundred first finder. Some choose to brag about it, and others (thankfully) don't.

The "you" was a collective one directed at an idea and not specifically addressed to a poster here, though that post did spark my thoughts. Sorry that it was misconstrued, but my point remains. If anybody in the geocaching community wants bragging rights, accomplish something worthwhile, the way Fizzymagic has. If someone thinks that being the first person to lift a lamp post skirt at Home Depot is something worth bragging about then he is free to fill himself with air. The folk who really have bragging rights, like Fizzy, tend to let their record speak for itself.

Edited by briansnat

Bragging? Really? :blink:

TFTFTF!

This is FTF number 167 and continues our 46 month streak of at least 1 FTF per month. TFTS

Seems to be a simple, factual log to me.

Lets see, It says "thanks for the first to find", and documents the amount, and length of streak.

So if someone simply mentions the FTF, they are bragging?

I think the characterization of bragging being based on using the acronym FTF is rather silly. My girlfriend will run out to be FTF on a difficult puzzle or high terrain cache but has never used the FTF acronym in any of her logs, or listed them anywhere because she considers it bragging also. :rolleyes:

Yep. No adrenalin rush if you know everybody's sitting at home giving you a turn.

Beautifully said!!

Beautifully said!!

Our last FTF run netted us 7 FTFs which ain't nothin BUT it's 7 closer to catching THE hound! We went from Schaumburg IL to Kenosha WI to Crystal Lake IL to Huntley IL. Yea. A whole lotta drivin. A whole lotta gas. A whole lotta gas money AND a whole lotta possibilities that when we get there, we aren't the FTF and we just spent all that time driving and all that hard earned cash for nothing! That's the risk you take when you chase! We do it because it's our thing. Would you spend the time? Spend the cash? Probably not but don't condemn us because we do. If you can't deal with the disappointment of finding another sig on the logsheet, 'Chasing' isn't for you!

I got a FTF tonight - 10 minutes after publishing. I have to admit that when an older couple showed up 10 minutes later hoping for their 2nd FTF, I felt a twang of guilt. At the same time, I realized that #1 there was no way for me to know they were going to try for it as they normally don't try for FTFs #2 if I had just stayed home, it's quite possible another FTF hound would have gotten there first.

I thought of how I could handle this in the future.

I could:

1. Do what I normally do. Drive to GZ as fast as possible and find the cache.
  2. Not sign the logbook, but rather replace the cache, sit down and wait for the next person to show up.
  3. If another FTF hound shows up, I could immediately jump up, pretend to be searching, greet them, then as they approach GZ, I could immediately grab the cache and claim FTF.
  4. If the next person to show up is someone who doesn't have alot of FTFs, I could stand up and poke aimlessly around GZ, pretending to search until they made the find, then congratulate them.

Sound like a plan? :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Selectively 'awarding' the FTF based on your personal perception of deservedness?

Perception has nothing to do with it. Either someone's a FTF hound or they're not. BTW, the above was a joke. :rolleyes:

So define a FTF hound so I can decide if I am one or not.

To (sort of) quote Jeff Foxworthy, "If you have GSAK HTML output in your profile that lists your FTF's, you might just be a FTF hound". And what were you doing in Illinois? :laughing:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Selectively 'awarding' the FTF based on your personal perception of deservedness?

Perception has nothing to do with it. Either someone's a FTF hound or they're not. BTW, the above was a joke. :rolleyes:

So define a FTF hound so I can decide if I am one or not.

To (sort of) quote Jeff Foxworthy, "If you have GSAK HTML output in your profile that lists your FTF's, you might just be a FTF hound". And what were you doing in Illinois? :laughing:

That's a relief to know I'm not one.

To answer your other question I did the virtual at the airport while transferring planes on my way to Florida.