Signature Item Collections?

_Shaddow_

I've been collecting personal signature items since I started caching as I find them incredibly interesting, artistic, a great form of personal expression. I think I've got at least 200 items from the staples such as wooden nickles, buttons and cards all the way to plastic severed fingers, handmade figurines and marked up money. I might post some pictures later if there is any interest. My favorites are the handmade, one neat one is a painted rock with googly eyes, and the more creative ones such as a mini-passport. I store them all in independent small plastic bags and I've never shared them, mainly because I've not had a way to do so; also not sure how interesting other people would find them.

I know there must be others collecting; let's hear about it. How big is your collection, what's your favorite item, what do you do with your collection (storage, showing it off) or whatever else is interesting

Yeah, I collect sig items. No idea how many I have, but a bunch. I think I got one of those painted rocks. I like items that are different, not necessarily hand made, but different. Wooden nickels are rather common. I've been accused of leaving my sig item every where. It probably is a fair accusation. What is scary is when I open up a cache I have never been to before and my sig item is right there on the top. So, yeah, I probably leave them everywhere.

Edited by jholly

AS you probably know, Shaddow, I leave mine in caches that can hold 'em on the hikes I do for the HOTM. You have 4 coming to you should I make your Halfway To Kendall Katwalk cache.... Actually, 8 when you figure the card and the jewel together that I leave for the target cache owner.

To the OP, I have collected a few items over the years. Likely the most unique one so far is a shot glass Kealia made a few years ago. With an exception to a handful, and one in particular that I had to find the cache to gain it under the watchful eye of the Sig Item Owner, I typically don't go looking for them in the caches. These are items given to me personally by the Sig Item Owner during a hike they accompanied me on that makes it more memorable for me.

Nice thread to give credit to the creativity of the items.

On my trip to the US I saw many creative and awesome looking signature items. Everything from poker chips to wooden animals with burned inscriptions. I've been very tempted to trade for them and start a collection but before I begin trading for sig items, I would like to have my own to swap with. I'm currently pricing some interesting items to have my insignia assigned to... plastic tokens, metal blanks.. etc :) Eventually I'll work my way up to being a collector of such items.

:blink: Signature items?

I don't think I collect them except for the HOTM which I join the HOTM to head for some great Cache locations. Then if I go TL presents a HOTM piece to you as a member of an exciting Hike.

Once I grabbed a Mid-Mountain Pin but I followed the rule of 5 finds before receiving one. Then, I found a cache with 2 Moun10Bike Pins so I drop a item in and removed a Pin, I did the same on his Wooden Nickel.

Are coins Signature items? Yes/No... one for one? If we use my Coins as an example, I place them for certain Geocachers. I give them clues and what Cache they will be before I drop. TL earned his on one very special HOTM.

To me it is getting out finding a great Cache, good friends and afterwards if time allows is a COLD Beer and maybe a fantastic Burger with time to laugh about that days adventure.

So, if you happen to find time in your schedule you have to spend a day on a HOTM. It will be well worth your time and get a great Signature item.

Hey TL... Did I say that right? :anitongue:

I collect only wooden nickels from other cachers. So far, I have around 200 different wooden nickels collected from other cachers all across America. A few I have traded for by mail, but most I have picked up in caches where we always leave one of our wooden nickels in exchange.

Unfortunately, signature items in general seems to be on the wane since we started caching in 2003. In our early years, it was common to find one or more signature items in a majority of caches that we found. Today, we find very few. It's too bad--we found some really cool signature items back then.

I collect only wooden nickels from other cachers. So far, I have around 200 different wooden nickels collected from other cachers all across America. A few I have traded for by mail, but most I have picked up in caches where we always leave one of our wooden nickels in exchange.

Unfortunately, signature items in general seems to be on the wane since we started caching in 2003. In our early years, it was common to find one or more signature items in a majority of caches that we found. Today, we find very few. It's too bad--we found some really cool signature items back then.

Weren't they, though?

I remember doing one of RdR's caches called Personal Signature Cache, I found it 3 years ago (wow, has it been that long?).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=96248fb9-ab8e-4e90-81bb-17c1c86fddf6

It had 3 large plastic bags of the stuff if my memory is correct, so to some level, he must have collected them in order to supply the cache. Perhaps its a cache you should check out, assuming its still stocked like it was back then. Still active.

Yeah, I collect sig items. No idea how many I have, but a bunch. I think I got one of those painted rocks. I like items that are different, not necessarily hand made, but different. Wooden nickels are rather common. I've been accused of leaving my sig item every where. It probably is a fair accusation. What is scary is when I open up a cache I have never been to before and my sig item is right there on the top. So, yeah, I probably leave them everywhere.

I actually started this topic to hopefully find someone to give my collection. Would you be interested?

I actually started this topic to hopefully find someone to give my collection. Would you be interested?

And we still need to meet up to add to your collection. :laughing:

And we still need to meet up to add to your collection. :laughing:

I didn't say that I wouldn't be keeping a couple of items :)