3 War memorials but which category ?

Hi,

Today i found 3 Memorials on one location in The Netherlands.

BUT i don't know were to post them. They are all not posted yet.

I would place them in one category otherwise there are 3 grids on this location.

Memorial 1: UN Unifil Memorial, 9 names on it, soldiers who died on a peace mission in Lebanon (1979-1985).

Memorial 2: ISAF Afganistan Memorial: 2 names on it, also soldiers who died on there peace mission (2008).

Memorial 3: 1945-1948 Memorial, 30 names on it, Soldiers who died on a war mission in Indonesia.

All names on it are Dutch Soldiers who died on there mission.

The Captain i spoke today was very pleased to hear that i would like to post theme on Waymarking (internet).

It's a perfect location, behind the Memorials are standing 2 Tanks. One Unifil white edition and a camouflage green one.

Also a bust of a famous Dutch Prince in 1700.

Who gives a good idea for it.

Grtz & Thx.

John.

Hi,

Today i found 3 Memorials on one location in The Netherlands.

BUT i don't know were to post them. They are all not posted yet.

I would place them in one category otherwise there are 3 grids on this location.

Memorial 1: UN Unifil Memorial, 9 names on it, soldiers who died on a peace mission in Lebanon (1979-1985).

Memorial 2: ISAF Afganistan Memorial: 2 names on it, also soldiers who died on there peace mission (2008).

Memorial 3: 1945-1948 Memorial, 30 names on it, Soldiers who died on a war mission in Indonesia.

All names on it are Dutch Soldiers who died on there mission.

The Captain i spoke today was very pleased to hear that i would like to post theme on Waymarking (internet).

It's a perfect location, behind the Memorials are standing 2 Tanks. One Unifil white edition and a camouflage green one.

Also a bust of a famous Dutch Prince in 1700.

Who gives a good idea for it.

Grtz & Thx.

John.

I think it's quiet obvious that the first and third memorials can only be inserted in the category I recently created, exactly to host waymarks for this mostly forgotten non-American wars (not saying there is something wrong with Americans on this one, but due to the popularity of the game in USA it's only natural that all significant American wars had their own categories).

This is the category:

Specific Wars Monuments and Memorials

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=1568065d-365d-4cb2-9fbd-f1aba0ac9c1d

As to the second memorial, I believe it should be inserted in the Afghanistan-Iraq War Memorials, if the bright creators of such category allow anyone/anything not American to be included.

I think it's quiet obvious that the first and third memorials can only be inserted in the category I recently created, exactly to host waymarks for this mostly forgotten non-American wars (not saying there is something wrong with Americans on this one, but due to the popularity of the game in USA it's only natural that all significant American wars had their own categories).

We didn't quite get all our wars in but did get most of them. :-) The one I submitted to your category I had waiting around about 4 years waiting for a category. (Thanks)

...if the bright creators of such category allow anyone/anything not American to be included.

The requirements for an entry into the Afghanistan-Iraq War Memorials category are written on the page where you make the entry:

"Waymarks submitted to this category should be dedicated to those who served and/or perished in the war on terrorism in Afghanistan and/or Iraq."

"Memorials dedicated to servicemen of all allied nations in this cause may be submitted."

Unfortunately, this doesn't include "peace keeping troops"...even if they are "Americans".

It is true. We don't allow "anyone/anything" to be included. Everything one has a Lattitude/Longitude and a picture of is not a waymark. Otherwise we would be known as "waypointers" instead of "waymarkers". Every memorial for every brave human being who actually took up arms and waged combat against the world's terrorists in that theater and period are included. American or not.

Is that bright enough for you? If it's still a mystery, here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=939c798a-7e2a-4a69-816d-366b230ec8e5&exp=True

We do not wish to diminish the honorable contribution that has been made by peace keeping troops. But the Afghanistan-Iraq War Memorials category is for memorials to the men...and WOMEN... who fight against the complex array of terrorism in that part of the world. This category, like the Vietnam Memorials category, in addition to the fun of Waymarking, is meant to be a database for generations to come who wish to find and visit these memorials to mourn, revere, and celebrate what brave men did to keep the world safe and free.

If these are close enough to be considered parts of a larger memorial, then they can be combined as one waymark in the Nonspecific Veterans Memorial category which accepts multi-war memorials.

What is the difference between a peace keeping mission and a war?

What is the difference between a "police action" and a war?

For the U.S. - How many undeclared wars do we still call WARS?

I was in Croatia last week and spotted a memorial to those that died in the Yugoslavian break-up war.

Would that Eastern Freedom Fighters, as they started out communist and ended not communist, even though that wasn't the point of it.

The Political Revolutions seems like also a good choice.

I'm just back and still a little jet lagged so I haven't done any homework. Just thought I would ask since the subject is open here.

Ah... I would never accept a waymark like that in in Eastern Freedom Fighters, oh boy that would be so wrong, to mostly anyone well informed about that conflict :-)

P.S. - You just reminded me that I have pictures of a place exactly like that, actually taken in Bosnia.

Edited by Torgut
If these are close enough to be considered parts of a larger memorial, then they can be combined as one waymark in the Nonspecific Veterans Memorial category which accepts multi-war memorials.

It's not my call, but I would disagree. A "Veteran" is a person who was once a soldier whose purpose was to engage in combat. A person who served in a state-sanctioned military, whether they ever served in a hostile theater or not, is often refered to as a veteran. But in the context of war memorials, it is generally intended that "Veteran" means one who served as a combatant in a theater of conflict.

What is the difference between a peace keeping mission and a war?

A war is when two or more political entities (usually sovereign states)engage in armed conflict. Their mission includes the homicide of the opposing personnel, and destruction of the means of war and intelligencia of the opposing forces in order to effect a political end.

A peace-keeping mission is altogether different. A peace keeping unit, although sometimes armed, is not in a theater of combat to engage in combat. Most often, they are troops sent into the theater by a neutral third-party nation or a combination of several nations such as the United Nations. In the course of military conflict, the political bodies of the entities at war will agree to, or be ordered to by world consensus, into temporary armistices or cease-fires. The intent is to take a time out for peace negotiations. Many times, these cease-fires are violated by one or more of the parties engaged in war. A good example is the cease-fire honorably agreed to by North and South Vietnam during the Tet holiday that they both culturally shared. In a deliberate diplomatic deception, and in violation of international law, the North Vietnamese unleashed their fiercest, most organized attack of the war during that Tet holiday, attacking almost every large city in South Vietnam.

When cease-fires are agreed to or ordered, the function of peace keeping troops is to place themselves between the warring parties. They are sometimes, but not always armed in order to protect themselves while retreating in the event they are fired upon. They are there to observe and report, not to fight or enforce treaties.

What is the difference between a "police action" and a war?

Political semantics.

For the U.S. - How many undeclared wars do we still call WARS?

War was declared twice on Iraq, once on Afghanistan. You just don't realize it because of political semantics. An example: Instead of calling a prison a prison, it gets the misnomer "State Correctional Facility" = political semantics. A declaration of war isn't called that anymore. It's called a "Congressional Resolution", and it gives legal authority to the Commander in Chief to conduct war within the boundaries set forth in the resolution.

Is it a car, or an automobile?

Is it a trailer, or a mobile home?

Is it a Garbage Man, or a Sanitation Technician?

Is it a Declaration, or a Resolution?

The U.S Constitution requires Congress to declare war...it doesn't tell them what to call the instrument they sign to do it.

Ah... I would never accept a waymark like that in in Eastern Freedom Fighters, oh boy that would be so wrong, to mostly anyone well informed about that conflict :-)

P.S. - You just reminded me that I have pictures of a place exactly like that, actually taken in Bosnia.

This was in a very small town called Cazma, and about a dozen people on it. I was with the cousin of my b/f. He told me he knew and served with every person on the memorial, and two were in his same class at school. One comitted suicide, but lived for hours after and they had spent his last hours together. It took 20 years to put up the memorial, because the emotions were so raw for so long, and really still are. I've heard so many horrer stories.

This was in a very small town called Cazma, and about a dozen people on it. I was with the cousin of my b/f. He told me he knew and served with every person on the memorial, and two were in his same class at school. One comitted suicide, but lived for hours after and they had spent his last hours together. It took 20 years to put up the memorial, because the emotions were so raw for so long, and really still are. I've heard so many horrer stories.

Yeah, I spent a couple of months in the region and did my homework, which means, dozens of books on the subject read. Anyway... I've been waiting for that waymark in our category :-)