Advice for my first handheld GPS?

ShakeyMic

As mentioned in my newbie post, I'm currently using my iPhone 4 as my GPS receiver but was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations on getting a proper handheld unit.

The iPhone seems OK but not think it'll last with all the rough terrain and bad weather we get. Does anybody else use an Iphone and how do they find it?

I've been looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC 2011 which seems OK. Anybody using one?

Thanks.

Michael.

As mentioned in my newbie post, I'm currently using my iPhone 4 as my GPS receiver but was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations on getting a proper handheld unit.

The iPhone seems OK but not think it'll last with all the rough terrain and bad weather we get. Does anybody else use an Iphone and how do they find it?

I've been looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC 2011 which seems OK. Anybody using one?

Thanks.

Michael.

I've used an Android phone myself, and read on the forums about several others using phones. Apart from the fact that they're not weatherproof and if you drop it into a river you're likely to kill it completely, the battery life is pretty poor compared to a handheld GPS, and is unlikely to last if you intend to do a full day caching.

A good place to start your search for a GPS is Follow the Arrow.

Depending on where you are, several National Trust sites own geocaches, and have Garmin GPS units available to let people try the sport/pastime as a taster.

Edited by The Bongtwashes

I've gone the other way and use my Android phone more than my Garmin Dakota 20. However most of my caching tends to be at lunchtime or of the "cache & dash" variety so battery life and ruggedness are less of a concern than having an extra device to carry. Having said that I wouldn't be without a dedicated GPSr for more challenging conditions.

As recommended above look for a GPS with a proper compass (i.e. not one that relies on GPS signal).

I'd also look for a GPS with mapping capability. For the UK talkytoaster does some excellent free maps based on open Street Map data, but only for Garmin devices. There may be an equivalent map for Magellans but I've never looked.

The 3rd feature I'd consider is a GPS that's capable of paperless caching in the form of either gpx files or pocket queries

Take a look at my resource site, the page on GPS. It should help you decide. I've just bought a Magellan GC so I can write a review of it. So at this moment can't comment. But... if you are going for the less expensive end of the market I'd recommend a Garmin because there are free maps available. The Magellan maps have to be purchased. It's all on my site.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

OK, my initial views on the GC. Rather nice for only £97 (details on my resource site). I was surprised how good the base map was, quite detailed roads (and some topographical features such as forests and lakes etc) of Europe and the USA, but only main roads for the rest of the world. The map seems as detailed as the Open Street maps you can get free for the Garmin GPS's. Screen shot below of the town of Caldicot in South Wales, the GC on the left and Open Street Maps on the right. It comes with 999 best European caches pre-loaded but there are only 3 in the UK and Ireland! You can delete those. Full paperless caching (including cache page images) and will hold 10,000 caches and 500 waypoints. Very easy drag and drop of your PQ files into the GC using your PC.

I'll probably get my full review done by the weekend if you want to hang on! I'll post it on my resource site.

mapcomp.jpg

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

We upgraded to a Garmin Etrex 20 at the beginning of the year and it's FAB! TalkieToaster (google talkietoaster and maps) very kindly compiles free maps and they work peachy with the Etrex 20. This is very handy for seeing just where a cache is, ie, it might be .3 of a mile away, but with maps you can see if that .3 of a mile if the other side of a river or a motorway for example.

It's set up for paperless caching, meaning you can create a pocket query of your chosen area from the geocaching site and download up to a 1000 caches, including all their descriptions, hints, waypoints and recent logs (current to when you created the query).

I would highly recommend this device. It doesn't have a compass built in, I don't find this a bind, just means you have to wander off for 3 or 4 yards to see what direction the cache is from your current location. If you can splash the cash, go for the Etrex 30, this has a compass. In my opinion, don't buy the Etrex 20, there are no maps, it's very basic.

Hope this helps, enjoy caching.

Detailed review of the Magellan GC done! I was pleasantly surprised at how feature rich it was for a unit under £100.

On my resource site. Reviews are on the right. For more info about GPS's in general and their features and paperless caching see the pages on GPS and Paperless.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki