Helpfull tools for newbes

oldcomputerman

My cousin, boca bob, swears by those little convex automotive mirrors you stick on your car's outside mirror to get a wider view. They fit in your hand and your pocket, and they give a wide view of whatever you're trying to look at. I have one of them and also an inspection mirror (a.k.a., telescoping mirror), but I don't actually find them that useful, so I don't normally carry them.

Since the title isn't specific to mirrors, I'll note that the #1 tool to carry is tweezers. I carry a 6" pair of needle nose tweezers at all times and use it regularly.

I carry a small digital camera that I use for looking into hard to see location. I can take a few photos under or into hard to see location and not get dirty.

Take a close-up photo of a TB's or Geocoin's tracking number (but don't post that online). It's often much better than trying to write it down, if you aren't bringing the Trackable back with you.

I usually carry a small digital camera as well, but I've been experimenting with copying 'cropped' down screen shots of the Google air photos onto the card. I'm not 'wired' or paperless, but so far the 'aerial maps' have worked for route finding into a few remote areas with complex trails / roads and natural obstacles. Don't see why the Cache information screen wouldn't work as well, but mostly I just keep a notepad with critical details.

Also good for those nature shots etc. as one expects.

As for a single trackable number, I just edit the cache name field to initials and then add the TB number to the GPS. Ha!

or take it's photo of course.

Doug 7rxc

Hello folks. Please excuse a complete newby question.

I was recently on Floreana, Galapagos and I found one of these rock-like mini caches. Sorry but I didn't know about Geocaching (now remedied). But, gulp, I bought the cache back to Australia with me.

I note on the website that the only marked geocache was one at or near the Post box in Post Office Bay. I found this one by accident perhaps two kilometers away on the beach.

What should I now do with this geocache? I cannot find a number on it, and there is no text on the paper inside the little capsule.

Cheers

Hello folks. Please excuse a complete newby question.

I was recently on Floreana, Galapagos and I found one of these rock-like mini caches. Sorry but I didn't know about Geocaching (now remedied). But, gulp, I bought the cache back to Australia with me.

I note on the website that the only marked geocache was one at or near the Post box in Post Office Bay. I found this one by accident perhaps two kilometers away on the beach.

What should I now do with this geocache? I cannot find a number on it, and there is no text on the paper inside the little capsule.

Cheers

Whoops! Greg, old man, looks like you messed up. Honest mistake, tho. I looked at that cache, and everyone's complaining about it being missing.

You say you found it 2 klicks away, and the logs say there was site maintenance and stuff strewn around, so I'd say the honorable thing to do would be to file an apologetic 'note' log on that cache page explaining what happened as you did here in the forum.

Also, contact the CO and offer to mail it back. It IS at a Post Office, after all! They probably won't want you to, but make the offer.

It's to your credit that you asked how to handle this awkward situation. Welcome to the hobby.

...Bill