laptop - mac

I am using a macbook pro and I put windows on it so I could use gsak well I did not like using it that way and I have had no luck getting anyone to write a program like gsak for the mac .

now I am looking for some thing small and with a usb port and have IE so it can run the api on geocaching page any thoughts anyone thanks.

I use a MacBook Air, as well as a Mac mini, and the Mac garmin software and it works well. I use the Garmin plugin with Safari to put individual caches on my 62sc via the geocaching website which works as advertised, and also I copy pocket query GPX files directly on the GPS via drag and drop. Install maps with the Garmin software. Etc.

I have not tried it yet, but I have VMWare Fusion and Windows XP installed in a VM. I have had good luck with Fusion including with oddball hardware (like using some software that can drive the Rock Band stage kit :), so I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work if I wanted to go that route. To me that's preferable to boot camp as I don't need to reboot into Windows and back. Just launch Fusion.

I have had no luck getting anyone to write a program like gsak for the ma
Well, how much were you going to pay them for it? No one is going to write software with such a limited market and a complex featureset out of the goodness of their heart.

In what way did you not like using Windows on your MBP? I've used XP on my MacBook with VMWare Fusion for several years now just for GSAK and it's worked quite well. Maybe not as fast as running it "native" due to the I/O speed (as much the fault of the 5 year old hard drive as anything else), but it's acceptable.

I am running GSAK on my MacBook Pro under VMWare with no problems at all. Very stable and fast.

I was using a netbook previously and did not care for the slowness of the netbook. Maybe things have gotten faster since then with the netbook stuff.

Before VMWare I ran windows as a separate OS for the Mac with no problems.

You do have options.

I used parallels and xp sp2 it worked but at times it took along time for the computer to come on and it seemed to strugle to back and forth to windows.

Then you either don't have enough available memory in the host computer, or you didn't allocate enough to the VM.

I never power my VM off, and only reboot it when updates require such. If I'm not using the VM, I just pause it. Parallels must have this feature.

and for the software i tried to talk someone into makeing a program and then they can manage it and sell it like gsak is

And they didn't want to put hundreds (probably over a thousand) of hours of spec work into a product that will go into a very small niche market that already has a very dominant player? I'm shocked! Edited by dakboy

VMs require more memory than you might have. Also, Parallels is awful software IMHO. I would recommend VMWare Fusion over Parallels any day. However you're still going to need at least 4 GB of RAM, so if you don't have that much you're going to need an upgrade. Or you can go the Boot Camp route.

I'm currently trialling two ways of running GSAK on my Mac:

1. Running GSAK on Windows7 in a VM, I'm using VirtualBox (from Oracle) which is similar to VMWare or Parallels,except it's free. I'd suggest it's worth trying to see how you like the concept before forking out for VMWare or Parallels. (You still need a copy of Windows of course).

2. Running GSAK in Crossover (from Codeweavers). So far I've not been able to get GSAK to connect to geocaching.com using the API.

Other than the GSAK experiments above, I've only ever used a Mac for my caching needs. I find Garmin's Basecamp to be a useful tool.

I'm currently trialling two ways of running GSAK on my Mac:

1. Running GSAK on Windows7 in a VM, I'm using VirtualBox (from Oracle) which is similar to VMWare or Parallels,except it's free. I'd suggest it's worth trying to see how you like the concept before forking out for VMWare or Parallels. (You still need a copy of Windows of course).

Both Parallels & VMWare offer free 30-day trials so you can compare them to VirtualBox before you make a final decision. Personally, I found VBox lacking in performance and polish, but it's been a few years since I looked at it.

it may be that I need to add more ram and if I figure out how to check it I will and try paralels again

now I have looked into the memory macbook pro 17"

processer 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo

memory 2 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram

start up disk macintosh HD

now it looks like all I can up grade to is 4 gb right ?

where would u buy your mac memory from apple or 3rd party

Edited by Shrek & Fiona

it may be that I need to add more ram and if I figure out how to check it I will and try paralels again

now I have looked into the memory macbook pro 17"

processer 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo

memory 2 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram

start up disk macintosh HD

now it looks like all I can up grade to is 4 gb right ?

where would u buy your mac memory from apple or 3rd party

Except for the Retina & Air models, never buy your RAM from Apple. It's a ripoff.

A Core 2 Duo 17" Macbook Pro? That's at least 2 years old and will not run the current OS X (Mountain Lion). If you're looking to buy a new machine, shop new or the refurb section of Apple's online store.

It may be possible upgrade that 17" to 8GB, but it depends on other factors. It might be an "unofficial" support, so Apple won't tell you; Crucial's RAM finder may.

You can upgrade the Core i5/i7 models to 8GB for under $40 via Newegg, 16GB for under $100.

Most of the advice above is spot-on. VMs are memory hungry as you're running a complete OS within another OS.

A Core 2 Duo 17" Macbook Pro? That's at least 2 years old and will not run the current OS X (Mountain Lion).

Most of the C2D systems run ML fine. See http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/ for the final word.

I'm typing this on a five year old Core 2 Duo system running Mountain Lion. Admittedly, it's about the oldest system that'll run ML.

Most of the advice above is spot-on. VMs are memory hungry as you're running a complete OS within another OS.

A Core 2 Duo 17" Macbook Pro? That's at least 2 years old and will not run the current OS X (Mountain Lion).

Most of the C2D systems run ML fine. See http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/ for the final word.

I'm typing this on a five year old Core 2 Duo system running Mountain Lion. Admittedly, it's about the oldest system that'll run ML.

My mistake, I was told that my 5 year old MacBook (C2D, Santa Rosa) couldn't run ML (and per that link, that is true), so I jumped to the conclusion that all systems of that vintage weren't capable.

Apparently the MacBook released immediately after mine can run it.

Two ideas if you need gsak functionality on a mac -

I too have tried crossover, vmware, bootcamp, etc. The bootcamp solution works the best of those, but it's also a pain to set up and switch between.

I currently run GSAK in a native mac os app, that lives in my dock, and works mostly similar to a native mac app. How - winebottler. I don't recommend this to anyone who isn't fairly technically proficient, as it takes a bit of trial and error (and/or web sleuthing) to get it set up, but once you do, it works really nicely. It's not a complete solution, - all kinds of little parts of the complete gak experience don't work right, depending on how able you are in setting up wine extensions, but for basic use it works well. I can load up a big collection of pq's, perform all kinds of filtering and sorting and such, and output a nice little gpx file I can load on my oregon easily.

Another native mac app that has a quite a bit of gsak functionality is iCaching - find it in the app store. It takes a bit of getting used to, as it works in different ways, but seems to be fairly complete, and still has an active developer - it's not abandonware yet, like so many mac geocaching apps.

going to try it again I loaded parallels and windows xp sp2 again this time i loaded it as a mac so there is a folder right next to all the other icons so it works just like it is a mac rather than windows then I put an old version of map source on here to and it seems to lock so that would mean i need more ram

seeing how my mapsource is so old it wont send to my oregon 550 cause it is usb and it wont save a gpx to the desk top either if it would do that I could drag and drop it to the gps

anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to operate this setup I have thanks

I am using a macbook pro and I put windows on it so I could use gsak well I did not like using it that way and I have had no luck getting anyone to write a program like gsak for the mac .

now I am looking for some thing small and with a usb port and have IE so it can run the api on geocaching page any thoughts anyone thanks.

I have an iMac and I just found a nice app for it that seems to work (almost) exactly like GSAK does on Windows. It's called (DUH!) "iCache"; it's a $15 app from the App Store. I'm still learning how to use it on the Mac, but so far it has a number of GSAK's same features (cache page lookup, description lookup, etc.)

I have an iMac and I just found a nice app for it that seems to work (almost) exactly like GSAK does on Windows. It's called (DUH!) "iCache"; it's a $15 app from the App Store. I'm still learning how to use it on the Mac, but so far it has a number of GSAK's same features (cache page lookup, description lookup, etc.)

Does it have the ability to filter on all issues (size, terrain, difficulty, type, etc)?

Does it have access to the API to log all 100 caches i do in a day at one time?

Does it import the geocache_visits file from my Garmin and mark the caches in the DB as Found ot DNF'de?

Can you have multiple databases i.e. Found, California,Vacation, Unknowns etc?

i tried to install GSAK with WineBottler on my Mac running the latest OS.

Is it normal, that connecting to geocaching.com isn't possible with GSAK and Wine? There is no error or something, but the Connecting-Wheel turns forever....

Are there some tricks to get GSAK running on Mac?

Simon

i tried to install GSAK with WineBottler on my Mac running the latest OS.

Is it normal, that connecting to geocaching.com isn't possible with GSAK and Wine? There is no error or something, but the Connecting-Wheel turns forever....

Are there some tricks to get GSAK running on Mac?

Simon

No, I can't get full functionality with the winebottler version of gsak either. If you pretend it's an older version of gsak, and don't use the usb connectivity, it works fine. I haven't used a pc with any kind of regularity since about 2005, so most of the gsak upgrades since then have missed me, so I don't miss them too much. I just download my pq's manually, load them into gsak, do whatever sorting and parsing I need to do, generate whatever gpx files I need to load onto my gps's to the desktop, and then load them onto the gps's manually. It's kind of a pain, but it's still faster than rebooting into windows. And much as I'd like to love iCaching, there are too many things it doesn't do that a bare bones version of gsak can do, like exporting just child waypoints (for my magellan explorist).