Left

I SO MUCH !!! know the feeling with L-R

man I am tired of useless hints :-)

another one , by the tree (there is a trillion, we are in a forrest dude)

or under a stone, (oh big help this whole area is one huge pile of stones)

PLEASE:

USE good usefull, helpfull hints, or just dont !!

and use ENGLISH too, no matter where you live...

One of my favorites - "Not in ivy". There's no ivy at GZ.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Love that one. I'm going to use it!!

Yeah, here in the northwest we get a lot of "by the mossy log." I've seen that a lot and look around and there are probably 25 of them within 50 feet and none at GZ.

There is one near here where they say, "rock" where there is large field of rocks next to a rock wall. It couldn't possible NOT be near a rock.

"Tree" is another that drives me nuts. We're in a forest for Crimnies sake.

I just looked for a cache that had something about sticks in the hint. It was a wild area in the back of a park. I've never seen so many sticks in my life (although none at GZ of course). If I ever need a stick I now know where to go. Yes sir, "sticks-R-US". Sticks, sticks, everywhere sticks. Regular stick supply store.

I always give the hint "behind a tree", so there's no confusion. Unless it's in front, of course. So you only have to look at one half of every tree in the forest.

:P

Edited by kunarion

Uses of "left" and "right" clue me into the fact that the CO can't see things from other points of view. That can be very useful in interpreting other parts of the description and hint, both in this cache and the CO's other caches.

I hate the variations of "This shouldn't stump you." It always means "look in the stump", but it should mean exactly the opposite: that it's not in the stump. I don't mind "stump" or "hung up" hints in general, just don't put them in negative sentences if they're suggesting positive information.

Another common failure is a hint that duplicates what you already know by going to GZ. "In the picnic area." Well, duh!

On the other hand, I once used a variation of "no hint needed" because I wanted to stress that if you think you need a hint, you're over thinking it. (My reviewer recommended against the vacuous hint, by the way.) In retrospect, I agree that wasn't really a good idea. As it turned out, Mother Nature quickly made this hide harder than it was originally, so I changed it to something helpful.

:laughing:

Love the 'base of the tree' ones. Like others pointed out, you brought us into the woods!!! Of course it's by a tree.

'No hint needed' is another one that drives me nuts. Can't find it, there's a thousand 'TFTC' logs, and now you deem it's so easy I don't need hint. I feel like Einstein now!

Unless it is under a pile of rocks in the woods...

My brother becomes frustrated when we are paddling rivers and someone says go left of that rock, the viewer sees one rock, my brother sees 1000 rocks. Are we having fun yet!

Driving directions are fun too! Turn 1 mile b4 where the old Fire Station use to be!

Just use the co-ordinates and try and find it. That is hunting which is what we are susposed to be doing. Getting a descent signal helps a little as well. Sometimes the wonderful techno signal could win the tampolene event in the Olympics. Hunt for it! And keep hunting till ya find it! Got to be there somewhere! Right!

Love the 'base of the tree' ones. Like others pointed out, you brought us into the woods!!! Of course it's by a tree.

'No hint needed' is another one that drives me nuts. Can't find it, there's a thousand 'TFTC' logs, and now you deem it's so easy I don't need hint. I feel like Einstein now!

Unless it is under a pile of rocks in the woods...

A friend hid a cache called "No Stone Unturned" in a small rock field. Cache of course was not under any stone, but rather an old log.

"Base of tree" can be a good hint. It eliminates the rest of the tree. Once I'm sure I have the right tree, I don't need to look for a hanger in the branches or something shoved into the bark. We have huge oak trees that can cover a 100' radius with hundreds of branches to hang a cache in.

'East of the trail'

What about when that's the hint, but it's an east-west trail! I've had the misfortune of running into a couple of those.

Those drive me nuts also.

People who don't know their directions are almost as bad as those who don't know distance. I did one the other day where the page said cache was within eight feet of trail, the hint said within 6 feet of a type of tree - the only matching tree was about 25 feet from the trail...

Used a hint a short while ago.... "In pine tree". 'Twas a double-whammy!

There were no pine trees! Lots of fir trees, but not a pine tree anywhere in sight, or a spruce for that matter.

Nit-picky I know, but it was a very tight re-growth forest with nuttin' but 8'-15' fir trees. True bushwhacking.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

One of my recent finds specified "NOT in the briars!", due to logs about how bad the briars are. Unable to find the container, and seeing GZ could easily be on the object appropriate to the cache description in a spot engulfed in briars, I also walked into the briars. Turns out, the cache isn't in that spot. It truly is at least 3 feet away from the briars, if you plan the route. :ph34r:

One of my favorites - "Not in ivy". There's no ivy at GZ.

I just looked for a cache that had something about sticks in the hint. It was a wild area in the back of a park. I've never seen so many sticks in my life (although none at GZ of course). If I ever need a stick I now know where to go. Yes sir, "sticks-R-US". Sticks, sticks, everywhere sticks. Regular stick supply store.

This made me LOL! :laughing:

In his younger years (he's 18 now), my son was known as 'stick boy' because he would pickup and carry around any old stick. Once his grandfather filled his bed with sticks as a joke. "Sticks-R-Us" is great!

I always give the hint "behind a tree", so there's no confusion. Unless it's in front, of course. So you only have to look at one half of every tree in the forest.

:P

This one got a chuckle out of me.. Thanks! :lol:

and use ENGLISH too, no matter where you live...

Why?

Yeah, I'm confused about that one, too. The hint (and the rest of the cache listing, for that matter), should be in the most common local language. If a cache is somewhere where a lot of tourists are likely to be looking for it, adding additional languages can be a good idea. But requiring English regardless of the location? Nope, that doesn't make any sense. Not everyone in the world speaks English.

"Email us if you need a hint"

Because everyone has access to email while out in the field while searching... :lol:

Yes this is my pet peeve too. Because do you really think the CO is sitting by their computers waiting for emails from cachers who need a hint. I say NOT!. Or if you have no internet access, or CO no longer active. Might as well leave it blank cause it's the same thing.

>But requiring English regardless of the location? Nope,

>that doesn't make any sense. Not everyone in the world speaks English.

IT MAKES alot OF SENCE..

Turists actually pop up, allover, even at the most remote locations,

this mean ANY cache can be visited by a turist,

all webpages in general, and also groundspeaks webpages are written compleetly in english

this means the CO is able to understand at least a little bit of it, to be able to use his computer

and to be able to use the listing website.

I dont say ALL text must be transferted to English..

just add a simple one liner in English if you want to tell something to not only locals

but to ANY one in the world who might visit one day.

hints is the only place turists look, since they dont understand any words in the cache text anyway

they just like a nice trip to a new location, and maybe even see new and special things too,

some LOVE to know a thing or two about the special bridge or sculpture they look at,

the CO got alot of this info on his page, but hey it is UNREADABLE since it is not in English..

there is no way for a turist to go online and translate stuff while out on the road,

they do not have cheap or free data.

and there is no way to translate all PQ files, before they are transfered into a GPS unit.

I just say, it is fine a CO is no expert in English, you dont need to be.

just use google translator and paste the result into your page,

and all of us who travel alot can be happy.

Edited by OZ2CPU

>But requiring English regardless of the location? Nope,

>that doesn't make any sense. Not everyone in the world speaks English.

IT MAKES alot OF SENCE..

all webpages in general, and also groundspeaks webpages are written compleetly in english

this means the CO is able to understand at least a little bit of it, to be able to use his computer

I dont say ALL text must be transferted to English..

just add a simple one liner in English if you want to tell something to not only locals

but to ANY one in the world who might visit one day.

hints is the only place turists look, since they dont understand any words in the cache text anyway

they just like a nice trip to a new location, and maybe even see new and special things too,

some LOVE to know a thing or two about the special bridge or sculpture they look at,

the CO got alot of this info on his page, but hey it is UNREADABLE since it is not in English..

there is no way for a turist to go online and translate stuff while out on the road,

they do not have cheap or free data.

and there is no way to translate all PQ files, before they are transfered into a GPS unit.

I just say, it is fine a CO is no expert in English, you dont need to be.

just use google translator and paste the result into your page,

and all of us who travel alot can be happy.

Sorry, have to disagree with you.

I just visited a total of 5 countries in Europe, with a total of 3 different languages (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and Czech Republic). All of the caches I found were in the native language (I think one had the listing in both the local language and English). My German skills are enough to get me in trouble, but I was able to find them all. Google Translate helped where my skills didn't.

I don't see why you need to force someone to do anything in a language they don't know, on the chance a tourist may look for their cache.

Used a hint a short while ago.... "In pine tree". 'Twas a double-whammy!

There were no pine trees! Lots of fir trees, but not a pine tree anywhere in sight, or a spruce for that matter.

Nit-picky I know, but it was a very tight re-growth forest with nuttin' but 8'-15' fir trees. True bushwhacking.

A lot of geocachers think that every evergreen is a 'pine'. Cedar, spruce, hemlock: they're all 'pines'. There was a cache near a dog park called "My Fir-ry Friend." It was hidden in the yew. Oh, well.

First, not all tourists are English-speaking. A German cache near the French border is much more likely to get French-speaking tourists than English-speaking. It would then make the most sense to have a German and French hint.

Second, on many (every?) pages of Geocaching.com, near the bottom, there's a dropdown called "Choose Your Language" that allows you to change the language the site is displayed in. Someone with little to no knowledge of English can still use the site just fine.