Home radius challenge?

KongoCache

I am fairly new to GeoCaching (4 months) and really, really like it for a number of reasons. One of the lesser reasons (but still important) is I love a challenge. I am currently working on my streak (41 days) Jasmer Challange, Delorme Challenge (MD-DE) and am always keeping an eye out for D/T combos I haven't done yet. One challenge I have never seen talked about (maybe I have just missed it) is what I think of as a "Home Radius Challenge". It is very simple, list all caches in order by distance from your home coordinates and see how far you can get down the list with no DNFs. Obviously archived and disabled don't count. My goal is 100, but alas I am only at 8 as I have to finish a puzzle and wait for an almost for sure muggled cache to be disabled/replaced. One of the reasons I like this challenge is that it forces me to push through on some of the harder ones and/or get over my shyness and contact the CO for hints/to see if it is still there.

So has anyone seen this type of challenge? What is your home radius number?

A fun idea, perhaps...but not practical due to the variables based on where the cacher lives.

An urban cacher might never be able to complete this due to many new caches being placed faster than they can go after them.

A more rural cacher might only have 20 caches within 50 miles, and there may be no new caches being placed in their area (except by themselves).

I am fairly new to GeoCaching (4 months) and really, really like it for a number of reasons. One of the lesser reasons (but still important) is I love a challenge. I am currently working on my streak (41 days) Jasmer Challange, Delorme Challenge (MD-DE) and am always keeping an eye out for D/T combos I haven't done yet. One challenge I have never seen talked about (maybe I have just missed it) is what I think of as a "Home Radius Challenge". It is very simple, list all caches in order by distance from your home coordinates and see how far you can get down the list with no DNFs. Obviously archived and disabled don't count. My goal is 100, but alas I am only at 8 as I have to finish a puzzle and wait for an almost for sure muggled cache to be disabled/replaced. One of the reasons I like this challenge is that it forces me to push through on some of the harder ones and/or get over my shyness and contact the CO for hints/to see if it is still there.

So has anyone seen this type of challenge? What is your home radius number?

Not applicable, since I ignore keyholders in street corner newspaper boxes, and parking lot LPC's. :D In addition to that, there's about 10 canoe/kayak caches within 2 miles of my house. I have neither, but have multiple offers from Geo pal's to borrow, and I live near a canoe rental place.

Anywho, I'd be very interested to see if a home radius challenge is allowed. Anyone know of any? Any reviewer types care to comment if they're legal, and would be published?

Problem I see is that it would/could get progressively harder as more caches are placed. So a person looking to complete it next year will have more work than someone trying now.

Also, since previous finds are now required to be allowed for challenges (you can't state "all finds must be after dd/mm/yy") I could have completed the challenge back when I first started, so I get to claim the smilely today.

I believe the concept you are describing would be "blackout" challenge. Though I've never seen it described as "with no DNFs". I think describing it that way would discourage people from logging DNFs. Though I suspect that your focus isn't on DNFs, it's on finding the nearest 100 caches.

There are some blackout challenges around from the early days of challenge caches.

I think it would be difficult to design one now that could meet the current challenge guidelines. It's a complicated notion, and tough to think how to verify, and how to preserve the cache seekers privacy. I haven't found the 100 caches nearest me at this time, but I might have at some point. Hard to say. Verification would be really complicated, and without access to know all the archived caches in my vicinity at a particular moment, I don't see how any challenge cache owner could know or how I could know. Using GSAK, I find that as of Jan 1, 2006, I had 100 finds within 11 kilometers of my house. What i don't know is whether there were caches active at that time in that radius that I hadn't found.

Just FYI, those with the need to find all the caches within X radius of home used to be referred to as radius slaves.

This is not as common as it used to be, now that there are so many caches. Cachers who find that there complex puzzles that don't look like fun, or kayak or climbing gear caches nearby find it easier to just hunt what they like, and not worry about a radius.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

As someone who has created and done blackout challenges, I think what the CO is saying is different. A blackout would be the same caches for everyone, a radius clear out would be unique to each cacher, unless you are doing a radius from the same spot for everyone.

Personally I think there is no way to do this challenge for the CO without being certain. You could ask for proof via a screenshot of their map, or nearest finds query, but you do not know how many of the caches they have "ignored" unless you happen to go to that cache page and looked. There are cache radius challenges out there. Let me find one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f02d66a8-4bdd-49eb-a573-0bd1a2d6c8f2

Its a 10 mile radius for traditionals and premium member caches will not count against you, but it could well be all types of caches.

Blackout challenges can be created with the new rules. Here is one created 4 months ago and another 6 months ago. The latter one is easier to complete and probably to prove but they are both blackouts.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=83b0dcba-621a-40eb-90b9-43164b8b14cf

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9b23fd62-2a69-4d9f-bc40-55f7f4ce078f

Personally, I think if you are going to do a radius challenge, you are going to have to have a bit of trust in the finders because it will be hard to prove every single find is there.

Edited by lamoracke

When you say no DNF's, do you mean DNF's or any cache that you havent yet claimed as a find?

With one exception (we are saving a cache near home as an emergency for our streak) we have more than 40 pages. But that list includes the many many caches that we own. I assume I would need a PQ to exclude my own caches to get the list you want.

The problem is with pocket queries, technically speaking the Groundspeak rules forbid you from sending your pocket queries to other people. I have received them from friends for various GSAK purposes, but asking for them in a challenge may or may not be problematic.

When I had a blackout, I would not count inactive caches against a finder and if there was an active cache where it was quite clear it was not findable based on some recent DNFs, then I would not hold that one against them either at the time of their blackout.

Owned caches would not count against you in any radius or blackout challenge. No CO is going to expect you to find your own cache.

Years ago, when cachers were fewer, I worked on my Ten-Mile List. Not sure that I ever cleared it. Currently, there are 177. I've decided I'm more interested in fun, than climbing powerlines. Then there are the kayaking caches (That someone who shall remain nameless) set out. Sorry, I don't kayak. Evil mystery caches to the south east. I'd love to solve them! I've long ago given up on them. Not interested in going into the military reservation either. The cache is outside the fence, but within the military reservation. Nope. Thanks. Surpised you got that one published!

And, of course, my caching companion lives on the Jersey side of the Hudson River. His Ten-Mile List includes all of Manhattan, most of Queens, and large parts of The Bronx and Broolyn. We did work at that for a while. But the tolls are becoming extreme. $12 for the GWB or Lincoln Tunnel (one-way toll) $5.50 round trip on the Whitestone, Throgs Neck or Queens-Midtown Tunnel. We gave up on those a long time ago. Not too bad when there were just a few. But not too many for us to even consider.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I hear you Harry, its hard for me to keep my radius of either 10 miles or 20 kilometers, to the west I have a ferry which would cost me $32 round trip every time and to the NW a different ferry which would cost about $25 round trip every time I go. Have finally given up my clear out radius I think. I had almost 21 km once, far as I was going to get.

My goal is 100, but alas I am only at 8 as I have to finish a puzzle and wait for an almost for sure muggled cache to be disabled/replaced.

So in order to keep your streak intact, you're willing to wait for a cache to be disabled/replaced that you're pretty sure has been muggled? In other words, it's technically a DNF, but you think it's been muggled, so instead of logging the DNF and breaking your streak, you're just going to wait and see what happens to it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole challenge?

With one exception (we are saving a cache near home as an emergency for our streak) we have more than 40 pages. But that list includes the many many caches that we own. I assume I would need a PQ to exclude my own caches to get the list you want.

Along the lines of my reply to KongoCache, by saving one good cache near your home to find in case you have an off day and can't find the others, doesn't that defeat the purpose of your own personal challenge of caching for a streak? If I'm trying to challenge myself by seeing how many consecutive daily finds I can get, keeping an "ace up my sleeve" in the form of a guaranteed go-to cache seems like I'd just be cheating myself.

To each their own. I'm not trying to dictate how someone should play their own game, just making observations. :unsure:

Several years ago I had found every cache within 15 miles from home. I have no idea how many caches that was but there are currently 350 active caches within 15 miles with about 60 of them not yet found. At that point I realized that in order to extend my distance I would pretty much have to limit my caching to weekends or take time off from work. I go caching a *lot* less than I used to but it's nice to know that if I want to head out for a few hours there are plenty of caches I can seek. About half of the caches I have found this years were much further than 15 miles from home.

Along the lines of my reply to KongoCache, by saving one good cache near your home to find in case you have an off day and can't find the others, doesn't that defeat the purpose of your own personal challenge of caching for a streak? If I'm trying to challenge myself by seeing how many consecutive daily finds I can get, keeping an "ace up my sleeve" in the form of a guaranteed go-to cache seems like I'd just be cheating myself.

To each their own. I'm not trying to dictate how someone should play their own game, just making observations. :unsure:

I guess we have changed topics.

We have a streak going of finding at least one cache a day. Some days that means going to town and finding one or two park and grabs, some days it involves walking to a few on nearby trails, and some days it means spending the day out in the wilderness grabbing a bunch. AND some days it means staying close to home to get a cache. In order to keep the streak going, we have to plan a few days in advance. The streak means finding at least one cache a day, and doing it honestly without fudging the dates, etc. We have saved one and when we finally go for it, it will be a find for that day.

Personally, I think if you are going to do a radius challenge, you are going to have to have a bit of trust in the finders because it will be hard to prove every single find is there.

I think that this is true with just about every challenge cache.

more and more challenge caches pop up all the time,

the topic seems more and more lame all the time,

maybe I am wrong, maybe it is fun for the number statistic freaks,

however the home clearence challenge is one I like,

specially when they are designed to handle TRADITIONALS only !!

since some puzzles in my area are designed to be almost unsolvable.

my home radius is now clean up to 5.1 km that is over 3.1 miles.

One of the reasons I like this challenge is that it forces me to push through on some of the harder ones and/or get over my shyness and contact the CO for hints/to see if it is still there.

But be prepared to receive no hints. Not every cache is for everyone. I would not want to help someone who needs more than a little help and has not the appropriate background and capabilities with a cache just to enable him to clear off a certain radius.

My home radius is very small as there are high terrain caches that I cannot do nearby and moreover the starting point of a 130km long distance hiking cache from Graz to Mariazell along a pilgrimage path starts not too far away. I do not care at all about such parameters, however, at all.

Cezanne

specially when they are designed to handle TRADITIONALS only !!

since some puzzles in my area are designed to be almost unsolvable.

I guess it depends on for whom. Some climbing caches are also undoable for a lot of cachers. I like it when high terrain cachers realize that also they cannot do everything and that everyone has strong and weak points.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

>everyone has strong and weak points.

good point,

there dont exist a T rating I can not handle,

becourse I dont mind purchasing more equipment,

or ask friends to bring some of theirs,

a few times I was also called in for a hi T rated cache by friends,

joining forces can be a lot of fun, no matter if it is:

muscles or brain or patience you need :-)

I know I dont got it all my self..

>everyone has strong and weak points.

good point,

there dont exist a T rating I can not handle,

becourse I dont mind purchasing more equipment,

or ask friends to bring some of theirs,

Equipment and support by others does not necessarily replace capabilities one does not have.

a few times I was also called in for a hi T rated cache by friends,

joining forces can be a lot of fun, no matter if it is:

muscles or brain or patience you need :-)

I know I dont got it all my self..

You could apply the same argument to high difficulty puzzle caches if it you do not care who is mastering the real challenge.

I care and so I leave out the caches for which I do not have the required capabilities.

Cezanne

Several years ago I had found every cache within 15 miles from home. I have no idea how many caches that was but there are currently 350 active caches within 15 miles with about 60 of them not yet found. At that point I realized that in order to extend my distance I would pretty much have to limit my caching to weekends or take time off from work. I go caching a *lot* less than I used to but it's nice to know that if I want to head out for a few hours there are plenty of caches I can seek. About half of the caches I have found this years were much further than 15 miles from home.

Wow, I have seen several people post here low numbers like you did for a cache radius. two years ago there was a thread about how many caches were in a 10 mile radius from your house. I had 1099. It is 1299 now. Considering that is more than 2x my total finds, I will never get close to that. Not to mention that I am not that good at puzzle caches, and there are some very tough puzzles around here. I think I could easyly get to 2km if I tried (that is where there is a challange that I have no interest in - 50 finds in a day).

Edited by Andronicus