Review process?

Foxymoron

Hi, I created my first geocache yesterday with my son, put it in place and created it on the geocaching.com site, and it says it has not been reviewed yet. I don't understand the review process - will a reviewer just appear or do I have to find one? How long will it take? Will the reviewer publish the geocache if and when they approve it?

Thanks.

Hi Foxymoron - great username :D

When you enabled that listing, the website sent an automated email to the Validated email address on your account. Your questions are largely answered by that email.

It's important that you see that email! So check for it.

It's sent to the address you used for creating your account. To see what address is used, go to Account Details

http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx - under Your Validated E-Mail Addresses . I think a lot people use junk email addresses when they first set up their accounts, and don't check them. It's critical to cache ownership that you do.

If you have submitted a cache and enabled it for review, but don’t see any email, the email may be in a spam filter or blocked by your service provider. It comes from "noreply@geocaching.com" - this tends to trigger spam filters.

Be sure that "noreply..." is on your list of approved email senders (whitelist).

If the cache is enabled and awaiting review, you don't have to do anything. A reviewer will get to as time permits, hopefully in week or less.

If they have questions, they'll log to the cache page - those logs will be emailed to the same email address, and will come from "noreply", as will all logs by cache seekers. You really need to be checking for those and be able to receive them.

Good luck! and thanks for placing a new cache.

Just an FYI, if you placed a cache near the first one you found, I'd guess that area will require that you have explicit permission, the reviewer will ask about that.

A lot of forest lands in the UK have particular geocaching rules. You can see those from The Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) land agreements page http://gagb.co.uk/land-agreements-database/

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Once you've created your cache page and all the details are correct then you submit it for review by your local reviewer. When you submit it, it automatically goes to that reviewer's queue of caches waiting for review and publication - You will receive an automated email which says,

Thank you for submitting a new cache. We have received the following:

GCXXXXX, [Name of cache]

http://coord.info

It is peak season for cache placement. Your volunteer reviewer will strive to begin the review process within the next 7 days. Unpublished caches cannot be viewed by the general public. If you wish to view or edit your cache listing in the meantime, please login and use the URL above.

The reviewer will check it for compliance with the Guidelines and will either publish it or, if there are any problems/issues that need to be addressed, he will temporarily disable the cache listing and you'll receive an email of his log explaining why it's been disabled and what you need to do next.

Please read up on lots more information about hiding your first cache and getting it reviewed here:

Help Center - Review process

MrsB

Ah ok, i did get the emails but didn't readit properly! "It is peak season for cache placement. Your volunteer reviewer will strive to begin the review process within the next 7 days."

7 days!?!?! I can't wait that long! Too excited about it.

The cache is on National Trust land, but it is all public access and there are many others in the same area.

Thanks for your help :-)

Ah ok, i did get the emails but didn't readit properly! "It is peak season for cache placement. Your volunteer reviewer will strive to begin the review process within the next 7 days."

7 days!?!?! I can't wait that long! Too excited about it.

The cache is on National Trust land, but it is all public access and there are many others in the same area.

Thanks for your help :-)

If it's on National Trust land you'll need to get specific permission.

As you're in the UK, you might find it helpful to read this: Getting permission (UK)

MrsB :)

We are also having a bit of a 'go slow' in the UK at the moment with reviewing. Our main mapping resource we use when reviewing isn't available. It's a government run map and sometimes at weekends it goes down!. For your future reference, you can access this map too so you can check locations. It will show you National Trust land (and other land where permission is required). This page on my resource site shows you how the map works and has the handy MagicMapIt link you need - except it won't work this weekend :lol:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/magic.html

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

I am the same as the OP, I placed my cache, it was temp disabled for Forestry Commission permission which I now have and it is sitting there waiting to be reviewed again. As it is my first cache I just want it out there. LOL

I realise that all the reviewers are volunteers and it is not their fault. Keep up the good work guys.

I am the same as the OP, I placed my cache, it was temp disabled for Forestry Commission permission which I now have and it is sitting there waiting to be reviewed again. As it is my first cache I just want it out there. LOL

I realise that all the reviewers are volunteers and it is not their fault. Keep up the good work guys.

Make sure you've re-enabled it so that it goes back into the reviewer's queue. ;)

MrsB

As far as I know it is, it says

Cache Issues:

This cache has not been reviewed yet. Once it is published, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing. GC3TPNR

Maybe I haven't done something right ?

As far as I know it is, it says

Cache Issues:

This cache has not been reviewed yet. Once it is published, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing. GC3TPNR

Maybe I haven't done something right ?

That sounds OK.

If it was not in the review queue, at the top of the cache listing you would see

2b55610d-7123-42c0-8fcc-baac1edea2ea.jpg

(^^^ That's what's at the top of one of our not-yet-submitted cache pages.)

MrsB