Notification of pics

Afterburned

I only have a few trackables out there, and enjoy keeping ones I find on mission.

I have been disappointed by the small logs that I get emailed through - just the fact it is logged in / out of a cache.

Until I was showing my caching dad my TB's and saw pics & decent logs going back a year that I had no idea were on there!

I think we should be emailed when a log is updated as well as when it is created. Thoughts?

Ps TB484AQ

Edited by Afterburned

"visit" logs and edit-to-log never generate an email. Pretty much, it has always been that way.

"visit" logs have not been around all that long. It used to be log in/log out (dipping) -- and that did (does) generate emails.

Many photos are posted as an edit to a log, thereby -- no email.

With the advent of "auto-logging" via phones, I dunno that many would appreciate emails for each and every "visit" log. Pages upon pages and pages of blank "visit" logs.

Perhaps if any log with a photo upload would generate an email..... this would certainly be a welcome addition. The photo upload being the trigger.

Flaws of TBs. You get to post a Note when you first pick it up and have no story to tell. When you Drop a TB you are not offered a chance to say anything about the adventure. Photos are never reported to the owner and I have TBs that ask for photos.

Next someone will tell me that I should just look at the TB page.

Well, y'know BlueDeuce, you could just look at your TB pages.

:P

In an Ideal Geocaching World it would be good to know when photos are added but we can work around the imperfections: If I log a trackable and I know I'll be taking photos for its mission then I mention (photo later) in my retrieve log. Other times when I add photos I'll do a Note log, "Photos added"... then immediately delete it so the owner gets a heads up.

MrsB

Well, y'know BlueDeuce, you could just look at your TB pages.

:P

In an Ideal Geocaching World it would be good to know when photos are added but we can work around the imperfections: If I log a trackable and I know I'll be taking photos for its mission then I mention (photo later) in my retrieve log. Other times when I add photos I'll do a Note log, "Photos added"... then immediately delete it so the owner gets a heads up.

MrsB

We do the "photos coming...." thing and note later on, too. But......

BD is also correct. The way logging of trackables is set up now..... it is almost as if they are an 'afterthought' by TPTB, when in fact, they are the driving force behind many, if not most newb's. Proper logging techniques for trackables is (somewhat) hidden within the website when it should be one of the foremost items easily available to a new cacher, but nooooo, I get "geocaching 101" as well as "Geocaching in 2 minutes", tweets & vids, "shop with us", and advertising with us.... yes it is far easier to advertise with geocaching.com than it is to learn how to properly log or track a trackable.