Trying to decide on a GPS

I'm trying to decide on a GPS unit specific for Geocaching and would like some community advice.

I already own a Nokia Lumia 900 and the Geocaching Live app on it is amazing. It very quickly gets me to the site fast, the cache lookup is impressive and the ability to view and create logs is fast and easy. It's something I'll probably still use to do my paperless caching with and get me around town from cache to cache site. My wife owns an iPhone 4s and her Geocaching app works fairly comparatively.

What the Lumia and iPhone lacks though is GPS capabilities. It's a cellphone first and a GPS about a distant third or fourth. Updates are sporadic, typically taking 30 seconds to a minute if you're doing the drunken bee dance and moving slowly and it doesn't do well at all under trees or on cloudy days. It's also kinda clumsy toggling back and forth between GPS mode and the log screen taking several seconds to "resume", and it burns up the phone's battery charge very fast.

I'm mostly looking for a GPS that updates position fast and accurately. The ability to store cache data seems commonplace on modern GPS units so I'm not too worried about that, but I'm also kinda fond about birds-eye view map that Bing provides and would like the option for something similar, even if it means paying extra. Touchscreen vs buttons isn't a big deal for me as long as the touchscreen is good, like most modern smartphone touchscreens. Ability to see the screen in the sunlight is a must; another thing my Lumia lacks. Personally, I'm a tech geek so "learning curve" has no weight to my decision.

I've somewhat narrowed it down to either an Oregon 550 or a GPSMAP 62s... something in the $350 price range. I like the idea of the Garmin Chirp, and am interested in a GPS that is compatible with it. I'm also welcome to other suggestions and other brands as well. Most of the comparative reviews I've found are outdated for older models, and most user reviews tend to be biased to the vocal few who receive a lemon.

To sum up my choice of buying an Oregon 450 (although others may differ!)

• GSMAP 62...screen too small
  • Montanna...Too big/heavy (and a bit pricey)

So the one in the middle was the Oregon, which I've been very happy with. To be honest I don't find reading the screen that difficult in sunlight...but I live in England so don't have much experience of it ;)

The Oregons sunlight visibility is poor at best. The next model up cured that. With either you can buy a yearly Birdseye subscription that allows you to use your computer to download and install satellite images.

This post is confusing to me. I find the OR 450 has excellent sunlight visibility, in fact the brighter the better. Perhaps the poster was referring to the earlier OR 300?

I have an OR 450, it is my go to GPS. I believe the 550 has a camera and the OR camera is the best of the lot, better than the MT, from posts I've read.

Good info. I'm leaning toward the 550, though I haven't dismissed the GPSMAP 62s. I'm thinking any unit will look better in direct sunlight than my phone. I haven't found anything but is there any major benefits to the GPSMAP over the Oregon besides touchscreen vs. buttons? The $50 price difference would make me think so.

From all my research though, I'm actually kinda surprised how undeveloped some of the tech is. At this point, I'd expect these dedicated GPS units to have 4"+ capacitive screens, WiFi connectivity, and an open application platform. I'm surprised I'm still reading about issues with satellite tracking, lockups, and touchscreens dying.

My husband and I have both the Oregon 450 & a 62s.

We've had the Oregon for over a year and the 62s for about a few months.

I will say... the 62s screen is 'crisper' and easily visible compared to the Oregon. The 62s is NOT a touch screen and probably why the screen better.

Obviously - the touch screen on the Oregon is nice, however...fumbly fingers & accidental touches put the GPS on a different screen and sometimes its hard to remember how to get it back to where you had it.

The method of typing things into the 62s isn't bad at all. Takes a little longer but its not 'annoying' at all.

Sometimes with the Oregon, you have to press on the screen 'harder' to get any response (harder than say, the touch you would make on an iphone).

My husband likes the Oregon for mounting on the kayaks. Its smaller in size (per say). However, the 62s just feels good in the hands, screen is nice, and I could honestly say...we like the 62s better.

In terms of accuracy....some days they're both exactly the same. Other days, they're a bit off from eachother, but nothing out of the ordinary. We haven't seen any obvious differences in accuracy with the external antennae vs not.

Edited by Lieblweb
Good info. I'm leaning toward the 550, though I haven't dismissed the GPSMAP 62s. I'm thinking any unit will look better in direct sunlight than my phone. I haven't found anything but is there any major benefits to the GPSMAP over the Oregon besides touchscreen vs. buttons? The $50 price difference would make me think so.

The OR and 62s are essentially identical. Same CPU, same OS, but the different visuals account for the price. Also perceived value by Garmin.

From all my research though, I'm actually kinda surprised how undeveloped some of the tech is. At this point, I'd expect these dedicated GPS units to have 4"+ capacitive screens, WiFi connectivity, and an open application platform. I'm surprised I'm still reading about issues with satellite tracking, lockups, and touchscreens dying.

Garmin is light years behind Apple in product design and sophistication. All Garmin's are released with many bugs which are worked out over subsequent YEARS, Apple rarely has bugs. So if you need Apple polish, you'll be disappointed.

They do work well and are reliable. The preceding post has some good comparisons.

At this point, I'd expect these dedicated GPS units to have 4"+ capacitive screens...

The screen on the Montana is plenty big. Many people think it's actually too big.

Resistive touch-screens are used for a reason. They can be used with gloves which is rather important for anyone living anywhere it gets cold. I've been out in -20 with my Montana (in Montana) and the touch-screen worked flawlessly and my hands stayed warm inside my gloves the whole time. Using a capacitive screen in that scenario would be a disaster.

Another reason not to use a cell phone as your dedicated GPS if you live and/or play in cold temperatures. Resistive screens are actually a selling point and on the Montana series the touch responsiveness/behavior rivals tablets and phones (Oregons/Dakotas seem very "stiff"). For example on the Montana I can swipe the map screen and it scrolls along like you'd expect it to on a tablet.

Edited by yogazoo

The Oregon has better screen resolution... More pixels FTW :)

I'm so "on the fence" between these two, it's not funny. Ok, one more question. Birdseye on the GPSMAP 62s. I know it has the smaller screen so how is it? Can you zoom in and make out fine details like you can with something like Google-maps Satellite view? I find I use the map-overlay a lot for trying to track down hard to find caches (at least if their coordinates are accurate).

With the GPSMAP, the brighter screen is a bonus, and having been burned badly by resistive touchscreens a couple times now, I'm slightly more in favor of the button interface.

With the Oregon, the larger, higher res screen is a major feature, and admittedly, many interface actions are easier with a touchscreen interface, such as panning around a map and zooming.

I'm so "on the fence" between these two, it's not funny. Ok, one more question. Birdseye on the GPSMAP 62s. I know it has the smaller screen so how is it? Can you zoom in and make out fine details like you can with something like Google-maps Satellite view? I find I use the map-overlay a lot for trying to track down hard to find caches (at least if their coordinates are accurate).

With the GPSMAP, the brighter screen is a bonus, and having been burned badly by resistive touchscreens a couple times now, I'm slightly more in favor of the button interface.

With the Oregon, the larger, higher res screen is a major feature, and admittedly, many interface actions are easier with a touchscreen interface, such as panning around a map and zooming.

Doesn't matter how detailed the satellite imagery is, the 62s will always have ~60% LESS pixels than the Oregon to show you that image.

IMO you've done a good job narrowing it down to the two best units......you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Have you considered your preferred control scheme?

GPSMap62's buttons and D-Pad are great for map control and flipping between pages.

Oregonx50's screen is better for typing.

There's a few features on each that the other doesn't support, but the majority of features are available on both.

I have a 550 and really like it. The downsides I have found are #1 it sucks battery life like you wouldn't believe. I am always changing batteries. I imagine this has something to do with the touch screen? #2 Sometimes have a hard time seeing things when in bright sunlight. I don't have anything else so I couldn't compare, but these are 2 issues I have noticed.

Other than that, like I said, I am very happy with it. It works very well for geocaching. I did a chirp cache with it too and it worked perfectly.

Something to consider...the Oregon 550 has a larger screen. For me, screen size is one of the big reasons I upgraded to a 550.

Just compared cameras...I don't know what your expectations are for this. The 550 has a 3.2 megapixel camera; the 62sc a 5 megapixel. The 550 doesn't take that great photos, especially in dim light. Sometimes it does come in handy if I need to snap a photo of something, it means not having to remember my camera. But no facebook-worthy photos, I'm afraid.

Edited by The_Incredibles_