TOPO! Discontinued

Looks like National Geographic has discontinued the TOPO! State Series program. Looks like Mountain Lion is not compatible with the current version of TOPO!. Any other program read the maps? Is everyone just tossing their State Series Maps into the trash?

Why toss the software in the trash? It still works, and for the most part things won't change, so it is still useable.

I've been using the same Topo Colorado for 9 years and it works perfectly for me.

IMHO.... as long as a program does what it is supposed to do I'll continue to use it until something better comes along. In the case of the state Topo series.... nothing has (yet).

Expert GPS will read and convert .tpo files(to .gpx) as well as GPS Babel will convert them.

Will that handle any more than tracks and waypoints?

"that".....???? Which are you asking about....TOPO or GPS Babel?

GPS Babel is a conversion tool......Expert GPS (IMHO) is the most full featured, and most capable, GPS /Mapping and data editing software available...period !

Looks like National Geographic has discontinued the TOPO! State Series program. Looks like Mountain Lion is not compatible with the current version of TOPO!. Any other program read the maps? Is everyone just tossing their State Series Maps into the trash?

Why toss the software in the trash? It still works, and for the most part things won't change, so it is still useable.

I've been using the same Topo Colorado for 9 years and it works perfectly for me.

IMHO.... as long as a program does what it is supposed to do I'll continue to use it until something better comes along. In the case of the state Topo series.... nothing has (yet).

But the newest version of TOPO! doesn't run on new Macs with Mountain Lion?

Expert GPS will read and convert .tpo files(to .gpx) as well as GPS Babel will convert them.

GPS Babel is a conversion tool......Expert GPS (IMHO) is the most full featured, and most capable, GPS /Mapping and data editing software available...period !

Should have said "they", as in I doubt that either program you mention will decompile National Geographic maps (raster) and convert them into either another raster format, like Birdseye/CustomMaps or a vector format.

Should have said "they", as in I doubt that either program you mention will decompile National Geographic maps (raster) and convert them into either another raster format, like Birdseye/CustomMaps or a vector format.

My Bad...

I misinterpreted that the OP was needing to read/use TOPO "files" in another program and not "maps".

Ever since NG took over,the TOPO program has gone "downhill". Their "tpo" files aren't even fully compatible between their own different programs, and the "TOPO Explorer" program was a terrible failure.

There would probably be a better chance of "converting" the new Mountain Lion OS to run PC programs......HA !

[Expert GPS (IMHO) is the most full featured, and most capable, GPS /Mapping and data editing software available...period !

Looks like a nice application, and Global Mapper costs about twice what ExpertGPS Pro does, but GM supports way more data types (and datums and projections?). IMVHO, if you are making maps GM is the most painless way to travel. It can export to MP and OSM for example.

Edited by seldom_sn

I have a Mac and running Mountain Lion and NG Topo maps 2.6.2 will not run on a Mac only on Windows (My Version that is) is there an Application that will convert TPQ Files for something else a Mac can Read??? I am just learning and Live up in Way Northern CA (Near Mt Shasta) Thanks in advance for the Help. Krisy

Edited by Screaming_Tut