Help New Cache set up - not plotting on map properly

snarl123

I am setting up my first cache. When I enter coordinates they do not plot on the map in the right space - like the map is not calibrated. I entered coordinates of nearby cache to double check - same problem - used the coordinates on the cache description - they are correct but they also plot in wrong place, in proper proximity to my cache. tried from two computers as well. How do I fix so it plots in proper place on map, so I can set up my cache?

I am setting up my first cache. When I enter coordinates they do not plot on the map in the right space - like the map is not calibrated. I entered coordinates of nearby cache to double check - same problem - used the coordinates on the cache description - they are correct but they also plot in wrong place, in proper proximity to my cache. tried from two computers as well. How do I fix so it plots in proper place on map, so I can set up my cache?

Which map... the online one or on paper. If online (cache page) I'd suggest checking that you are compatible in settings.

Datum should be WGS84, and you should be using DD MM.mmm format for coordinate entry.

On paper you would have to enter data as above then adjust for the datum of the paper map.

Either can result in a shift of location.

Also bear in mind that the online maps / air photos seldom show the exact location due to poor registry with the coordinates due to their systems for various reasons.

I'd go with mismatched settings and entry formats myself for a start.

Edit: What are you using to obtain the coordinates? Give us some information. But not the coordinates of course, yet.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

entering on the online form to set up cache - entered as xx.xxxxxx, -xxx.(NW)in format / coordinates pulled from site are correct (husband pulled them with GPS and he is ex-military pilot so can read a GPS ;-) that was my first question LOL - they plot on paper map correctly, and logical compared to cache closeby. When you set up cache in the online from on website, you must confirm location on map - the google map that comes up doesn't put the location in the right place - puts it about 30 miles away. Also puts the cache on the road next door about 30miles away - can't figure this out. thx for help

Oh, and only reason I am using that option of the 4 formats is because I can't find the degree symbol on the computer. Says above is acceptable format.

Do not use the degree symbol. It only messes up your submission. It is a BUG that they have not corrected yet. The website knows what you mean when you type the correct format w/o the ° symbol (use the Accessories > System Tools > Character Map for it and many others -- just not when you submit a cache).

EDIT:

Use WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format (copied directly from the guidelines). Again, drop the ° !

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Oh, and only reason I am using that option of the 4 formats is because I can't find the degree symbol on the computer. Says above is acceptable format.

I've advocated for changes to that part of the submission form because it's misleading, but nothing has happened yet. Even though the form says "Coordinates can be entered in one of the following formats", it neglects to mention that this is not an exhaustive list. The form will accept MANY other forms of the coordinates. For example, the following formats also work (I'm using the example coordinates from the form):

N47°36.373 W122°19.924

N47°36.373, W122°19.924

N47 36.373 W122 19.924

N47 36.373, W122 19.924

N 47°36.373, W 122°19.924

N 47 36.373 W 122 19.924

N 47 36.373, W 122 19.924

N47.606217 W122.332067

N47.606217, W122.332067

47.606217 -122.332067

N 47.606217, W 122.332067

N 47.606217 W 122.332067

and so on...

Anyway, what you can do is copy and paste one of the examples into the coordinate box, then change the digits to yours. That way you don't have to wonder whether your format is correct or not.

Anyway, what you can do is copy and paste one of the examples into the coordinate box, then change the digits to yours. That way you don't have to wonder whether your format is correct or not.

Or, you could skip all the messing about and go directly to the old style submission form. :mad:

I tried the new one last weekend, and after 30 minutes of messing about with it I went back to the old way and had my cache page ready in about five minutes.

That thing is NOT ready for prime time yet.