How do you guys handle high-traffic areas

Flying_German

Greetings Cachers.

I'm fairly new to geocaching and I am also a business traveller.

This puts me in the unique position of being able to not just cache in my home zone but everywhere in the country.

Mostly I'm in cities and my biggest problem as a beginner are not the ones that are hidden in the boondocks.

I was looking for a cache around the Jacksonville, FL airport but it was hidden right next to a well-frequented gas station.

So how do you act in this situation?

Casual (with the Blues Brothers Soundtrack playing on the iPod when Jake and Elwood sneak into the Palace Hotel Ballroom past all the cops)

or is it more like a wait for the right moment and be quick?

These days where everybody is completely paranoid about people that root around in shrubs and bushes, how not to draw too much attention?

Because sometimes not even after dark it's any easier, I think it would be even more suspicious.

Or is it more like this, that people are busy with their own tasks that they pay little to no attention to others at all?

Thanks for any (serious) advice on this matter, I couldn't find anything about Stealth Mode here.

Sometimes I use CITO as a cover. I just start filling a plastic bag with trash. When I spot the cache, it goes in the bag too. Then I take a break, sign the log, and get back to work. After I replace the cache and pick up some more trash, I throw the bag of trash in a garbage can as I leave.

Sometimes I make sure I know where the cache is (read the description, hint, and previous logs as necessary), and then just walk right up to the cache and grab it.

Sometimes, I just look like I'm really interested in whatever I think the cache is hidden on or near. This is especially appropriate for public art caches.

And a clipboard and orange safety vest can make you practically invisible.

The main thing is that you NOT act sneaky, like you're trying to hide something. Just go about your business.

The main thing is that you NOT act sneaky, like you're trying to hide something. Just go about your business.

Yes, think of how you would search with nobody there, and do that. Act as if you always inspect a guard rail, you're fascinated by them. :surprise:

Unless you're practically climbing over people, nobody will even remember seeing you.

Sometimes I use CITO as a cover. I just start filling a plastic bag with trash. When I spot the cache, it goes in the bag too. Then I take a break, sign the log, and get back to work. After I replace the cache and pick up some more trash, I throw the bag of trash in a garbage can as I leave.

Good idea- I'm going to save that one for later!

Within an urban setting I typically scout the area first. If there are people near where I believe the cache to be I come back at a better time. Early morning/Late night caching is a great time to hit those busy spots without much trouble.

One thing I absolutely hate to find in a high traffic cache is a pill bottle used for a cache.. especially a prescription bottle. I'm not sure about this area but I keep finding them without tape and/or some other covering... and it makes the stealthy element increase that much more because no one really wants to be seen hiding a pill bottle.

To be honest I don't try to be sneaky. I used to try and I just can't. I'm looking and searching and I get so involved that I cannot look casual. People sometimes ask what I'm doing and I explain geocaching. Others ignore me. Don't know what they think. Probably that I'm looking for a hidden drug stash. That's what I always think they're thinking.

I'm not a fan of urban hides to begin with but I like a quick cache once in a while. If it gets muggled I think that's just the risk the CO takes when hiding in a high traffic area.

Just like the risk of my caches getting burned up in a controlled burn or eaten by a boar. I know the area and what could happen.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

This is extremely clever, I might use this one.

I agree, for heavens sake, dont try to be sneaky or look left and right, to see if anyones watching. It makes you look like youre going to rob a bank.

Just be confident and act like youère supposed to be there. Make sure you read the description, hint, and logs ahead of time. This will help make for a quick grab.

When you first get to GZ, I would suggest doing a general survey of the area, to find possible hiding spots, while playing with your GPS. People will just think you are texting and ignore you.

And sometimes youll just have to skip it, and come back later.

Go with the casual approach. Try not to be furtive. I've cached in London before and no-one around batted an eyelid.

Pack an Orange vest and a clipboard.

Someone finding one of our caches did exactly that once - we have a cache on a sign, two cachers turned up with hi-viz jackets and cleaning equipment, as if they were contractors cleaning the sign!

I push the Stealth Mode button on my GPSr and just make the daring grab, sign and return container.

Cool! You own one of those?

Pro tip: some Garmin GPS receivers have a "C" in their model name, which designates "Cloaking Device". Unfortunately, it only works when nobody else is around, and the promised firmware update to fix this have never appeared. Maybe just as well, since the lightning bolts, distorted athmosphere and cracking sounds when it's engaged, are dead giveaways.

Edited by fotimyr

And a clipboard and orange safety vest can make you practically invisible.

Honestly, I work pest control, and both of these are amazing suggestions. In real life application I've found that if I walk into a restaurant kitchen that I've never even seen before, or start walking into restricted industrial areas like I'm supposed to be there, they accept that I'm supposed to be there without question.

Just go in with confidence and if anyone asks, be honest and explain what you're doing.

Depends on the area. Tried one today in the parking lot of a hotel. Thirty feet of fence to inspect. Not my cup of tea. Gave up on that one.

On the other fin, I have climbed over someone! Girl napping in the gazebo. I got the other cachers to point to the center of the lake, and scream out "Look at that!" Even the girl's parents looked the other way.

High muggle areas - no one sees you. Lady leaning against the sign the cache was on. Dropped my back pack, tied my shoes, grabbed the cache. Repeat to return the cache. Neither she nor her husband saw a thing! Not the other twenty people milling about. But the one in the parking lot of the motel? Nope.

Have someone do a weird pose as they grab the cache and pretend to take a picture. Repeat the process when placing it back in it's hiding spot.

If I'm caching alone I always keep my back pack on and a thick notebook/pen out. I just claim to be doing a field study/observation for a course at school.