Geography Error

I recently started a thread on how to go about getting several caches listing the wrong state corrected. It wasn't much help. For one cache, contact the cache owner and let him/her know. The cache owner is responsible for correctly setting both the country and state a cache is listed in.

Yea, I've contacted the CO, a TN reviewer and even Groundspeak. The reviewer advised that (s)he would have to check with Groundspeak since the cache was an older one. GS said to take it back to the reviewer. I guess it's in a perpetual loop. I assumed it would be changed since accuracy is a fundamental aspect of the game.

I recently started a thread on how to go about getting several caches listing the wrong state corrected. It wasn't much help. For one cache, contact the cache owner and let him/her know. The cache owner is responsible for correctly setting both the country and state a cache is listed in.

Yea, I've contacted the CO, a TN reviewer and even Groundspeak. The reviewer advised that (s)he would have to check with Groundspeak since the cache was an older one. GS said to take it back to the reviewer. I guess it's in a perpetual loop. I assumed it would be changed since accuracy is a fundamental aspect of the game.

I assume the coordinates are accurate. There is nothing in the guidelines that say the listed state has to be accurate. First order is the CO correcting the mistake, assuming the Google map is correct. If he does not respond or refuses, the an email to the reviewer may or may not correct the "problem". I guess the only time it really matters is for a challenge cache.

I assume the coordinates are accurate. There is nothing in the guidelines that say the listed state has to be accurate. First order is the CO correcting the mistake, assuming the Google map is correct. If he does not respond or refuses, the an email to the reviewer may or may not correct the "problem". I guess the only time it really matters is for a challenge cache.

Well it affects pocket queries by state too.

Well it affects pocket queries by state too.

Okay, so you miss one.

You're correct in that the coordinates are spot on...and that is ultimately how the user will find the location, so in that regard, it's not an issue.

However, it does affect PQ's and other non-essentials, such as favorite points by state, challenge caches, county maps, etc. Again, not a major issue, especially if one uses GSAK, becasue these details can be manipulated.

Edited by TerraViators

Does anybody notice a huge error on GC84C0?

You mean that the cache claims it is in Tennessee but according to the map is actually in North Carolina? Not the first time I have seen this. One time it was off by miles, this is only feet.

WOW.

I have been reading this thread and didn't click on the link to see where this was located. Now I see where it is and it brings back memories.

We did our thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 1999 and Clingman's Dome is the highest spot on the trail. It seems from the map that we would have been walking in TN at that point. We took the walkway that leads to the long elevated circular ramp that climbs to the lookout in NC. It is difficult to tell from the satelite map but the ramp may cross the state line and perhaps that lead to the confusion.

I recall that it took us a few days to walk through the Smokies. The trail was mostly on a ridge line with TN on our left and NC on our right. When we stopped for the night, we would get our water from the stream down the hill in TN on our left, and our bathroom duties would be down the hill on the NC side.

I think the statute of limitations has run out on 'fixing' that one.

After ten years, it ain't gonna get fixed.

That was my first thought. I think this request is about 10 years and 1100 finds too late. I doubt anyone with power will make the change, for the same reason they won't change a cache type: Stats.

You mean that the cache claims it is in Tennessee but according to the map is actually in North Carolina? Not the first time I have seen this. One time it was off by miles, this is only feet.

One cacher who was having issues with his reviewer's publication policies said he sometimes would assign a different region to his more "disputable" caches so they would end up in another reviewer's queue. He claimed he wasn't the only person doing this.

I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this particular case. I'm just saying it might explain why some other caches might be outside their assigned areas.

One cacher who was having issues with his reviewer's publication policies said he sometimes would assign a different region to his more "disputable" caches so they would end up in another reviewer's queue. He claimed he wasn't the only person doing this.

I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this particular case. I'm just saying it might explain why some other caches might be outside their assigned areas.

If you follow the Clingman Dome road back to the main highway, you will see that it starts on the Tennessee side of the border. So if the cacher drove up from TN he may never have driven by a sign advising that he was crossing the border. So he walked to the tower, took his coords on the tower and prepared the cache page, perhaps never realizing his mistake. All their other hides and most of their 29 hides were in KY and WV.

Maybe that explains the mistake.

PA