Downloading to GPS

doylepl

:blink: As a complete starter I have just signed up and paid so that I can download the details of caches to my hand unit. However, it seems that I only get the general blurb (and other logs) about the cache and not the vital 'Additional Hints'. Is there something I may be doing wrong?

The amount of data you get will vary greatly with GPSr. That said, the GPX files generated from the web pages also provide limited data. You'll need to set up some pocket queries and download those to install on your GPS. There is much to learn, but you're on the right track. A good waypoint management package is a must that can import the PQ's and let you better plan your caching. I recommend GSAK (www.gsak.com). By far, the best waypoint manager I've used, and with the scripting capabilities, can put some fantastic information at your finger tips in a GPSr, despite some of the limits of the GPSr.

The unit I use is a Garmin Oregon 450. I have downloaded the GPX files using the last icon on any line in the list of caches in the locality (as requested by me). When I look on the GPSr for the download I can see all details for difficulty, terrain, etc., the file name and from whom and, of course, the co-ords for the cache. Also there is the description and general text which is on the record - but not the Additional hints. It finishes with the logs entered by others for the cache.

My understanding is that pocket queries will enable me to make up a particular and selective list of caches which I can download to my GPSr but I don't see how that will make any changes to the actual cache information (which should include those hints) that will be transferred.

As an aside to my main question it appears that, even where I have deleted the files from the GPSr for a cache and then reloaded them, a few caches have not transferred ANY of the description text, etc.

The unit I use is a Garmin Oregon 450. I have downloaded the GPX files using the last icon on any line in the list of caches in the locality (as requested by me). When I look on the GPSr for the download I can see all details for difficulty, terrain, etc., the file name and from whom and, of course, the co-ords for the cache. Also there is the description and general text which is on the record - but not the Additional hints. It finishes with the logs entered by others for the cache.

My understanding is that pocket queries will enable me to make up a particular and selective list of caches which I can download to my GPSr but I don't see how that will make any changes to the actual cache information (which should include those hints) that will be transferred.

As an aside to my main question it appears that, even where I have deleted the files from the GPSr for a cache and then reloaded them, a few caches have not transferred ANY of the description text, etc.

Sorry, I appear to be duplicating texts in the forum - I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Anyway! - yes, I presume that the Hint is held in a separate field in the database but it would then appear that this field firstly needs to be decrypted and then transferred to the GPSr and this is not happening. You suggest an option, but I can see nowhere to make any choice on options when choosing to transfer.

Is it the case that by using a PQ the cache file has a different format? An example of where I use to transfer files is given in this link by using the most righthand cell on any cache listed - ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=54.212591&lng=-5.9001&dist=1 )

If I set up a PQ would the resulting information contain the hint field (decrypted?) which I could transfer to the GPSr?

I use the Garmin Dakota 20 and it's doing a great job.

It displays everything you need, including hints and previous logs.

Overlay the preloaded basemap with topo or satellite map and you have all the info you need to be successful.

:blink: As a complete starter I have just signed up and paid so that I can download the details of caches to my hand unit. However, it seems that I only get the general blurb (and other logs) about the cache and not the vital 'Additional Hints'. Is there something I may be doing wrong?

I have an Oregon 550 which is functionally identical to the 450. The first obvious question is, are you sure the cache you're looking at has a hint? Many don't. Seems like a no-brainer, I know, but maybe...

Second, you really don't have to run the GPX file through GSAK or similar if you don't want to. When you receive the GPX file just save it somewhere on your computer, unzip it, plug in the Oregon which will show up as a drive on your computer, and drag and drop the GPX file over to the Oregon. Done.

I've never had a problem with the hints not showing up, either with this method or running them through GSAK. As stated earlier, however, the hints will not be in the same field as the description, D/T ratings, etc. You will have to tap the little icon on the lower right to pull up the menu with "Show Hints" IIRC....I don't have mine in front of me now either They will appear decrypted.

Re-reading your earlier post, I think I see where you're getting confused....the "option" you are referring to is not an option to transfer the hints over to the device... The hints are included in the GPX data, you don't have to do anything extra to transfer them, decrypt them, or view them.

The option that was referred to is on the Oregon, when you are in the Navigate screen you will see a little icon in the lower right of the screen Or I think if you're using the Geocaching dashboard you tap the little treasure chest icon. This opens a menu of options like Mark as Found and stuff like that. "Show Hints" should be in this menu

Gotchya!! When I'm on GPSr viewing the route, I then cancel out and choose the geocaches icon again. This brings me to a screen that shows I'm currently navigating to the previously chosen cache and provides a list of menu choices one of which is to show the hint.

It seems to be the answer, - useful when you know how!

Many thanks to all for leading me to this 'geocache'.

I now await my next problem.