Sights for visually handicapped people

I once tried to create a category called "BIG & small" for waymarks that are "big" and also show a "small" model of themselves. I have seen this several times and most of them were churches, clock towers etc. In other words, they were typical tourist attractions. Some had models for visually handicapped people, others had models just to watch, but not touch and I tried to combine them all in one category. To increase the spectrum even more I also tried to include other models like for example birdhouses that look exactly like the house of their owner. There was both positive and negative feedback, but in the end the idea didn't make it through peer review.

My guess is, that - beside other things - the category included too many different kinds of models, so I want to start it over again, but this time I want to make it a special category for sights/landmarks that offer a model for visually handicapped people.

I still think it is a good idea and would be most helpful for visually handicapped people, if they could find all the interesting buildings of their vacation area that offer a model that they can touch to "see" what the building looks like. Many waymarkers said that "Exact replicas" would cover such things, but this category has replicas that are hundreds of miles away from the original, replicas that you can't touch or replicas that are almost the same size as the original.

So, I would like to rewrite the category and focus on models for visually handicapped people. I think that a good description is essential for peer review, so any native speaker who likes the idea and voluntarily would correct my description and everything would be very welcome.

Please let me know what you all think. Is there a chance to make a category for these models?

Edited by PISA-caching

I once tried to create a category called "BIG & small" for waymarks that are "big" and also show a "small" model of themselves. I have seen this several times and most of them were churches, clock towers etc. In other words, they were typical tourist attractions. Some had models for visually handicapped people, others had models just to watch, but not touch and I tried to combine them all in one category. To increase the spectrum even more I also tried to include other models like for example birdhouses that look exactly like the house of their owner. There was both positive and negative feedback, but in the end the idea didn't make it through peer review.

My guess is, that - beside other things - the category included too many different kinds of models, so I want to start it over again, but this time I want to make it a special category for sights/landmarks that offer a model for visually handicapped people.

I still think it is a good idea and would be most helpful for visually handicapped people, if they could find all the interesting buildings of their vacation area that offer a model that they can touch to "see" what the building looks like. Many waymarkers said that "Exact replicas" would cover such things, but this category has replicas that are hundreds of miles away from the original, replicas that you can't touch or replicas that are almost the same size as the original.

So, I would like to rewrite the category and focus on models for visually handicapped people. I think that a good description is essential for peer review, so any native speaker who likes the idea and voluntarily would correct my description and everything would be very welcome.

Please let me know what you all think. Is there a chance to make a category for these models?

Since the category is going in a different direction, do you possibly have an example you can post?

I'm not sure if this is what's meant, but this 3D orientation table outside York Minster is a small model of York Minster and surrounding buildings. It also has Braille markings for visually handicapped people to help them interpret the model.

I'm sorry I don't know how to place pictures directly into this area but if you use this link it will take you to my way mark. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMAZDT_York_Minster_Orientation_Table_York_UK

When you get there you'll need to click on to the picture to see the detail of the model and the location of the Braille.

I would go with "sites" rather than "sights", speaking as a native Eng speaker (from Australia).

So, braille marked models of tourist sites for visually impaired people. My first question, are there enough of these to warrant a category? I cannot recall seeing any in my travels. Any idea of how many there are? If, say over 500, then the idea would be worth developing. I would be willing to help.

I used the word "sights" as in sightseeing, but maybe "landmarks" or "tourist sites" is better. I trust the native speakers on that one.

@ dtrebilc: Orientation tables like this are also very helpful for visually impaired people, but usually they don't offer much detail of a specific building. See for example the photos on this webpage. There is much detail on the windows, the roof and everything. This gives a very good impression, even if one can't see the building.

@ Ianatlarge: Thanks for the improved title. I can't say how many are out there, but within Austria (not Australia :)) I know of at least 2 or 3 and Austria is pretty small and I'm sure that there are more than 3, but I haven't visited all tourists sites in Austria yet. So, chances are pretty high that there will be 500 or more worldwide and I hope that in the future many more models will show up.

@ fi67: I think I already explained why I think that Exact Replicas isn't any good for the purpose of the new category, but if you need another argument: Living without the ability to see, is definitely hard enough. We shouldn't make it more difficult by "hiding" the models for visually impaired people in a bunch of copies of the statue of liberty or the liberty bell etc. I have gone through this category and there are replicas that are either behind glass or almost as huge as the original or hundreds of miles away from the original. I have also seen models that would perfectly fit in the new category and I would be happy, if those were listed in the new category too. Of course there might be some redundancy, but as soon as we have the new category, I hope that people will either list there OR in the Exact Replicas category. Another remark: For me the Exact Replicas category is usefull for people who don't have the chance to visit the original, while my category is for people who are AT the tourist site, but can't see it. That's quite a difference and even if it might be difficult to avoid redundancy we should still be able to work this out.

@ Max and 99: If they weren't models of sites, what models were they?

Edited by PISA-caching

The models are of animals at the zoo. They are placed on pedestals at waist-height, and have information in braille for visually-impaired guests. Their purpose is to provide a model of the animal so that those guests who can't see the real animal on site can feel the model and explore dimensions and features.

The models are of animals at the zoo. They are placed on pedestals at waist-height, and have information in braille for visually-impaired guests. Their purpose is to provide a model of the animal so that those guests who can't see the real animal on site can feel the model and explore dimensions and features.

That's a marvelous idea and I would definitely want these models in my category. I don't know how many of these models the zoo has. If there are too many to list them all separately, I would list one of them and include a list of the other species in the waymark's description. BTW, those wouldn't be accepted in the Exact Replicas category, would they?

Where is that zoo?

Edited by PISA-caching

I just did a little research and found a German online database for tourist offers for visually impaired people. They list 502 touch objects in Germany alone. Some of them wouldn't qualify for being a waymark, but most of them would. So, I don't think that the quantity will be a problem.

Forgot to add the link. Here it is.

Edited by PISA-caching

The university campus where I live is one of the premier institutions in the country in offering education programs for the handicapped, including visually impaired, and for training those who work in the field. So, most places on campus are marked with braille as are many places out in the neighborhood. But this is not limited to our area. Even in Seoul subways have braille and public walkways have guides for the visually impaired. I don't know that there tourist sites design specifically for the visually impaired, many do have braille or some other sort of adaptive features. So, I think you would have to define very carefully what would be included. Also, there is already a category for recreational facilities for the handicapped, which would include visually impaired.

This is a nice concept, but I think it may be more difficult than you think.

@ BruceS: I like that model a lot and it would definitely fit in the category.

@ silverquill: In my original posting I was talking about 3D objects that are made for visually impaired people, so that they can see/feel what the original object/building/whatever looks like. Of course, some of these objects also have braille writings to give additional information. But the 3D objects are what I'm looking for. Maybe I misunderstood you, but braille markings only wouldn't be enough for the new category.

@ Tante.Hossi: No, I didn't read your mind :D , but obviously it is a subject that hasn't been covered yet or at least not good enough. Of course you could list those two in the Exact Replicas category, but imagine being visually impaired and try to find something for your needs in that category. I have at least 2 waymarks that would also fit in there, but I'm hoping that my category will come true and then I will list those two there exclusively.

The description needs to be very clear to avoid redundancy (not only with the Exact Replicas, but also with the "3D Map Models of Our World and Beyond" category), but I think that the subject is worth the efforts.

What if the category would be called Utilities for visually impaired People?

It should be explained at the description of the category that this category only looks for unique and permanent items like described before.

Perhaps this would be a way to distinguish the category from the existing similar categories.

I will make sure that "visually impaired people" is in the title, as this is the group that the category is focusing on, but I think that "Utilities" is too general and could be misinterpreted. I think that "3D touch objects" is more accurate, but I'm open for suggestions if a native speaker knows a better term for it.

Yes, the category description will define, that the objects have to be unique, permanent and at (or very close to) the object that they are representing. They must be touchable (many Exact Replicas are either behind glass, in a closed area or one is not allowed/able to touch it etc.) and they have to be 3D objects. You often find braille markings, but those are not what I'm looking for and of course there will be a field for additional information in Braille. I've seen models with Braille text ON the object, AROUND the object, on a SEPARATE tablet or no Braille at all and a visitor shouldn't have to search for it, but find that info in the waymarks description.

I've seen models with Braille text ON the object, AROUND the object, on a SEPARATE tablet or no Braille at all and a visitor shouldn't have to search for it, but find that info in the waymarks description.

Can you help me understand this? I'm having trouble. Are you saying that all text in Braille will need to be written into the waymark description?

I think we don't want every sign written in Braile listed in this category. Only objects (2D and 3D orientation plans, 3D objects to give an impression, and so on).

I don't know how to describe/name this correctly.

Maybe Unique Braile Signs and Information Models ???

You're absolutely right. Listing all the Braile signs in the world wouldn't make much sense. 2D orientation plans wouldn't work for visually impaired people unless they have braile writings, but then again they are just "better" signs with Braille, no?

The 3D orientation models are difficult to decide. Some might be listed in the "3D Map Models of Our World and Beyond" already, but this category also contains models that are not touchable. I could live with a little redundancy here, but in the future people should list their waymark in only one of the two categories. The main focus of my category is single objects anyway (one church, one animal, one artwork,...), but there are models that represent a building and also a few buildings around it to give at least a little orientation. Those might be accepted in both categories, but thinking about all the useless redundancies, I personally wouldn't have a problem with some more redundancy that makes finding interesting objects much easier for visually impaired people.

I've seen models with Braille text ON the object, AROUND the object, on a SEPARATE tablet or no Braille at all and a visitor shouldn't have to search for it, but find that info in the waymarks description.

Can you help me understand this? I'm having trouble. Are you saying that all text in Braille will need to be written into the waymark description?

No, sorry for my bad English. What I mean is that the waymark owner should write, IF and WHERE Braille writings can be found. Somthing like

Additional information in Braille: none

Additional information in Braille: On a separate tablet close to the entry of the model

Additional information in Braille: On ground level of the model there's braille information about ....

Additional information in Braille: Short descriptions on the object plus a separate tablet with more details

OK, 3D touch objects for visually impaired people - this is quite a long title!

But it will describe what this category is about.

I found another possible object. Is this one enough 3D?

Or must there be more?

4e373f0b-5931-4c08-8b7a-4b128201cca5.JPG

Well, I personally would post it in the "Orientation Tables" category (which BTW should have a "Has additional info in Braille" checkbox), but if they don't accept it, I would accept it for my category.

PS: Yes, the title is long, but "European Historic Survey Stones, Monuments and Benchmarks" is longer. :D

Edited by PISA-caching