coin keeper

Rckhnd

There is a cacher in my local area who seems to be a nice person even though I never met them.

I'm not the most PC person in the world and am afraid of coming off wrong, so I hesitate to approach them on this issue, but they seem to be collecting coins instead of passing them around.

Sometimes I look at my TB history just to see how far they have moved after I find them. What I have found is that when this person has been to a cache, they openly say that they have retrieved a coin, but that's it, no movement. They were a FTF on one of my caches that I placed somebody's coin in and it is missing. - nobody else has ever been there. Same thing with other coins I have moved along that they picked up, the trail stops with their log entry and the coin remains in cache inventory never to be heard from again.

I'm thinking that this person just doesn't get it, or doesn't know how to log coins. My dilemma is how to broach the subject without triggering a flame up, like I said, I can come off wrong to some people.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they handled it. These aren't my coins, but I will be hesitant to place them in caches this player has not found yet.

Maybe GC.com could come up with a 'Dear Cacher' column and send an anonymous 'gentle reminder' for those of us who don't want to get into a confrontation??

There was a case like this a few years ago near me (UK), where a relatively new cacher was collecting coins like this. A few people Emailed him asking him to release their coins but he was adamant that he was allowed to keep them and flatly refused to move them on, it got so bad that local cachers who knew about it wouldn't place any coins in any local caches. Eventually the cacher who had introduced him to the game heard about it and went and spoke to him personally even he had difficulty persuading his friend that he wasn't supposed to keep the coins but eventually the message got through and he went round and dropped the coins into local caches and all has been fine since.

You could start with the one he was FTF on, something like "Hi when you found xxxxx cache did you see whether the yyyyy geocoin was in the cache and if so did you pick it up?". If he says "yeah I picked it up and swapped it for a McD toy and it's now in my trophy cabinet with all the other shiny coins I've collected" then you know he's got the wrong idea and can gently explain about TBs/coins. If he denies having collected it then either you've jumped to the wrong conclusion, or he knows he's doing the wrong thing.

Edit to add: Does his profile show that he's moved any TBs or coins?

Edited by MartyBartfast

Wasn't too hard to figure out who it is...

Only found two that he stated "thanks for the geocoin....", but true, he never logged them out, nor does he show any geocoins moved. Travel Bugs, yes -- but no 'coins.

Dunno what to tell you. As you, many times I come off seemingly gruff although I don't really intend it as such.

There was a case like this a few years ago near me (UK), where a relatively new cacher was collecting coins like this. A few people Emailed him asking him to release their coins but he was adamant that he was allowed to keep them and flatly refused to move them on, it got so bad that local cachers who knew about it wouldn't place any coins in any local caches. Eventually the cacher who had introduced him to the game heard about it and went and spoke to him personally even he had difficulty persuading his friend that he wasn't supposed to keep the coins but eventually the message got through and he went round and dropped the coins into local caches and all has been fine since.

You could start with the one he was FTF on, something like "Hi when you found xxxxx cache did you see whether the yyyyy geocoin was in the cache and if so did you pick it up?". If he says "yeah I picked it up and swapped it for a McD toy and it's now in my trophy cabinet with all the other shiny coins I've collected" then you know he's got the wrong idea and can gently explain about TBs/coins. If he denies having collected it then either you've jumped to the wrong conclusion, or he knows he's doing the wrong thing.

Edit to add: Does his profile show that he's moved any TBs or coins?

TBs are moved along, just not the coins.

I'm thinking he just isn't aware, I'll just have to 'cacher up' and try to approach nicely....

Personally I would not say anything to him until he had one of my coins.

I'd want to set him straight BEFORE he got one of my coins! :P

Obviously, this can be a delicate situation, and would probably be better handled in person.

Ask the bloke to go out on a caching trip with you, where you can cleverly work the subject into the conversation.

A known coin thief??? String him up, draw and quarter him, bury him up to his eye balls in a fire ants' nest! Screw the niceties. If he's deluded himself into thinking geocoins are swag and yet he knows how to retrieve them and has experience in how to drop other travelers he's got some explaining to do. Perhaps if he heard from all the coin owners he's screwing he might realize that it's regular folks who release them not giant corporations with some altruistic bent. If not I'll go talk to him myself and bring a vat of sulfuric acid. <_<:mad::mad: