Longest Unfound Cache you own

I thought I would see of the caches people own, what cache hasn't seen any cachers in the longest amount of time.

What cache is it (link?)?

When was it's last visit?

What makes this cache so unloved?

Of mine, my tough Letterbox hybrid is the least loved (but favorited a fair bit based on favorite points, which aren't really used in the area).

It was until recently, beat by another cache of mine.

Cache page: Hate Mail

Last visited: 10/08/2011

Reason for unloved: Touch cache and requires a bit of a hike.

Right now it's Withlacoochee Dreamin' GCRQW7 last found 02/13/2010 - several miles out the last part with no trail to the remains of an old tar camp on the river. Great trees, good river view. It doesn't get many visits. Even the people who get out into the area, and like to hike, are more apt to follow the Florida trail then make the longish side trip to this.

I own 3 other caches that haven't been found for 2+ years, and 10 more that haven't been found for over a year. I've had a cache go 3 years unfound, a boat cache not near any town of any size.

I recently found a cache, an ammo can, that hadn't been found or hunted for over 4 years. Only about a mile walk in. It had been placed as a PnG for the 4x drive set, and then forestry changed the road designation, no vehicles.

my oldest is not even a year old quite yet.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=350fdf09-af99-45bf-90da-8e432128d7fb

its a tough puzzle, but I really like it (does have a 50% favorite ratio), but its also a tough hide but with really clear geocheck hint now. Seems like most of the folks who have done it really know me, have clear out radiuses or really like puzzles so I guess most others do not want to bother with a tough puzzle.

Cache Page: Syncline Summit #2

Last Visited: 22 June 2011

Reason for unloved: First off, I don't like this term. This cache has 100% favorites. It is not visited because it is minimum 10h 5* terrain scramble. It is also a 1h drive from the nearest small city, and a 2h+ drive from the nearest large city. There are several other caches on this mountian, so it would be a productive day for a cacher.

Edit: Oh, and no trails. You have to do this hike in from the road by pure trailblazing.

Edited by Andronicus

Cache Page:I Ruined The Cache

Last Visited: 10/24/11

Reason for unloved: It's probably because it's about a 6-7 miles round trip hike with the last .3 miles with no trail at all. It's a cool location though, an old structure that not too many people know is there. I'd much rather have a cache that's out of the way and not found too often than a P+G that gets found every day.

I have a terracache that was found 1 time in 2005 and hasn't been found since. So almost 7 years.

reason unloved

It's 5 star terrain, a serious ordeal to get legally since it's on private land with permission and you can't come in the front gate. I put over 100 bucks worth of swag in it though.

Edited by Snoogans

Burnt Meadow Brook hasn't been found in 2 years and hasn't been attempted in a year. Last log was a DNF. It's not an easy cache to find and I have no reason to believe it is gone, but perhaps I should head out there and check on it. Maybe the DNF has scared people off, maybe because it's a bit out of the way of most of the other caches in the area, but I think it's a pretty nice cache. It's in the foundation of an old farm building, next to an ancient breached dam that makes a pretty waterfall when the stream is flowing good.

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon hasn't been found in nearly a year. This one I don't understand because it's in a very popular park that is loaded with caches. Caches near it are found regularly. It's at a scenic overlook and right on a popular hiking trail. Granted it's about a mile round trip minimum but most of the caches in the park involve at least that and are found frequently.

Until April, Williamstown Delaware River Rails to Trails had gone 27 months without a find.

Because:It requires a 12+ mile bike or hike roundtrip on a paved railtrail (unless you leave another car at the far end) There are several other caches that can be found along the way (one of them is mine) but not many people are willing to leave their cars, it seems.

Those that do, however, say nice things in their logs so I am content.

Reason for unloved: First off, I don't like this term. This cache has 100% favorites. It is not visited because it is minimum 10h 5* terrain scramble. It is also a 1h drive from the nearest small city, and a 2h+ drive from the nearest large city. There are several other caches on this mountian, so it would be a productive day for a cacher.

Edit: Oh, and no trails. You have to do this hike in from the road by pure trailblazing.

100% favorites! 1 finder :rolleyes:

That being noted, I'd find that cache, and I'd probably give it a favorite. That's my kind of box in the woods :grin:

Stone Cold Rocky Top.... with Trees! Last found August 20 of 2011. To my knowledge hasn't been attempted since. That attempt was a month in the planning as well, it's out there a ways.

It's at least an hour and half drive from the nearest town and that's if the road conditions are friendly. It's on the way to a seldom visited mountain top, we dont' have many cachers that are active around here, most of them like film cans under lamp skirts, and the folks who go hunting near the cache apparently aren't cachers.

It's a shame, this one got stocked to the gills, is a legit large, and as far as I'm concerned the ratings are dead on. Oh well, It'll get some great logs on the rare occasion it gets found [:D]

Those pictures in that area remind me when I was in the area years ago.

Well, I have five that have not been found this year.

Completely obtuse mystery cache last found in December 2010 (three finds in three years.)

Easy mystery cache (the answers are on the page!) But it's a mile and a half hike each way.

Medium difficulty mystery cache. Some people just do not like having bears around!

Ah! Clueless: The Revenge of Andy Bear. Six stage multi/mystery. Mile and a half each way, hiking permit required, uphill 700' climb each way. Wimps! Hey! 18 finds in six years!

Then, of course, there's Grumpy Dolphin. Boy was I grumpy! Start of a year and a half of four day a week due to the depression! My grumpiness shows! Tough puzzle. Tough puzzle. Tough hike. But eight finds in three years!!

My Cherry Top was found a few months ago. The find before that was 44 months prior and the first find was 15 months before that. It works out to an average find of every 627 days. It's only a 3 mile hike on an abandoned forest road.

I have 2 caches that haven't been found since 2009, 5 that haven't been found since 2010, one of which is only .1mi from parking and has other caches on the trail. No DNFs on any of them. Except for Cherry Top, it seems that everyone around here that has a little bit of adventure in them has already found them, or they are relatively new and are sticking to the trails that have 30 caches in 3mi, instead of 5 or 6.

5 that haven't been found since 2010, one of which is only .1mi from parking....everyone around here that has a little bit of adventure in them has already found them, or they are relatively new and are sticking to the trails that have 30 caches in 3mi, instead of 5 or 6.

I think that this tendency will accelerate, a cache that takes some drive time and walking effort, and is removed from the local cache cluster can sit a long while, unfound - even if the walk into it isn't far.

The rails-to-trails on the edge of a state forest has been powertrailed. People come and do the powertrail, and sometimes grab a couple of forest caches nearest to it. Finds on the other forest caches have fallen sharply.

While it is not a cache I own, I found a cache that had not been found for 4 years. It is located in the greater San Diego metropolitan area and is only a 500 foot walk on fairly level ground from parking in a dense residential area. Some bush whacking was required. When I found the ammo can, the contents looked like they had been put it the day before.

To find this cache you need to find 4 other multi-caches to get clues and coordinates. The coordinates are then plotted on a map and the final cache is near the intersection of the lines that connect the first four caches.

The cache currently has 28 finds; since my find in December, it has been found once in July.

The cache is "A True Multi-Cache in Scripps Ranch"(http://coord.info/GCHV0Z)

Cache page: Perch Lake PWA

Last visited: 5/11/2012 (Just over 3 months)

Reason for unloved: It's an easy puzzle but it is out in the country in western Wisconsin. Not many people cache in that area.

I did an epic series in northern WI on Memorial Day. Had to find 5 caches to get the coords to the final mystery cache. It took the better part of the morning to bomb around what barely qualified as "roads" to get from location to location finding caches and gathering info. The final had not been found in well over 2 years. Here is a link to the final...

Cache: Order of Operations

Last found: 4/20/12

Reason: I don't know it's an easy multi that may take 5 minutes in the largest shopping area in Columbia. It was PMO but I removed that recently. Only a few locals go after things outside of park and grab traditionals

Consider this. A lot of people do not like field puzzle multicaches. Also, while a math problem should be easy for a math teacher, that may not be true for everyone. If someone is looking at your cache description and they don't understand the example problem, why bother trying the multi, as they are likely to face a similar problem? They could do some research and maybe even learn something, but not everyone geocaches because they want to learn something. Many geocache to escape such things.

Cache page: Full circle

Last visited: 02/25/2012

Reason: It's a state park with not a lot of caches in it - and the ones that get found the most often are on the flatter side the park. This cache is definitely an uphill hike, but not that bad (imho). All of my other caches in the park have been found more recently- but they're all a shorter hike. Though the caches more uphill from mine (and requiring a much longer hike) hardly get any visitors.

It probably also doesn't help that there's an $8 entry fee and due to budget cuts, this park was closed 3 days/week for awhile, including when I first put the cache out there. Now it's completely run by a non-profit, but still closed 2 days/week.

There's this one in Yahualica, Jalisco Mexico - http://coord.info/GC2MZNK

it was hidden in Jan of 2011 and still hasn't gotten a single find.

My girlfriends family vacations there annually so I'm hoping to try and find it next year....if it's there still.

You mean you're not going to look for a few minutes, proclaim it to be missing, and drop a replacement and claim a find? That is VERY common with long unfound caches. :lol: Not to be a party pooper, but that one is not a huge deal. There are dozens of caches in remote regions of Canada alone that have never been found for over 5 years, and over 10 years in one case.

Me? Looks like I have a classic firetack on trees night cache that hasn't been found this year. Last find, November 2011. It's a .5 mile hike one way just to get to the first tack. Living in suburbia, I don't think any of my caches have ever gone over a year without being found, even the puzzles.

I planted a cache in March last year and it has been found by only two people. Reason: the 400m climb to the cache is quite steep and you might come across bears and cougars along the way. The cache is Norm's Grind, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4c6e126-30b6-470d-8cf7-5473c59ef122

Another cache in my area was planted in September 2010 and has never been found even though 5 people posted DNFs and there are 15 notes written. There are 19 people watching this cache, so probably more tried but did not report DNFs. Most are wondering if this cache was even planted ?? or maybe it is just gone. The CO says he will check on it but still hasn't. This one is called Treasure Island and is planted on an island in a lake. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2EV2N

Here's mine:

Cache: Lookout Hill

Last found: 10/22/2010 (and that was more than a year after the previous find).

Reason: It's a 3.5 mile hike one way on the North Country Trail that winds through the Sheyenne National Grasslands in North Dakota. It's a great hike on the recently refurbished trail and the view at the cache site is one of the best ones in SE ND, but I suppose the distance scares people away. My dad and I hiked out to it in February and it's still there, patiently waiting to be found.

Cache page: Ritigala – A Himalaya fragment on Sri Lanka?

Last visited: 15 Sep 2011

Reason for unloved: It's not really unloved, but more a matter of an earthcache being off the beaten track in a reasonably hard to reach spot. The area used to be part of the so-called 'cultural triangle' but is was taken out of this probably due to archaeological research (or maybe restoration or something), which means it's not a part of the usual places to visit anymore. This in turn means you need a guide who's willing to take you there and this in turn means you need a guide who's willing to let go of his usual round trip and come up with an alternative plan (and overnight accommodation) to include Ritigala.

Mr. Terratin

Cache page: Ritigala – A Himalaya fragment on Sri Lanka?

Last visited: 15 Sep 2011

Reason for unloved: It's not really unloved, but more a matter of an earthcache being off the beaten track in a reasonably hard to reach spot. The area used to be part of the so-called 'cultural triangle' but is was taken out of this probably due to archaeological research (or maybe restoration or something), which means it's not a part of the usual places to visit anymore. This in turn means you need a guide who's willing to take you there and this in turn means you need a guide who's willing to let go of his usual round trip and come up with an alternative plan (and overnight accommodation) to include Ritigala.

Mr. Terratin

Had it in my PQ last month. Unfortunately we skipped it as we had to make Negombo to Trincomalee in three days on loaded foldable bicycles (mine is trackable TB2B3ZR). The roads were fine after Habarana and I was seriously thinking to detour toward Ritigala. My better half wasn't in her best shape though so luckily we did not go there since another road construction followed Kantale to Trincomalee and that last day presented us with 140 kilometer overall trip involving quite a bit of night riding on remote roads. We got robbed in Batticaloa a week later btw. Caching was not our primary interest though. DNF'ed Bounakabaha Buddhist Temple at Westminster Abbey few days later on the way Ampara to Pottuvil. That cache was planted over a year ago and unattempted ever since. A monk was supposed to keep the container, but there was different monk who only shrugged his shoulders after we tried to explain the game. No time to take a tour up the hill. There is another unattempted cache on top of Govindahela Mountain. Next time. Beautiful country though.

http://coord.info/GC32RAJ Fantastic Four - 2 Day Challenge

Unfound since 8/22/11

Unloved - It's just hard IMO. Benchmarks are the hardest to find. Trackables can be also because most of the time they aren't in the listed caches.

I did this task otw back from the GS Block party last year, while driving, with only a cell phone! :)

Edited by ray461

GC376DD Jasmer challenge. Placed 12/31/2011. Never found. Extremely hard to complete a Jasmer in Spain ... even in Europe (and this one covers only since February 2001 date of first Spanish cache).

GC1XZ9Z Placed 03/28/2010. Found once in 05/08/2011. Bonus cache for a serie requiring to visit several places on the State and then a reasonable hiking (2h max) in a remote area.

GC377K7 Placed 11/05/2011. Found once in 02/11/2012. Challenge cache requiring one cache in each county of the state aswell as some additional caches on several surrounding states (based on language spoken on this territory).

Edited by DeepButi

Cache: Order of Operations

Last found: 4/20/12

Reason: I don't know it's an easy multi that may take 5 minutes in the largest shopping area in Columbia. It was PMO but I removed that recently. Only a few locals go after things outside of park and grab traditionals

Consider this. A lot of people do not like field puzzle multicaches. If someone is looking at your cache description and they don't understand the example problem, why bother trying the multi,

My 'puzzle' is just knowing the order of operations (PEMDAS) I have 6 slips of paper with each symbol and a number. For example ()= 3 You just put them in order. I never thought about people assuming it would be more math-y like the one on the page. Thanks for that insight!

I have a trio of hides that have gone 3 years without finds (other than maintenance visits by me).

Cache pages: http://coord.info/GCRCVE http://coord.info/GC1FGFB http://coord.info/GC16GMR

Last visited: Summer 2009 (one was just found, breaking the 3-year streak).

Reason for loneliness: A 45-minute drive from the city, and a short bike ride or <1 hour walk in a park area, so who knows why? One's an evil micro, so that might turn people off. Also, mosquito season here is ferocious, so a few months in summer are guaranteed to be quiet.

Unfound since 8/22/11

Unloved - It's just hard IMO. Benchmarks are the hardest to find. Trackables can be also because most of the time they aren't in the listed caches.

I did this task otw back from the GS Block party last year, while driving, with only a cell phone! :)

NOW that's a challenge, AND you're in the west. I could see that being easier in the northeast, but still tough!

Puente del Inca is an Earthcache high in the mountains on the Argentina/Chile border, last found 2 months ago and found every several months or so (more commonly in the southern hemisphere summer months). Thing that's crazy about it is it's a major tourist stop on the main highway from Santiago to Mendoza, yet it's visited so rarely! I mean I have two Earthcaches in Tibet that get visited far more often. :huh:

I have an unnatural affinity for unfound and unsearched for caches. Recently I discoverd three in North Alabama that hadn't been found in five years:

Dark Hollow Falls (GCKY04) last found 10/03/2007

Dark Hollow Rises (GCR7X7) last found 10/03/2007

The Bice Bowl (GC13WQ0) last found 09/01/2007

It was a great adventure getting to the first two, the last one I'm going to go grab in a few weeks.

Unfound since 8/22/11

NOW that's a challenge, AND you're in the west. I could see that being easier in the northeast, but still tough!

TY Sir!! :)

Well the worst I have done is about 11 months - but the logs are pretty good for the folks who find it cause it spans about 7+ miles on foot and most are proud as a peacock for doing it. Mostly 2 to 3 hits per year and now other caches can be found along the way so it is more fun. It is in a WMA and lots of wildlife is reported. I set it up for Mountain bikers but most decide to walk for the challenge!