New to geocaching - bought a Magellan Exp. 110 - Now what?

valevan

OK,

I am really looking forward to geochaching, something i heard about many years ago and am only now able to try it out. Yesterday our Magellan Explorist 110 arrived. It seemed to be the most recommended one in our price range.

Started it and noticed immediately that the maps are quite old. Street we were on was still shown as a dead end, despite having been completed 10 years ago.

But, we are hoping there are map updates online or something?

I hooked it up to the pc and can't seem to figure out how to get any caches onto it from the site.

I clicked on upload, was taken to a screen that said I need to download a program, which I did, but still it doesn't work.

I looked at it more closely and it said the program is only compatible with certain units, and it doesn't look like mine is one of them.

Now what?

You did it the wrong way, "the most recommended in your price range" by who?

Like it or not first, do the research then you KNOW.

Garmin might sometimes be more expensive, but for Garmin you have EVERYTHING (also for free)

like good programs, maps (extreme good free Us Topo's)) and above all kinds INFO and youtubes to start with.

As Atlas said, return the Magellan, because in the long run you're better of with a Garmin.

Look for an Etrex, Dakota, Oregon, even preowned. Do look for models with Sd slots***, because maps grow by the year and tend to get huge.

If possible, go to the shop to actually hold it and look at the screen.

See the Garmin model video's on Gpscity dot com to understand what you might want, many models have own video's, also goto Garmin for model video's

*** Garmin models with a 10 code don't have Sd slots. Like Etrex 10, Dakota 10, Oregon 10.

Buy from a TRUSTED seller.

If you're not sure ask here first.

Edited by splashy