iPhone, new, what will transfer and what won't?

I have an iPhone 3GS that I've had for a few years, and I have the Geocaching app, and it's worked well for several years.

I'm considering buying an iPhone 5 when they come out soon, and I know that the App will xfer over through the Apple Store or iTunes, or something, but what about my data that is saved in the Geocaching App, things such as Souvenirs, Saved Lists, etc.

What will transfer over, and what won't? How?

I have an iPhone 3GS that I've had for a few years, and I have the Geocaching app, and it's worked well for several years.

I'm considering buying an iPhone 5 when they come out soon, and I know that the App will xfer over through the Apple Store or iTunes, or something, but what about my data that is saved in the Geocaching App, things such as Souvenirs, Saved Lists, etc.

All your FINDS, Souvenirs, lists, PQ's, and any geocaching data....is stored on geocaching.com (NOT on the APP).

Edited by Lieblweb

I run the Geocaching App on both my IPhone 4s and iPad 2 with 3G + wifi. Everything transfers between the 2 seamlessly. The only thing I'm uncertain about is the saved lists feature as mentioned due to the fact that I don't use this feature. Otherwise, you shouldn't notice a difference when you upgrade to the new iPhone 5.

I'm pretty sure saved lists are stored only within the app on your phone, so you'd lose those.

That's kinda what I thought, which is why I asked. I have a lot of time and energy invested in those lists, which help me tremendously.

I need a definitive answer, from one of the developers or something.

thanks

I'm pretty sure saved lists are stored only within the app on your phone, so you'd lose those.

That's kinda what I thought, which is why I asked. I have a lot of time and energy invested in those lists, which help me tremendously.

I need a definitive answer, from one of the developers or something.

thanks

I was going to point you to the caching with the iphone forum, but it seems to have poofed.

Souvenirs will be safe, those are stored on GS servers. The greatest risk is losing your saved lists, since they're stored locally (on the phone within the app). Probably your only hope (and it's no guarantee) is to be sure to back up your old phone before transferring over to the new one. You do that in iTunes by right clicking your phone in the left hand panel and choosing Back Up. Then once you hook your new one up to iTunes, you restore it from backup (again, right click on the device in the left panel and choose Restore from Backup). This transfers most everything (Contacts, SMS messages, Apps, etc.) and may transfer your favorites lists, but I'm not sure. You can try to get a hold of GS (contact@Groundspeak) and see if they can give you a definitive answer, or at least lead you to someone who can. Good luck. I'm in the market for the new iPhone as well, but I only create short saved lists for cache outings, then delete them when we're done, so I don't have much to transfer. I do have one list that I'm hoping we get to sometime soon, but there's only a few caches in it and I can easily create it from scratch if need be.

An example would be the saved list of all of my caches, I have over 50 caches, and it took a while to put together that list, but it's helped me out several times when I've had to temporarily disable a cache from out of town.

Make a bookmark list of your caches so when you need to update it you can always run a PQ for the list.