newb need your opinions

skycomag

Don't leave the Delorme PN-40 out of the picture either. It comes with full topo mapping (Canada and Mexico included).

Garmin units require purchasing maps, or downloading from a free source. They come normally with only basic maps (major roads, cities, etc.)

thank for your suggestion.

i'll ck. it out.

thanks,

mitch

I use a Lowrance Out & Back, it's a nice solid little unit. Also Lowrance has excellent customer service, I once had my unit stop receiving satellite signals well after warranty and they had me send it back for free replacement. I'm always impressed by companies that stand by their products.

I'd highly suggest looking through the reviews on the 'shop' tab of the main site if you haven't already. Make sure the one you get has the features that are important to you, we all have different tastes so it's always best to let your own wants sway your decision after hearing what everyone has to say.

I bought an etrex 20 just a week ago and am still figuring it out. Not a fan yet, but it may be user error! I saw logs from another cacher who mentioned using that model device and emailed him earlier. He gave me some tips which I hope will help me refine my technique. As of yet, like my smartphone app best but not under trees or where we are out of service.

I just pulled the trigger on a DELORME PN-60.

After reviewing all the specs. and extra each of the gps unit i was interested in and those that had been suggested is why i decided on the pn-60.

some of the factors that i based my chioce on was lrg. memory, no. of channels,after market map upgrades

battery life and more.

it seems that there is no perfect gps unit after reading many reviews of many of your suggestions but the Pn 60 seeems to have good reviews more pos. than neg. for me.

here is a link for the specs:PN - 60

i want to thank all of you for your opinions on ths issue of mine.

mitch

Edited by skycomag

After reviewing all the specs. and extra each of the gps unit i was interested in and those that had been suggested is why i decided on the pn-60.

some of the factors that i based my chioce on was lrg. memory, no. of channels,after market map upgrades

battery life and more.

it seems that there is no perfect gps unit after reading many reviews of many of your suggestions but the Pn 60 seeems to have good reviews more pos. than neg. for me.

mitch

Good luck and happy hunting geocaching, mitch.

Would've mentioned the '60, but it was priced over your stated limit. Regardless, you chose well... I really think you'll be happy.

battery life and more.

mitch

Good luck and happy hunting geocaching, mitch.

Would've mentioned the '60, but it was priced over your stated limit. Regardless, you chose well... I really think you'll be happy.

well it was only $40.00 more that i wanted to spend.

but with the feature i thought it was with it.

now no need to worry about lack of memmory,for map upgrade if needed,there is tons of it.