Climbing Caches

I wanted to see what people's opinions were about using "tools" to retrieve caches that are described as requiring climbing (3.5-5 terrain difficulties) and are placed up high in trees, hanging from light posts, etc. There is a series here in Austin that says it was designed to promote caching cooperation, like going with a child and lifting him/her up to the cache or into the tree to retrieve it. But, as I have come to find out, many people cache with tools like ladders, grabbers, long sticks and so forth to make getting to caches like these easier (or not at all challenging). To me, that seems against the spirit of the cache and I wonder what the community sentiment is--is this an issue of geocaching ethics? On the other hand, while I have been the one to climb and get a couple of these caches, it is usually another cacher doing so (I couldn't climb a light pole to save my life) and I sometimes think that isn't right either since I didn't personally make the grab or physically assist the other person in doing so. Thoughts?

Edited by strontium87

There is a series here in Austin that says it was designed to promote caching cooperation, like going with a child and lifting him/her up to the cache or into the tree to retrieve it. But, as I have come to find out, many people cache with tools like ladders, grabbers, long sticks and so forth to make getting to caches like these easier (or not at all challenging).

Why is it more challenging to bring along a child and lift him/her up than bringing a ladder and climbing up? For a caching family the first should be much easier.

I cache a lot with my bicycle and bringing along tools like ladders or long sticks is not possible.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

There used to be an elevated cache around here where the CO didn't specify how you were to retrieve it, only that you should be prepared to replace it as found no matter how you retrieved it. Various people retrieved it in various ways.

There's another one where the CO provides a tool, but not everyone is able to find the tool. Those who don't find the tool must improvise, but they still manage to retrieve and replace the cache.

In general, the CO cannot require the seekers use a particular technique. As long as the cache is retrieved, the log signed, and the cache replaced, it's a find. There might be exceptions for legal restrictions (e.g., hiking or cycling in a park that allows only 4x4 vehicles, swimming in a lake that allows only boating), but not for "tools" like grabbers, ladders, or toddlers.

There is a cache in our area that is at the top of a pole. The CO allows witnesses to claim it

In order to log this cache, you must sign the log sheet OR be present when someone makes the climb/retrieval to get it. Although I cannot make it a requirement, photos or any finds would be greatly appreciated. Simply driving by and spotting this cache is NOT acceptable.

There are plenty of photos

http://coord.info/GC3092R

It would be much easier for me to lift a small child than for me to climb a ladder. Ladders and I don't get along too well.

Meanwhile, Austin must be quite a crazy city if they allow you to climb light poles. Try that in LA and you'll end up in jail, probably in the physc ward for 72 hours and maybe even on TV.

We have several climbing caches...... and one of them, you actually need climbing gear.

The CO placed a cache to be challenging. It's up to YOU (the finder) to decide your method of getting the smilie. If you want to use your kids...your dog...your neighbor... want to carry a ladder, stack rocks, whatever....... Doesn't matter. Who really cares???

But whatever you decide to do....Make sure you can do it SAFELY. DO NOT ATTEMPT anything that may cause harm to yourself or others. PERIOD. Use your own judgement.

The CO placed a cache to be challenging. It's up to YOU (the finder) to decide your method of getting the smilie. If you want to use your kids...your dog...your neighbor... want to carry a ladder, stack rocks, whatever....... Doesn't matter. Who really cares???

It appears to me that among those who care there are many who regard geocaching as a sports competition and who overlook the fact that geocaching is performed by quite different people. Their idea of a real competition also does not work in the area of sports if one mixes e.g. participants from the paralympics with participants of the Olympic games in the same discipline. These type of people seem to view using tools for caches they can retrieve without tools like using an e-bike in a cycle race.

Cezanne