New Coin: Geocaching is in My Genes

ECplus3

I love the look of these coins. Ordered the set originally. Should be arriving soon. Also ordered the LE Groundspeak edition when it came out. Are the 2 new "Mutant" LE coins a limited minting? How many?

HMmmm ... "LE" usually means 'LIMITED' edition ... :anitongue:

But the way LE's are surfacing (not necessarily these) ... 'limited' doesn't mean what it used to mean ... :huh:

Better question might be ... 'How many are those editions 'limited' to' ...

Hi Nevadanick. Email received and responded to it.

The two new 'mutant' editions are limited as in they were minted in a smaller quantity than other editions, and they will not be reminted when they sell out.

Total numbers for all editions are:

Gold: 230

Silver: 127

Copper: 129

A Silver: 122

XLE B Nickel: 25

LE Sat. Gold: 50

LE Sat. Silver: 50

So do I have to order the set of 4 to get that very cool looking 5th, called Geocachine?

"Geocachine" is the entire DNA collection, no matter which color version you have. It was the name chosen by the artist for the "5th element" that really does NOT exist ... except in the mind of a geocacher.

As far as those of us who ordered it online understood, the 5 coin set has been sold out for some time. According to the minter's figures shown in the post above, there were only 25 of the black nickel XLE ever minted and were ONLY sold as part of the 5 coin set when it was first offered online.

So do I have to order the set of 4 to get that very cool looking 5th, called Geocachine?

"Geocachine" is the entire DNA collection, no matter which color version you have. It was the name chosen by the artist for the "5th element" that really does NOT exist ... except in the mind of a geocacher.

As far as those of us who ordered it online understood, the 5 coin set has been sold out for some time. According to the minter's figures shown in the post above, there were only 25 of the black nickel XLE ever minted and were ONLY sold as part of the 5 coin set when it was first offered online.

Thank you very much for informing me and not making me feel dumb. Looks like I can place an order now.

Just as a clarification since re-reading my reply above, the first 4 coins were assigned to the 'actual' DNA names.

gold / Adenine

silver / Thymine

copper / Cytosine

antique silver / Guanine

black nickel / Geocachine

and of course, the 2 mutants.

I'm not sure if the XLE black nickel version has a name assigned to it. I think nevadanick was correct in previous post that "geocachine" is just a name that applies to the "5th" nucleotide base. It's actually in the description of all the coins. Would be curious to know from designer if the XLE coin has a name or if it is "geocachine". Can't seem to find that documented anywhere.

I'm not sure if the XLE black nickel version has a name assigned to it. I think nevadanick was correct in previous post that "geocachine" is just a name that applies to the "5th" nucleotide base. It's actually in the description of all the coins. Would be curious to know from designer if the XLE coin has a name or if it is "geocachine". Can't seem to find that documented anywhere.

I'm sure the artist/designer will stop by sooner or later to clarify ...

The first four elements are deinitely 'assigned' to the 4 base colors. Verify by checking the current listings on the PHD sales website.

The '5th' is ... HMmmm ... I give up ... :blink:

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered set.

Maybe the Christmas postal traffic made the parcel to travel slower than expected.

I'm assuming from your blog that you're in Europe? International mail can be really slow this time of year...I mailed first class packages to Netherlands, Denmark, UK, and New Zealand in mid-December. First to arrive was Netherlands in only 6 days!!! Then New Zealand, believe it or not, a couple of days later. THEN UK, and finally, just yesterday, Denmark. Doesn't really seem to make much sense.

Anyway, hope to see my coin soon. I must admit this is the first geocoin I have just fallen utterly in love with, partially due, I suppose, to my lay interest in genetics and microbiology.

Still nothing arrived in Norway. Is it time to get concerned? Did most other European packages arrive?

I´m still waiting, too.

I wouldn't worry yet. Your packages were both shipped on December 14th and you both chose 'surface' shipping which has a delivery time of 4 - 6 weeks + time in customs. Friday marks the end of the 6 week time frame, at which time I will be able to inquire at the post office what has become of them.

SO happy. :D

Although my original trade fell through, I'm expecting to receive ALL 4 of the original minting of these wonderful coins from the Math Trade!! Yay for me!

If you are searching for the 5th from the original minting (XLE) - and have something from my seeker list - feel free to contact me. :)

Still nothing in my mailbox. Would you be willing to make an inquiry, E&Cplus3?

The crisis has been blown off. A very nice set has landed in my mailbox, just 2 days short of 8 weeks since shipping. New record?

I'll have to bring that up with the local post office. Their service delivery standard definitely says 4 - 6 weeks for surface mail to Europe. They'll likely blame it on customs, but I'll complain anyway. :)

Glad you finally received them!

Still nothing in my mailbox. Would you be willing to make an inquiry, E&Cplus3?

The crisis has been blown off. A very nice set has landed in my mailbox, just 2 days short of 8 weeks since shipping. New record?

I'll have to bring that up with the local post office. Their service delivery standard definitely says 4 - 6 weeks for surface mail to Europe. They'll likely blame it on customs, but I'll complain anyway. :)

Glad you finally received them!

Had a Xmas order that left Europe (Priority) mid-December and arrived here (California) last week of January. 5 weeks, no customs problems.

Talked to the PO here and their reply was interesting ... "It arrived? Yes? So what's your problem?"

According to them, could not file a tracking inquiry since it actually arrived. All I could do was file a 'comment' card which 'someone' would look at 'sometime' .... 'maybe'.

Has this edition been talked about here yet?

bfcb6834-0d77-4a1c-ae9a-5d08f1408dbe.jpg

DNA "Royal Blood" Edition

I was told it was LE? Would that mean 50 made?

(edited because pic didn't work)

That one was commissioned by geocachingshop.nl and only sold by them.

They ordered 60. I don't know if they marketed it as an LE or not.

Great - Thanks for the quick reply.

Great - Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, this one was marketed as an LE and only 60 were made.