Record For Most Placed Caches

GS shoud make rules against placing so many pr CO

it is not good for maintanence level.

I'm going to disagree. My experience is that poorly maintained and totally non-maintained caches belong to cachers who join, are excited and mildly addicted, place ~ 1 - 20 caches, lose interest and disappear.

The 500+ cache owners have been in the game a long time. They know what cache maintenance is, and to some level, are doing it. Possibly not to everyone's expectations, but they do know what cache ownership is, and how to disable, repair and enable, how archive. How to ask others for help. Not just place and abandon.

Also, don't confuse total hide numbers with active caches. My account shows over 200 hidden, but at any time, I generally own around 100 active caches;

a number I find comfortable to maintain.

can you maybe look up those hi ranked CO and see how many of their active got a red flag ?

I dont know if room104 is a team or single person, but I see many of his caches with red flag,

just too bad I can not sort on the info marker, got tired counting when I got to page 90 and found 22 red flags,

so I assume he got over 66 with service needed, since he got 253 pages with caches..

I only own 70 caches, NONE is with red flag, and I am proud of it.

when I get a red flag, it usually takes under 48 hrs to go and fix what ever is needed.

since they all are located near where I live or where I work.

if I own 5000 caches, do the math, they need to be located quite far away.

it must be a full time job for 10 people to keep all 5000 in good shape.

Edited by OZ2CPU

how can some people place so many.. and keep them all in good service !!

read the OBLIGATIONS you have as a CO !!

I would disagree also, and agree with Isonzo Karst's points.

To cite an example, a friend of ours, poshrule is #28 on that list with 936 hides, I didn't count exactly how many of them are active but estimate approx 900 of them.

I've just looked through, and there is one needs maintenance log in all of those caches, and that was from today. (and reading the log, it's not really maintenance as such, a cacher found the cache in what they think is the wrong place) he puts us to shame , and we have less then 10% of the caches out that he does.

The most poorly maintained caches we tend to find are from caches whose finds are in the single figures. I won't name names but off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen examples.

can you maybe look up those hi ranked CO and see how many of their active got a red flag ?

I dont know if room104 is a team or single person, but I see many of his caches with red flag,

just too bad I can not sort on the info marker, got tired counting when I got to page 90 and found 22 red flags,

so I assume he got over 66 with service needed, since he got 253 pages with caches..

when I get a red flag, it usually takes under 48 hrs to go and fix what ever is needed.

it must be a full time job for 10 people to keep all 5000 in good shape.

Room104 lives to the South of me, and I've found a number of his/her hides. In general they take me to interesting places, and I am happy to have this cacher active in my area. There are some caches with maintenance requests and they might not be cleared in 48 hours, but I've seen that with other cache owners too.

If I have the choice between caches located in beautiful landscape and in remote places which are maintained within a few weeks (or even longer depending on the location and the season) and lots of urban caches close to where the hiders live and work that are maintained quickly, I certainly opt for the first option.

I do all the really interesting geocaching at the weekend (not even each) or when on vacation and waiting for say 3 weeks for maintenance fully pays off for me.

I'm glad that there are hiders who are willing to hide caches on mountains, desserts and other not highly populated and easily reachable areas.

As the original question is regarded, I do not think that it makes sense to simply compare the number of hidden caches as traditionals and multi caches with many stages cannot be compared 1:1. I know multi caches with around 100 stages that only count as one. That's also the reason why the people with top ranks come from areas where traditionals are predominant.

Moreover, not every cache needs maintenance at the same level. I know ammo box caches in the mountains which have not needed maintenance for almost 10 years - of course they get less visits in 10 years than some urban caches in three months. Some urban nanos need visits for changing the log at least once a month. That's however not the geocaching I find attractive.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

It does get harder over time when caches go down hill. I keep most of mine close to home so I can check on them within a week. Plus, the more caches you got out there, the harder for you to keep track which caches need maintenace when people dont use the need maintenace log. Use it if you think my caches need help. I will take care of it. Nothing personal.

As has been pointed out to you many times in other discussions, there are many scenarios where a NM flag may be present on a cache, but no maintenance is actually required. The presence of NM flags does not necessarily imply that a CO isn't doing maintenance.

Anyway, 66 caches out of 5000+? That's extremely low. About 1%. If you or I had a single cache with a NM flag, we'd be doing worse than they are. Rather than picking on them for NM flags, I'd like to congratulate them on doing such a good job of owning such a high number of caches.

I live in ground zero of the room104 power acrage. room104 is a single person but there is a team of local cachers (including myself) that are willing and able to help keep the caches up-to-date. I won't throw down any caches, but myself and the other cachers here are perfectly happy with replacing wet logs, trimming up some duct tape, or other minor maintenence. Since I don't have access to his computer - the redflag isn't changed unless he does it through the finds. His numbers are also slightly misleading, though he does have a gazillion active caches, the "power trails" are actively refreshed and rotated when growing stale.

Oh my god, please do not tell anybody I am actually supporting him... he might not take my grumbling about having over 2000 unfound caches in my 50 mile radius for over 3 years seriously. :o

I live in ground zero of the room104 power acrage. room104 is a single person but there is a team of local cachers (including myself) that are willing and able to help keep the caches up-to-date. I won't throw down any caches, but myself and the other cachers here are perfectly happy with replacing wet logs, trimming up some duct tape, or other minor maintenence. Since I don't have access to his computer - the redflag isn't changed unless he does it through the finds. His numbers are also slightly misleading, though he does have a gazillion active caches, the "power trails" are actively refreshed and rotated when growing stale.

Oh my god, please do not tell anybody I am actually supporting him... he might not take my grumbling about having over 2000 unfound caches in my 50 mile radius for over 3 years seriously. :o

I been aware of him for a while and I just looked up the map of his area and yep, its different than the last time...if hes refeashing and rotating his caches yearly(you can get a new cache page if you shut it down after a year and get it rePublished)

Yes, if they do that on the ET powertrail every year, it will bring in more money for the people of Rachel Nv. Power runner will return every year for SURE. <_< I am sure the local business in that part of NV would PAY the CO to re publish the caches every year.

BTW...the number one cacher is going to be in SD soon. http://coord.info/GC3TMF6

Not sure how that list is devised as I'm not on the list with currently 56 hides.

One thing that should be noted is events, and archived caches are included in your total hide count.

I'll be over 100 next summer, with only about 70 being active.

That list has been around a long time. I imagine the website owner originally had to find out who the big hiders were, and then just follow their progress. It is not automated! The website owner needs to be informed. Look at the post above mine! And I remember when No. 23 on the list exploded on the scene, and hid like 800 caches in their first 6 months. Someone had to inform the website that there is some crazy new guy from Quebec who hid 800 caches in 6 months. :o Heck, even Room104 came along to Geocaching at a much later date than most of the people on the list. I'll bet someone had to say "hey, there's this person in South Dakota".

I'm quite certain that includes events. Unless someone wants to tell me otherwise, I don't feel like checking it out. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Not sure how that list is devised as I'm not on the list with currently 56 hides.

One thing that should be noted is events, and archived caches are included in your total hide count.

I'll be over 100 next summer, with only about 70 being active.

That list has been around a long time. I imagine the website owner originally had to find out who the big hiders were, and then just follow their progress. It is not automated! The website owner needs to be informed. Look at the post above mine! And I remember when No. 23 on the list exploded on the scene, and hid like 800 caches in their first 6 months. Someone had to inform the website that there is some crazy new guy from Quebec who hid 800 caches in 6 months. :o Heck, even Room104 came along to Geocaching at a much later date than most of the people on the list. I'll bet someone had to say "hey, there's this person in South Dakota".

I'm quite certain that includes events. Unless someone wants to tell me otherwise, I don't feel like checking it out. :)

Makes sense.

I really can't see quality being high with 800 hides in 6 months. Even with a geocaching store in the house, hiding my batch of ~25 caches last year did set me back a bit.

how can some people place so many.. and keep them all in good service !!

read the OBLIGATIONS you have as a CO !!

It's not necessarily one person....It's one login name with several people who use it, put caches out, and maintain them.

There are several login names in our area - aka groups. It's our local community geocaching group and we all help out to keep the caches alive & maintained.

Jeesh I have to find another 750 caches just to make the list and I have 88 hides. I guess I could hide another 12 to make the list as well.

That's interesting. For years I was usually in the top 50 or so on that list. I don't even break the top 200 these days. I randomly looked at a bunch of people in the top 100 and saw a lot of micros being placed. That ain't my game so I will probably, and gladly continue to fall

Jeesh I have to find another 750 caches just to make the list and I have 88 hides. I guess I could hide another 12 to make the list as well.

That's interesting. For years I was usually in the top 50 or so on that list. I don't even break the top 200 these days. I randomly looked at a bunch of people in the top 100 and saw a lot of micros being placed. That ain't my game so I will probably, and gladly continue to fall

Well, I only have 49 hides (about 30 on other websites, but that obviously doesn't count). But similar to that, I've been falling down the New York page on cacherstats.com from day one. I don't know when that site went live, (I'll guess 2005 or 2006), but I was in the top 25. Now I'm at #156. There's 100 cachers per page, and you need 3,192 finds to be on the first page, the top 100, right now. As the years go by, I will fall further and further. :)

EDIT: A Whois lookup shows the domain name cacherstats.com was purchased on 22 February, 2006. I'm sure it went live shortly after that.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

This stat saddens me since we were fans of "the King" King Boreas since he lives in our area. He had the title for a long time then someone with a lot of power trail caches passed him. Oh well, he is still in second with over 3000 hides.

I have much more respect for King Boreas who has spent his caching lifetime hiding his caches walking the forest and parks of America. Unlike Room104 (of whom I am not judging) accomplished his find count by hitting every stop sign in southern South Dakota. I've found Room104 hides, and yes there are good ones. But I'd bet two thirds of his 5000 hides are drive-bys.