Souvenir Hunter! Log will be erased! Thank you!

gpicard

" xxxx found This is Vermont: Roxbury (Traditional Cache) at 8/21/2012

Log Date: 8/21/2012

Souvenir Hunter! Log will be erased! Thank you!"

I looked at the online log and there is no entry.

Looked up the cacher and there is no record of the find but sure enough there is a souvenir!

So should I be honored that my cache was chosen for this dubious accomplishment?

" xxxx found This is Vermont: Roxbury (Traditional Cache) at 8/21/2012

Log Date: 8/21/2012

Souvenir Hunter! Log will be erased! Thank you!"

I looked at the online log and there is no entry.

Looked up the cacher and there is no record of the find but sure enough there is a souvenir!

So should I be honored that my cache was chosen for this dubious accomplishment?

I suppose it could sort of like collecting foreign coins. If one is so inclined there are lots of web sites one can use to purchase foreign coins in bulk and end up with lots of coins for places you've never visited but it still might be nice to have the ooins. Since the Souvenirs page for is part of everyones profile I would find kind of odd to have a souvenir page which implied that I'd visited locations and found caches in those locations when I didn't in fact visit. I've also found caches in 13 countries (14 including my own) but don't have souvenirs for any of them.

Someone is exploiting the ability to collect a souvenir without actually finding caches in those locations.

If they had left the Found Log, I would have deleted it but they did clean up after themselves!

This could probably go in the thread about Finds that aren't really finds!

So what happened exactly?

Someone wanted a Vermont souvenir, so they picked a random cache in Vermont, logged it as found to get the souvenir, then deleted their log. It's too bad that deletion doesn't also remove the souvenir to help prevent this kind of misuse.

No doubt they would find archived caches to log, and hope the CO wasn't watching and deleting logs...

Someone wanted a Vermont souvenir, so they picked a random cache in Vermont, logged it as found to get the souvenir, then deleted their log. It's too bad that deletion doesn't also remove the souvenir to help prevent this kind of misuse.

No doubt they would find archived caches to log, and hope the CO wasn't watching and deleting logs...

you'd think it would make sense the souvenir would get deleted if the log did but nooooooo.

I accidentally logged a California cache and ended up having to drive 2000 km to earn the souvenir.

I still have a drive to Texas to do too as I found a traveling cache that had Texas as to coordinates when I found it.

I still have a drive to Texas to do too as I found a traveling cache that had Texas as to coordinates when I found it.

You can ask to have the souvenir removed by emailing contact@geocaching.com. Also tell them which cache, so they can add it to the exclusion list of moving caches.

you'd think it would make sense the souvenir would get deleted if the log did but nooooooo.

I accidentally logged a California cache and ended up having to drive 2000 km to earn the souvenir.

I see what cache you did, but there is a virutal cache along the freeway just south of there.

A traveling cache got a MO souvenir for me even I never cache there. Yep, I been in that state a few times but that was before I was caching.

You can ask to have the souvenir removed by emailing contact@geocaching.com. Also tell them which cache, so they can add it to the exclusion list of moving caches.

am sure you saw the cache Hydnsek, it was at the Block Party. Roman! got the souvenir the same way I did, from the Vancouver Island Mega where it was labeled as Texas. I still have my Texas souvenir but won't bother emailing since I will be in Texas in 6 months or so anyway.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e7ecd8cb-4bd8-4e0e-8a9c-5e52a8ecdd87

Its listed in Washington so this time it won't affect people. Its on the cache list of Moun10Bikes saying its excluded from souvenirs, but it obviously did not care it was in there during the Mega.

Edited by lamoracke

How many of you guys will like to have control to delete the souvenir or remove them from public view?

as I have said before, I like the souvenir concept, but hate them being applied to just basic map stuff. I see no point hiding them personally, not many people look at other people's souvenirs tabs so not sure why it matters. Course, some folks hide their statistics so it probably matters to a few folks for whatever reason.

I see what cache you did, but there is a virutal cache along the freeway just south of there.

A traveling cache got a MO souvenir for me even I never cache there. Yep, I been in that state a few times but that was before I was caching.

The object you need to find for the virtual is gone and I thought it would be tacky to claim a find but it seems lots of others are OK logging it.

I found it easier and cheaper to ask a lackey to delete it for me.

I found it easier and cheaper to ask a lackey to delete it for me.

I actually did and a few days later it was still there so opted fot plan B.

How many of you guys will like to have control to delete the souvenir or remove them from public view?

as I have said before, I like the souvenir concept, but hate them being applied to just basic map stuff. I see no point hiding them personally, not many people look at other people's souvenirs tabs so not sure why it matters. Course, some folks hide their statistics so it probably matters to a few folks for whatever reason.

Some people like to find as many caches as possible and will go out and find hundreds of nearly identical easy to find caches in order to increase their find count.

Some people like to play the FTF game and will stop whatever they're doing for the chance to get another FTF.

Some people like really challenging hides, long hikes, and/or difficult puzzle caches.

And then there are some people that enjoy traveling and finding a cache in as many new states or countries as they can and like the idea that the can receive a small token of remembrance for visiting those locations.

Some people like to find as many caches as possible and will go out and find hundreds of nearly identical easy to find caches in order to increase their find count.

Some people like to play the FTF game and will stop whatever they're doing for the chance to get another FTF.

Some people like really challenging hides, long hikes, and/or difficult puzzle caches.

And then there are some people that enjoy traveling and finding a cache in as many new states or countries as they can and like the idea that the can receive a small token of remembrance for visiting those locations.

I enjoy all of that.........except the puzzle caches, I hate puzzles caches.

Deleting the log doesn't really delete it - it just removes it from view. It's still counted elsewhere. For example, I get Favorite points not on find numbers ending in 0, but 1 (so at 1341 instead of 1340), because I deleted a Found It log on a BS virtual a number of years ago and then thought better of it.

Someone is exploiting the ability to collect a souvenir without actually finding caches in those locations.

If they had left the Found Log, I would have deleted it but they did clean up after themselves!

This could probably go in the thread about Finds that aren't really finds!

Chalk it up to GS buggy code. I inadvertantly logged a cache in europe (Poland or Chezch) that had the same name as another cache. I informed the CO that i did not infact log the cache, she deleted the log but the suovenir stays on my profile. And GS won't get rid of it.

Can I trade mine in for an improved Hide and Seek a Cache page? I'd do that in a heartbeat!

Yep, I am with you on that. Personal, I think souvenir is a silly side game that is a waste of GS resources.(sure I did one this past weekend but someone influenced me of doing it) What GS had gained from it is my question. I think its a red herring.

My opinion, I think GS as a business is flatline now. I do know they spend alot of their time building up API which its great, but I am not sure how buggy its. It seem its so buggy that GS is spending hours just keeping it going smooth.

My opinion, I think GS as a business is flatline now. I do know they spend alot of their time building up API which its great, but I am not sure how buggy its. It seem its so buggy that GS is spending hours just keeping it going smooth.

Huh? I don't know how much time Groundspeak is spending on the API now, but I'm sure it is not near as much as it was a year ago. I just released a web app, LonelyCache, that makes extensive use of the API and I haven't had any problems with the API at all. There are some additions to it that would help what LonelyCache is doing, but that is a different issue.

...the suovenir stays on my profile. And GS won't get rid of it.

That's odd. A little while ago I sent an email to contact@geocaching.com and mentioned that I had an un-earned souvenir in my collection. They deleted it within a week.

What reason did they give for not deleting yours?

I just released a web app, LonelyCache, that makes extensive use of the API and I haven't had any problems with the API at all.

Way cool site!

Edited by JJnTJ
...the suovenir stays on my profile. And GS won't get rid of it.

That's odd. A little while ago I sent an email to contact@geocaching.com and mentioned that I had an un-earned souvenir in my collection. They deleted it within a week.

I thought that extremely odd, too, because I've had success in both directions (getting one added and getting one removed).

I was traveling on International Geocaching Day last year, and even though I did make a find that day, I wasn't able to log it until a few weeks later. By this time, the period in which the souvenir would be automatically applied had ended, so I emailed them to get it added manually. They did it a few days later.

Then, just a month ago, I logged a moving cache that incorrectly awarded a Texas souvenir (it affected a lot of people). I emailed them, and they removed it within days.

Email them again. Maybe you just caught a lackey having a bad day or something.

I just released a web app, LonelyCache, that makes extensive use of the API and I haven't had any problems with the API at all.

Except it only seems to work on american caches.

I'd like to see where GCDFB 4.5lb Walleye would show up in that list if it were global.

Well, I haven't written an app or anything, nor do I know how too, but there are dozens of never found caches in remote regions of Canada. Probably more there than anywhere else, although they exist all over the world.

Except it only seems to work on american caches.

I'd like to see where GCDFB 4.5lb Walleye would show up in that list if it were global.

Yes, the current territory for LonelyCache is the five US states of Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah.