pq isn't working

3isamagic#

The generator for new PQs was down. It has been restarted and is now back to churning out PQs.

I just tried to run a PQ and got a "500 Server Error".

This is a copy of the message on the screen.

500 - Server Error

We're sorry, your request has resulted in an error.

If you feel that the page you are looking for should be available, please let us know. Otherwise, you may continue to use the site through its navigation, or browse the links below:

Visit the Geocaching Home Page

Create a New Membership

Search for geocaches

I use the latest version of Firefox running on Windows 7 operating system.

It has now been over 2 hours since I first tried to get a PQ. I tried again with a different computer and a different web browser (Internet Explorer) and still getting the same response.

500 Server Error.

This has to be a Geocaching web site problem, since I did use different computers. Is there anyone else having problems? It would be nice to here something from Groundspeak about this situation.

Thanks,

Kayak-Cowboy

Can you provide more information about the steps you are taking when you receive this error? Are you trying to set up a new PQ, run an existing one, or something else? When you get the error, please try backing up a page and viewing the page source in your browser. At the bottom of the code will be information showing what browser you are on. Please supply this information if you can, as it may help us trace down the issue.

Thanks!

Can you provide more information about the steps you are taking when you receive this error? Are you trying to set up a new PQ, run an existing one, or something else? When you get the error, please try backing up a page and viewing the page source in your browser. At the bottom of the code will be information showing what browser you are on. Please supply this information if you can, as it may help us trace down the issue.

Thanks!

I just tried again with the same results. 500 Server Error. Using Firefox 14.0.1 and Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

What I did was a New PQ, Check Tuesday, Run once then delete, 500 caches, Selected cache type Traditional and Event, Any container, Haven't found; don't own; is enabled, checked dif and ter greater than or equal to 1, Selected state Kentucky,

Postal code 40202, within 100 miles. Sending to my primary e-mail address for Geocaching. Hit submit and it keeps giving me the 500 Server Error.

It's a bug, but there's no need to check the T >= 1 and D >= 1 boxes. If you don't check them, that's the default anyway. Checking them is what is leading to the server error.

Also, please note that the search you are creating is returning *way* more than 500 caches (more like 15,000 or so). That's an unnecessary drain on the server and will return a somewhat unexpected set of results as the query will just return the first 500 it finds in the database meeting the criteria.

It's a bug, but there's no need to check the T >= 1 and D >= 1 boxes. If you don't check them, that's the default anyway. Checking them is what is leading to the server error.

Also, please note that the search you are creating is returning *way* more than 500 caches (more like 15,000 or so). That's an unnecessary drain on the server and will return a somewhat unexpected set of results as the query will just return the first 500 it finds in the database meeting the criteria.

I'm no longer able to preview a PQ I've submitted. There is a '1000' where that dialog used to be but no other words.

They've used the default of 100 miles, which seems excessive to me. For example, a PQ centred on GSHQ with a radius of 100 miles would reach north across the border into Canada, encompass the entire Greater Victoria area to the northwest, and most of the Olympic Peninsula to the west. Then there's the rest of the compass. Perhaps it would be a good idea to lower the default value to help prevent these "overkill" PQs. I bet there are a ton of PQs out there that are just using the default of 100 miles and the users don't even realize how much of a drain they're causing.

PQs aren't working for me either. I am trying to find certain difficulty/terrain rated caches so am checking the "equal to" box in that field. I submit then another page comes up. This it the page that usually has the "preview" results link in the first sentence. That sentence is not coming up. It is showing a little green number which i think might be the number of cache results, but it is not clickable.