Wrong state specified in cache

I'm going through an exercise where we are finding several caches that are marked with the wrong state. For example, the following three caches show they are in Arizona, when in fact, they are just across the river in Nevada:

This causes problems, such as those caches showing up in PQs based on the state they are not in, and not showing up in PQs for the state they are in.

I'm trying to decide the best way to manage this. I can attempt to contact each CO and request that he/she update the cache's state. That seems hit and miss whether the CO actually receives and acts on the request. Another possibility is to contact a reviewer with a list of affected caches, but I don't know how a reviewer would react to a request like this or whether the reviewer is able to update the state.

Is there a preferred method?

Thanks.

Edited by Corfman Clan

Start with the CO, see what happens :anicute:

Perhaps so. That's probably fine for three caches, but I believe there are many more. I think it will be cumbersome keeping track of each request's disposition and in the end I imagine not all will be corrected. If another route (reviewer?) would need to be taken anyway, it seems best to start there.

Edited by Corfman Clan

I do not believe that the CO can correct the state. I think it is determined the coordinates (right or wrong).

I just checked an unpublished of mine... using the Edit Listing link, there is no field in which to enter the state.

That is not true. When one edits a listing, the location is below the map. There the CO can change both the Country and the State.

Shouldn't the state depend on the actual location? How about multi's that start in one state and end in another, how should those be listed?

Ideally, the State/Country should be obtained by reverse geocoding (the process of reverse coding a set of lat/long coordinates to a place name). That typically requires an external lookup service that is authoritative and accurate. If a cache is placed close to a state/country boundary the accuracy of those coordinates when taken with a GPS could easily produce a location name on the other side of the boundary. As long as the State/Country field is editable, and the CO specifies the correct place name that would likely produce more accurate place names than if they were only derived using reverse geocoding.

For a multi or unknown cache, the place name should reflect the location of the final container.

For a multi or unknown cache, the place name should reflect the location of the final container.

For a multi or a mystery cache, the location is the location of the icon/starting point.

I'd have to agree the state/country should match the published coordinates.

However, none of that is really pertinent to how I should go about getting several geocaches listing the wrong state corrected.

Thanks.

For a multi or a mystery cache, the location is the location of the icon/starting point.

However, none of that is really pertinent to how I should go about getting several geocaches listing the wrong state corrected.

Thanks.

Looks like there is disagreement on whether the location should reflect that published coordinates or the final. I haven't looked at enough cache to see how cache owners actually do it, but I suspect that it's not consistent. It doesn't quite seem right to use the published coordinates to specify the location for an unknown caches because often the published coordinates have nothing to do with the actual location.

I did find a cache once that was listed as in California but looked to me that it was definitely on the Nevada side of the border. I sent email to the CO (as did some others) and eventually they changed the location to Nevada. It's still the only cache in Nevada that I've found.

Here is one.

its really in NV. :)

This is the best time to get that virtual if you wanna get it. Theres a small body of water you need to cross and this is the best time to do it, but dont go if the area had rain in the last 5 days to be safe. 4x4 is a must for this cache. I know which roads to use to get it.

forgot to add a url... http://coord.info/GC2101

Edited by SwineFlew

Thanks.

Yo Corfman!

I've seen this more than a few times, and it frosts my cookies that the reviewer doesn't notice the discrepancy at the time of publication...I guess that just isn't part of their job.

I have sent messages to cache owners to point this out, and mostly they were appreciative.