Colorado 400t stuck on loading maps! :(

I've this GPS for about as long as I've been geocaching. It used to work perfectly. I haven't been caching for a while and I finally renewed my membership and fired up the Garmin to load caches.

It's stuck on the loading maps screen. I've searched and tried the three button reset which did clear user data. It worked twice, long enough to load some caches, find one and that's it.

I pull the batteries, reinsert and it locks up either on the loading maps screen or the do you want to delete user data screen if I leave it alone there.

Any tips? :( I'm so bummed. I love this GPS.

Ok, I might be an idiot. But during the testing my GPS stated low battery. Would a low battery cause the unit to lock up?

I put in freshly charged ones and it rebooted ok.

It seems that only fully recharged batteries are allowing it to get past load maps screen. My batteries are all rechargable.

Could this be an issue?

Also, the freshly charged batteries just dropped by half power in 10 minues in my GPS. Ahhhh. What's going on.

Do you have the correct type batteries selected int he GPSr setup menu?

Perhaps your rechargeable batteries are no longer holding a full charge?

Maybe try a standard battery type and see what happens?

It's funny. My Colorado 300 also sticks at "loading maps..." forever, immediately after unplugging it from my computer after uploading caches with GSAK. Then I power it off and back on again, and it's fine. It has always done this, and I don't notice any missing caches (i.e. if a GPX file was only partially loaded).

It also only gets about two hours out of NiMH rechargeables (with the correct setting); the same batteries run my 60CSx for at least six hours.

Will it boot when plugged into a PC through the USB port? In one of my battery experiments I couldn't get it to boot, and I think that's how I was able to get it to boot and change the battery setting.

It's funny. My Colorado 300 also sticks at "loading maps..." forever, immediately after unplugging it from my computer after uploading caches with GSAK. Then I power it off and back on again, and it's fine. It has always done this, and I don't notice any missing caches (i.e. if a GPX file was only partially loaded).

I'm not the only one then!!

I've a 300 (with latest FW) which I my step-son uses, and also use GSAK. It's just one of those things you get used to, and like you once I've rebooted a second time the unit is fine.

I see on the Garmin site that I can send it for repair for $99. What if they can't repair it? Do I still pay? Is this a good solution?

They may or may not fix your unit. What you get back is another unit that has been refurbed. If you have maps with a lock on the unit make sure you mention this when you get the RFA so they can enable another lock for you unit to download maps again. I've used the service a couple times. I have not been disappointed.

HELP!!

All of a sudden, my Colorado 400T is stuck on loading maps. It's done this in the past but usually removing the batteries and then, putting them back in resolves the issue. It won't work this time. I tried fully charged rechargeable batteries and fully charged traditional batteries. It's still stuck on loading maps. I read through this thread and tried the M1 but am not sure what to do once I get there. I'm not a techie type person so any help is appreciated.

First try eusty's (Post #12) step M11 to reset all user data. This always works for me. If you can connect to the PC and get into USB mode delete the cache .gpx file(s) and boot it up. If it does boot up, shut off and load your cache files again, and reboot (hopefully).

Failing that try using WebUpdater to re-install the firmware even if it says you have the latest version. I once needed to do that when step M11 didn't work.

What I found to cause this issue is the loading of a large cache .gpx file of the same name as a previous load. In my case I combine/filter 5 PQs in GSAK and export out a single large .gpx file with the name "Total_Caches.gpx". What has solved my "stuck on loading maps" problem is to connect to the PC and delete that old cache file and reboot clean. Then load my cache file again (same name is OK now) and it boots normally.

I got my GPS to work thanks to TimPat's help. Thank you.

Sadly, I'm having a problem again. This morning, I plugged the Colorado 400T into my pc & it started to save the GPX/Waypoints with the countdown percentage. It got stuck at 41% & that's as far as it went. I guess I should have just shut the pc down at that point but as a reflex, just unplugged it. Now, all the GPS will do is turn on and show the Garmin banner. It won't say, "loading maps" or anything. I also tried doing the M12 steps but it doesn't recognize the "Updater.exe 066101000230.rgn". I'm sure it's user error on my part (maybe I didn't save it right or made an error along the way), just not really gadget savvy :-( & now don't know what to do.

Could someone please help me?

I got my GPS to work thanks to TimPat's help. Thank you.

Sadly, I'm having a problem again. This morning, I plugged the Colorado 400T into my pc & it started to save the GPX/Waypoints with the countdown percentage. It got stuck at 41% & that's as far as it went. I guess I should have just shut the pc down at that point but as a reflex, just unplugged it. Now, all the GPS will do is turn on and show the Garmin banner. It won't say, "loading maps" or anything. I also tried doing the M12 steps but it doesn't recognize the "Updater.exe 066101000230.rgn". I'm sure it's user error on my part (maybe I didn't save it right or made an error along the way), just not really gadget savvy :-( & now don't know what to do.

Could someone please help me?

The updater.exe solution saved me a couple of times with the Colorado and once with the Montana, but from what I remember getting the unit to work with it required a little bit of art, a little bit of luck, and a few attempts.