FTF found logging

team hornseth

HI I am wondering if I find a FTF and do not have any way to log it on the computer rigth away.. is there anything I need to write.. since then someone else can log it before me. .but I was there first.. are there any ruls about this? or do I just have to write I was the FTF finder..

Have gotten some different feed back from friends so just want to see what everyone else around means.. have not done it that long.. but have gotten some FTF.. and its fun.. but I do not have a computer rigth away.

Thanks for any answare..

Team Hornseth

HI I am wondering if I find a FTF and do not have any way to log it on the computer rigth away.. is there anything I need to write..

You might say "Found on [date] at [time]", on both the paper log, and on the web site. The sequence on the web site is not important, but careful documentation avoids strife later.

If you aren't the "First To Find" but one of the first to log online, do not use the word "first" in your log in any context. I once typed something like "First cache of the day" and almost got my head bit off.

Edited by kunarion

Also (and I only add this after reading lots of slightly fraught posts on these forums regarding FTFs) apparently some FTFers take delight in signing the logbook not on the first page, as any reasonable person would expect, but a few pages in. Then the (not)FTFer like you comes along, finds what appears to be a blank logbook (pause for quiet cheering) signs on the first page, goes home with some delight at being FTF... and logs the FTF on line.

Cue the other earlier FTFer who points out that they were not the FTF because they signed 10 minutes earlier on page 6 of the logbook.

Fight/angry words/general angst ensues. <_<

MrsB

Also (and I only add this after reading lots of slightly fraught posts on these forums regarding FTFs) apparently some FTFers take delight in signing the logbook not on the first page, as any reasonable person would expect, but a few pages in. Then the (not)FTFer like you comes along, finds what appears to be a blank logbook (pause for quiet cheering) signs on the first page, goes home with some delight at being FTF... and logs the FTF on line.

Cue the other earlier FTFer who points out that they were not the FTF because they signed 10 minutes earlier on page 6 of the logbook.

MrsB

I have seen plenty of log books that got signed in non-guestbook-like ways, so why would "FTF" be on a sensible page? :rolleyes:

Lately, I sign the log book, do the online log, "claim" nothing, and let the Cache Owner sort it out. I only get a little panicky if see a blank box "For The First To Find To Sign" -- that means I'd better do a check of all the pages...

It's not uncommon for FTF to not log first on-line. Don't worry about it, just explain you were FTF. (I provide a time in my log when I find a cache on the first day so people can see how much who missed what by.)

No kidding? If someone claimed they did that, I'd assume they were just lying and actually found it after FTF but were pretending otherwise. Since they "cleverly" failed to do anything that can be proved to be FTF, I think the person signing on the FTF line gets the credit for it, regardless. I say that out of simple logistics -- the CO has no way of determining that the signature in the FTF line wasn't the FTF, so there's no reason to deny them the claim -- and it's just a happy coincidence that that rule would screw anyone that thought signing for FTF elsewhere was funny.

I've seen people sign a log other than the FTF line, but only when they were there at the hiding so weren't claiming FTF honors. I'd go so far as to guess that people that thought someone was doing a secret FTF signing to fool them were actually seeing that.

The FTF only applies to the physical logbook, not on the online page of any cache.

If you want to keep a "proof", just take a picture of the log on the logbook... but keep in mind that every log has the same value... just pure personal joy, nothing else. :)

EXCELLENT POST!

Now we're getting somewhere.

@team hornseth

After carefully checking for FTF trickery, just claim your status in your log.

seems to vary by location here the person who logs online first usually puts somthing like "FTL, STF" FTL= First To Log meaning they are the 1st to submit the find on the online log) STF= Second To Find meaning one person had previously found the cache the cache.

MrsB

Funny you should mention that....I think this happened to me TODAY!! I swore I was the first to sign underneath the 'GOOD LUCK'

I'm going back to 'inspect' the logbook .....

Are people doing this on purpose? OR....what?? I mean, they've gotta make sure nobody signed it before them. ???

Funny you should mention that....I think this happened to me TODAY!! I swore I was the first to sign underneath the 'GOOD LUCK'

Are people doing this on purpose? OR....what?? I mean, they've gotta make sure nobody signed it before them. ???

Some people seem to take delight in tormenting other people. That's the only explanation.

Some people seem to take delight in tormenting other people. That's the only explanation.

Well, no, as I said before, another explanation is that they're lying about signing first. In fact, that's the only supportable explanation, since there's simply no way for them to prove they signed first somewhere other than the first line. As far as I'm concerned, that's case closed. There's no reason to listen to any other explanation.

MrsB

There is nothing saying that you must to sign on the first page or under the "GOOD LUCK". Also check the container for a signature. In the past there have been some people that signed the container instead of the log book.

It is just braggin rights and I always put date and time in the log of the cache itself. Logging the cache page can happen when ya got time. Put more effort into the logs and lets us know about your fun, especially if you had an experience. We love to see any great photos as well.

It is about you being out there - having the time of your life. GOT IT!

So help me out here a moment. I have 4 FTF. ( yeah ME! :lol: ). I did not see a place on log-in to check a box. Is there one? Does it disappear after the first log-in?

I did mention FTF in my entries, tho. I would like it if GEOCACHE kept track for me. I tried CacheStats tonight to see my stuff and searched ftf in my stats and could see the 4 caches I found and the log entries. That was cool and handy!

But it seems that there must have been an easier way.

Can I post FTF in retro?

Thx for your thoughts! :)

BIG OOPPSS! Just read further down the list of topics and see answers to what I asked. My bad! My learning! All good!!

Edited by indigodave

So help me out here a moment. I have 4 FTF. ( yeah ME! :lol: ). I did not see a place on log-in to check a box. Is there one? Does it disappear after the first log-in?

I did mention FTF in my entries, tho. I would like it if GEOCACHE kept track for me. I tried CacheStats tonight to see my stuff and searched ftf in my stats and could see the 4 caches I found and the log entries. That was cool and handy!

But it seems that there must have been an easier way.

Can I post FTF in retro?

Thx for your thoughts! :)

BIG OOPPSS! Just read further down the list of topics and see answers to what I asked. My bad! My learning! All good!!

FTF is nothing official.

So if you want to play the FTF game You do not need to track it at all. If you want, you have to keep track on your own. Whether you will use a software feature (e.g. GeoGet or GSAK) or will just count it on your profile page or just keep it in the memory depends on you.

Some software might recognize the FTF in your log automatically, but I'm not sure how it will recognize situations where I was trying to be FTF but I was not and I will mention this experience in the log with a sentence like "I have nearly crached the car to be FTF, but I was late." - will it fail and count it as FTF?

Another software will recognize more specific patterns, it will not count FTF but only (FTF) or {FTF} or {*FTF*}, you can try this at the site project-gc.com. It will also recognize if you edit the log, but it might take very long time to update. Another site geocachecompanion.com will track FTF/STF if you or the cache owner will mark your log.

Do not forget to have fun. cool.gif

Well, no, as I said before, another explanation is that they're lying about signing first. In fact, that's the only supportable explanation, since there's simply no way for them to prove they signed first somewhere other than the first line. As far as I'm concerned, that's case closed. There's no reason to listen to any other explanation.

I don't play the FTF game but if someone signs the sixth page of the logbook AND takes a picture of an empty first page of the logbook. I might consider that proof that they were FTF.

To the original poster. As you can see there are many opinions about FTF. When I started caching I played that game for a while until I realized that being first to find wasn't much different than being 75th to find.The only REAL advantage to being first to find is that you are sure that you are finding the cache exactly as the cache owner placed it and there will be no "cache trail" giving you a hint. The down side is that you sometimes have to deal with bad (sometimes really bad) coordinates

Enjoy the game and sign the logs any way you want to.

Edited by the3gmen

I agree on this. Personal pleasure. They ain't giving out no t-shirts or coffee mugs. The log tells it all. There are sometimes some mixups for various reasons, but basically if the log was blank when you got it, the cache is new and showed no activity (thus indicating that a blank log is NOT a new/replaced log), then you say FTF regardless of who posted first. If there is any question, well, you understand the concept of FTF and if the log was blank when you found it, YOU know who the real FTF is. Leave it at that. I keep two folders of my finds on my iPhone. One for all finds and one that an additional copy of goes into if it is a FTF. (NOTE: Personally I find the habit of taking a picture of a log sheet to be a silly practice that, when taken to the extreme, is VERY annoying when scaning through the pics of the cache. "Oh, here's a log sheet!" "Oh, another log sheet. It has more names on it now. That's interesting. Maybe that is because all those extra people didn't see the need to post a pic of a piece of paper!" Silliness.

The FTF only applies to the physical logbook, not on the online page of any cache.

If you want to keep a "proof", just take a picture of the log on the logbook... but keep in mind that every log has the same value... just pure personal joy, nothing else. :)

Edited by Zerpersande

...(NOTE: Personally I find the habit of taking a picture of a log sheet to be a silly practice that, when taken to the extreme, is VERY annoying when scaning through the pics of the cache. "Oh, here's a log sheet!" "Oh, another log sheet. It has more names on it now. That's interesting. Maybe that is because all those extra people didn't see the need to post a pic of a piece of paper!" Silliness.

True, but if the owner cares to look and notices Cacher XXX did not sign, they would have a case for log deletion.

HI I am wondering if I find a FTF and do not have any way to log it on the computer rigth away.. is there anything I need to write.. since then someone else can log it before me. .but I was there first.. are there any ruls about this? or do I just have to write I was the FTF finder..

Have gotten some different feed back from friends so just want to see what everyone else around means.. have not done it that long.. but have gotten some FTF.. and its fun.. but I do not have a computer rigth away.

Thanks for any answare..

Team Hornseth

As stated physical log book rules on FTF. Not everyone geocaches with phones so someone can FTF and not log online for a period of time. If I FTF I usually write the date and time down. It is the only time that I write the time down.

On this FTF subject I had a psychic moment today and have found a cache yet to be published. I have dutifully signed the FTF log and dated it. Can I count it as a FTF if the cache is eventually published? It would be my first.

On this FTF subject I had a psychic moment today and have found a cache yet to be published. I have dutifully signed the FTF log and dated it. Can I count it as a FTF if the cache is eventually published? It would be my first.

Sure, you can count it, although the first to FTF after publication may also want to count it. In some cases, the CO might get annoyed and claim your find wasn't legit. If the log had the CO's name on it, you could drop him a line and ask how he'd like you to handle it.

Are you sure it was unpublished and not a letterbox or a cache published at some other site?

As stated physical log book rules on FTF. Not everyone geocaches with phones so someone can FTF and not log online for a period of time. If I FTF I usually write the date and time down. It is the only time that I write the time down.

Definitely contact the CO. If I were the CO, I would appreciate your attempt to avoid hard feelings from a later "FTFer."

I did mention FTF in my entries, tho. I would like it if GEOCACHE kept track for me.

That's never going to happen because there is no way for the site to know who signed the physical log (and thus was FTF) first. Groundspeak doesn't recognize the FTF sub-game as an official aspect of the game, and certainly doesn't want to get into the position of arbitrating disputes over who was the first to find a cache.

You can do anything you want in regards to the FTF game although it's a good idea to learn what the local etiquette is among those the play the FTF game. Since there isn't any sort of central registry for who is the first to find a cache everyone is free to count their FTFs using whatever mechanism works best for them. Keep in mind that this is a global game and in most places in the world the FTF game (as played in densely populated areas where new caches are published every day) doesn't exist.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher