What makes an Event a Mega Event?

So... What makes an event, a Mega Event in Geocaching?

I'm not just looking at the 500+ attendee requirement, or the previous event had to break the 500 attendee makr (which is not always required apparently).

Of the three mega-events I have attended (admittably all hosted by the same group), I have noticed that accommidations for the event, sleeping accommidations (camping and hotels) and a well organized event are all I can see that can make an event mega status potential.

Am I missing anything?

Here in FL it seems that along about the 7th or 8th year an event might have built enough steam for mega potential. Stretching the festivities over a weekend helps too. Makes it worth a trip from out of town. The two I've been to also seem to place a lot of new caches for the event. That ensures the numbers hounds will be out in force.

Same as Isonzo stated...I think I don't understand...but, also keep in mind it is 500 people...not 500 Geocaching Accounts...but each member of the team needs to "sign-in". So, a sign-in sheet is about the simplest way to show 500 people attended the event.

(of course...I most likely over-simplified the situation...but...just offering my understanding as it where...worth no more than the paper it is printed on B) )

I might not have worded the question simple enough.

It was more about what attracts people to an event that would make it a mega status?

I know if the event got mega status the previous year, that will generally attract people to the next one.

I'm also kind of interested how to get mega-event privileges on a first time event (i.e list earlier then standard events, etc). I know of at least one event that was able to get mega privileges for their first event.

I might not have worded the question simple enough.

It was more about what attracts people to an event that would make it a mega status?

I know if the event got mega status the previous year, that will generally attract people to the next one.

I'm also kind of interested how to get mega-event privileges on a first time event (i.e list earlier then standard events, etc). I know of at least one event that was able to get mega privileges for their first event.

Per the Mega-Event guidelines, most events do not get Mega status their first time. You have to earn it by demonstrating you can attract 500+ attendees.

I just hosted WSGA's third annual Going APE event, our first to have Mega status at publication. Last year's event was given Mega status after the fact, once we confirmed we had 500+ attendees by carefully counting log signatures.

As for what attracts folks to events and makes it Mega - that varies. It's not about accommodations, it's about location and activities mostly. Going APE is different from most other Mega-events - it's a low-key day in the gorgeous Cascade mountains, hiking and biking and exploring a spooky 2-mile tunnel. There are no formal activities, vendors, group photo, or raffle (and no APE cache anymore). But people love it, and it shows you don't need a lot of bells and whistles for a whole lotta folks to show up and have fun. (Okay, it also helps that we are part of International Geocaching Weekend, partnered with the Groundspeak Block Party. :P )

Edited by hydnsek

I attended a Flash Mob event for WWFM in Zurich where the creator asked everyone to fill out a piece of paper with their geohandle and how many attendees were represented. After counting all the names they came up with 487 attendees. I wouldn't be surprised if some people forget to fill out a log sheet or just didn't place one in the box used to collect them, and that the actual attendance was over 500.

Free steak-and-lobster dinner(s).

LOTS of high-dollar giveaways.

Low-cost accommodations for attendees.

Free Geocoins for everyone!

Several nearby 200+ powertrails.

That should do it. ;)

Personally, none of the above would attract me, and the thought of mingling in a mob of 500+ GPSr-waving retards fellow Geocachers turns me off completely, and makes me want to run for the hills.

Free steak-and-lobster dinner(s).

LOTS of high-dollar giveaways.

Low-cost accommodations for attendees.

Free Geocoins for everyone!

Several nearby 200+ powertrails.

That should do it. ;)

Personally, none of the above would attract me, and the thought of mingling in a mob of 500+ GPSr-waving retards fellow Geocachers turns me off completely, and makes me want to run for the hills.

You wouldn't attend an event for Free Steak and Lobster (ok, I will admit the Lobster wouldn't impress me).

Per the Mega-Event guidelines, most events do not get Mega status their first time. You have to earn it by demonstrating you can attract 500+ attendees.

In several European countries it is by now no problem at all to het the mega status already right from the beginning - 500 participants is just peanuts.

I'd wish Groundspeak never introduced a special icon and handling for large events.

For example, this mega event

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3Q8DH

has been published yesterday evening and this morning it has already close to 150 will attend logs

(which should add up to over 300 participants counted in a very conservative way) even though the event is up just since a few hours.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

In several European countries it is by now no problem at all to het the mega status already right from the beginning - 500 participants is just peanuts.

I'd wish Groundspeak never introduced a special icon and handling for large events.

For example, this mega event

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3Q8DH

has been published yesterday evening and this morning it has already close to 150 will attend logs

(which should add up to over 300 participants counted in a very conservative way) even though the event is up just since a few hours.

Cezanne

It may be easy over there, but it is a great challenge in other areas.

I attended both Florida Finders Fest 7 and Cacheapalooza 6 in the last year which became the first two MegaEvents in Florida's history. It was my first year at FFF and my second at CP.

So what do I think drew enough people to each to gain MegaEvent status? In no particular order, here are some factors that certainly helped...

1) Both were weekend events. The main mega event is on Saturday, but there were other events on Friday and Sunday.

2) Ease of lodging for people wanting to stay the weekend. FFF is in Ocala National Forest. Camping was available at the event location plus various campgrounds in ONF and hotels in nearby Ocala. CP is held at a state park with campgrounds and nearby hotels.

3) Steady leadership. I believe IceCreamMan has being chief of FFF every year. The CP Crew membership varies from year-to-year, but there some people who have been on the Crew every year and many more have contributed for several years running so there's the right amount of fresh ideas and experience.

4) Give 'em smileys. The caches at JDSP are changed out every year for CP. Lots of caches were placed in the ONF for FFF.

5) Have a draw. For FFF, The Gauntlet is a pretty unique experience and there's plenty of (mostly good-natured) competition and ribbing surrounding it. For CP, I think it's the allure of a large park with lots of fresh caches with good timing (January in Florida) with a variety of offerings (CITO, geo-games, presentations, big raffle, poker run, etc) with some changes every year to keep it fresh.

6) Feed your attendees. CP6 and FFF7 both offered a free dinner.

It may be easy over there, but it is a great challenge in other areas.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I just wanted to comment that it is not true that most mega events need

several attempts to receive mega status. Also free food and organized accomodation are not necessarily

required. Many European mega events offered instructions for beginners in T5-caching - that appears to be

something of attraction for many cachers.

By the way, the mega event I have mentioned above, has reached the 500+ participant level within 24 hours

after publishing.

Cezanne