FTF Prizes?

What's a good FTF prize?? I'm planning on our first hide...have an ammo box, and a potential spot. Need to go check it out a bit more, and get readings, and fill the box. Would like to have a good prize or something...the rest of the swag will probably be hotwheels cars (themed box my hubby wants to do). I was thinking maybe a $5 Moxie/TCBY card? for lack of better ideas...what else is good, or what do you guys like to find for a good FTF prize? OH, and we'll probably release a new TB in it as well.

First off, FTF prizes are not particularly common in most areas, nor are they expected. The only prize most FTF hounds will tell you they want is a blank logbook. I've probably left a dozen or so FTF prizes out of all of my caches and half the time the FTF didn't even bother taking it.

Eventually I decided to forget about the FTF prize and use the money I would have spent on it to spruce up the contents for everyone.

The simple answer is, "Don't sweat it." Anything you leave for FTF is fine. And leaving nothing for FTF is also fine. I suggest thinking more about what you want to be known for leaving for the FTF than worrying about what the FTF would like to find, especially since what people like varies as you can see from other responses. I've ignored FTF prizes, particularly if there's nothing on them to mark them. Of the prizes I've seen, personally I like cash since I can actually use it, although since I often drop dollar coins in caches, I typically trade dollar for dollar.

As someone else mentioned, the ultimate cool FTF prize is an unactivated geocoin. Almost everyone would consider you a god for leaving something that generous. At the next level, leaving an activated TB in the cache is greatly appreciated by most. Although not strictly an FTF prize, it has a similar effect.

Edited by dprovan

I recently bought a 4-pack of travel bug dog tags and will be leaving one as a FTF prize in a cache I'm currently setting up. In another recently posted cache I left a small baggie with a micro container and naval lapel pin. Both of those items were purchased in lots so my cost was a couple bucks.

I don't leave prizes for the first since for most people who claim the three initials signing a blank log is its own reward. They also have the pick of items to trade should they want to return home with something. And they can include a few wah-hoos, yippies, or extra smileys in their log if they really want to make a point.

But I have left prizes for the fourth or fifth to find - people who come for reasons other than the glory of a new cache. These range from unactivated geocoins to local sports bobbleheads.

Edited by geodarts

I have seen FTF prizes stay in the cache after 4 or 5 finds. I like the geocoins9unactivated) that you CAN'T buy anywhere. I've seen toy cars, pins, TB's. I've given a trackable shirt once. My favourite-and I didn't get it-was a 6-pack of Pilsner(beer) Of course it wasn't left in the cache, but was given at an event.

What's a good FTF prize?? I'm planning on our first hide...have an ammo box, and a potential spot. Need to go check it out a bit more, and get readings, and fill the box. Would like to have a good prize or something...the rest of the swag will probably be hotwheels cars (themed box my hubby wants to do). I was thinking maybe a $5 Moxie/TCBY card? for lack of better ideas...what else is good, or what do you guys like to find for a good FTF prize? OH, and we'll probably release a new TB in it as well.

in the past I left starbucks cards, now when I hade a new cache I do not leave anything because the only people that can make a FTF are people with smart phones and I do not want to offer a prize that only some cachers will have a chance to claim. I have thought of offering a prize for 20th to find.

People really seem to like to get these from my new caches.

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

Before I graduated to to my pressed coins, I used smiley keychains and those cheap party favor 1st prize medals. I also used to put 3 or 4 bucks worth of gas/toll money for the FTF, but that was when gas was a whole lot cheaper . :laughing:

Before I graduated to to my pressed coins, I used smiley keychains and those cheap party favor 1st prize medals. I also used to put 3 or 4 bucks worth of gas/toll money for the FTF, but that was when gas was a whole lot cheaper . :laughing:

They're pretty cool :D

Do you have your own press to make these or do you get them made commercially?

They're pretty cool :D

Do you have your own press to make these or do you get them made commercially?

I have my own press and 12 different dies + 2 different backside dies. Most of the dies are geocaching related.

They are all posted in my gallery starting around page 11.

There's a custom around here (Victoria, Australia) to leave what we call "scratchies"...Instant Lottery tickets..you know the ones, you scratch to reveal numbers/symbols and you may win up to a few thousand $$'s on a $1 scratchie. No-one has actually won that much, but a few have won enough to cover the cost of petrol for the day. My son loves a FTF when there's scratchies, he gets to keep the proceeds...

in the past I left starbucks cards, now when I hade a new cache I do not leave anything because the only people that can make a FTF are people with smart phones and I do not want to offer a prize that only some cachers will have a chance to claim. I have thought of offering a prize for 20th to find.

I like this attitude and thanks for the smart idea. I would consider offering a small gift for the 15th to find so that it can still be qualified as an FTF Prize.