Magellan forum reported as dangerous

Just tried to log into the Magellan explorist forum and google warns it is dangerous (This web page at www.exploristforum.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.)--just a heads up for magellan users---use with care

I looked at the Diagnostic page for exploristforum.com.

Basically it says that Google has detected "suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days" but "exploristforum.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites". Google goes on to say "third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message" and "If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site".

I am sure Magellan knows about this and it is just a matter of time before Magellan either disables all third party content on the site and/or tracks down which third party was the source. Google will then lift their warning.

If you are using a MAC or a Linux machine you can click on Ignore This Warning and continue to the site without worry.

It's funny you should mention it. Three days ago I had no more than opened the web page and a pop up indicating my "free" version of Security Scan had downloaded. I knew I was in trouble because I hadn't opted to download anything. This was one very nasty piece of Malware. After doing a fair amount of research I was able to reboot my computer in safe mode and download a legitimate free Malware removal tool. It sounds like a fair amount of users must have been hit with this virus, thus the fair warning.

New info on the diagnostics page.

"Of the 199 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-08-18, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-08-17.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including bronzecable.ru/."

What this tells me is that someone most likely made a post to the Magellan forums that included code that linked to a virus being hosted at bronzecable.ru. Really, it could happen to almost any forum site. Once Magellan delete the post and bad the user that made the posts then Magellan will contact Google and get the ban lifted. You just have to wait it out.

If you ever wondered why Groundspeak restricts the usable HTML tags to a very small set in the cache descriptions it is to avoid exactly this from happening!

Just tried to log into the Magellan explorist forum and google warns it is dangerous (This web page at www.exploristforum.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.)--just a heads up for magellan users---use with care

I just had visions flitting through my head of "This crucial security service is proudly sponsored by Garmin"...