Wrecking caches

drsolly

I've wrecked a few. Here's three of them.

I was looking for a keysafe by groping along a rail; I couldn't see what I was doing, so I had to grope. My finger touched the cache, the magnet wasn't very strong, it dislodged the cache, which fell down. twenty feet. Into the Thames. and there was no way to get down to it. I went out the next day and put up a replacement.

I was looking for a small, it was hidden among a pile of rocks, so I was up on the rock pile, turning over rocks and wondering how long this would take. I changed my position and heard a loud "CRACK" from where my feet were. Yes, I'd trodden on a rock that was on top of the cache, the cache was one of those fragile plastic boxes that you get takeaway meals in, and it was totally broken.

Ladysolly was groping for a cache by a river; touch ... splash and before either of us could do anything, it had sailed majestically away out of reach.

I lost one here in the USA. It was in a brick wall used to muffle the sound of a freeway and it was hidden in a crack. I tried to use my pen to pry it out but it ended up falling back into the wall lost forever. I left a note for the owner who decided to just give up the spot instead of replacing it.

A new cache on the back of one of those green exchange boxes. It was on a corner in a residential area so I leaned the bike against it, strategically positioned so I could look as if I were adjusting the bike while reaching for the cache. A quick check that the coast was clear, and I reached for the cache.

Unfortunately just as I pulled it off the metal a muggle appeared and coughed, which startled me and I dropped the cache. I figured my chances of finding a nano, possibly further back than I could reach, among the debris that inevitably seems to gather behind exchange boxes, were pretty close to zero.

Apologetic email to owner followed shortly afterwards.

I think, you're better off emailing the owner and telling them what happened.... If you can replace it, that's GREAT!! But let the owner know what happened.....

One of my own caches may have been dropped in the pond.... I'm not really sure what happened since nobody mentioned anything..... We had a few DNF's on the cache, so my husband and I went out to check on it and it was missing. We replaced the container.

Then, a few days later.... we saw a log about there being 2 containers at GZ.

Went back and picked up the second container. I'm assuming someone came back to replace it. And that was really nice..... An email would've been nice too.

Edited by Lieblweb

I've lost or broken more than one container in my time. Where possible I've replaced, or repaired. Where not, I've said sorry, usually in the log as well as in email.

However, the emails (two) I've had to send when I've lost someone's geocoin were much harder to write. That's one of the reasons I rarely move trackables nowadays.

I found a cache that was slightly bigger than a 35mm film pot. I signed the log with my Swedish pencil, then carefully wrapped the log around the pencil and pushed the bundle back into the container. It was a tight squeeze to get the lid on, but just as it clicked into place, the point of the pencil punched a hole in the lid. A small fragment of plastic shot off into the air.

Then I realised that there was no pencil in the cache to begin with... d'oh! An apologetic email soon followed to the cache owner.

I've been responsible for some, two immediately spring to mind. The first was Stanmore Trail 2 where a micro disappeared through a hole barely large enough for it to fit. The second was a Third Degree Witch cache where I was chasing a FTF. It involved 2 nanos, the first of which was in a tree in a field. When I arrived the light was fading but after a while I spotted the nano, but to reach it I had to grab a branch, pull it down to my level, then reach along to grab the nano. Unfortunately it was at the limit of my reach as I held the branch down, and as I reached for it I just touched it enough to knock it off. Beneath the tree was a lovely covering of grass, but there had been sheep in the field, and there was a good spread of "sheep currants" just where I believe the nano landed. As I said, the light was fading (even more so at this stage), but I did honestly try to find a little black nano amongst an area covered in similar sized, shaped, and coloured objects. Sorry Jon, but eventually it got too dark.

However, the emails (two) I've had to send when I've lost someone's geocoin were much harder to write. That's one of the reasons I rarely move trackables nowadays.

Well just after I took this picture:

d7c65e3e-d2cd-4bf2-8428-913f3b03293a.jpg

This is what happened to Princess Lilly

3acc1ca3-a0be-4059-a98e-b5992f5006e2.jpg

and I was the first one to pick up Princess Lilly, who belonged to a 9 year old girl :(:o:(:o

So I had to buy another Princess of exactly the same style, made up a duplicate TB tag and re-released her, and I'm pleased to say she's still going strong :D:D:D