Keeping coordinates

Vermontish

Recently, I have encountered this several times when first posting a waymark:

The coordinates I entered disappear, the site takes them as 0 0, and I don't notice it until I see the map marker is in the middle of the South Atlantic. When I go back to the information page and re-enter the coordinates, it accepts them, but, or course, doesn't check proximity again.

This would also explain why the system has accepted several waymarks which I should have been warned already existed, only to be declined by the group.

Anyone else?

Edited by Vermontish

The coordinates I entered disappear, the site takes them as 0 0, and I don't notice it until I see the map marker is in the middle of the South Atlantic. When I go back to the information page and re-enter the coordinates, it accepts them, but, or course, doesn't check proximity again.

This would also explain why the system has accepted several waymarks which I should have been warned already existed, only to be declined by the group.

Anyone else?

Maybe in these instances you could check the proximity yourself, to avoid the issue of a duplicate waymark. After you do get the page to accept the correct coordinates, just click on the link at the bottom of the page for "nearest Worldwide Cemeteries", or whatever category you are submitting to. Yes, it's one small extra step for you, but a very helpful feature that can save trouble later on. I often enter fake coords when writing up a waymark page, so it's common for me to check the proximity by using the "nearest" feature.

Anyone else?

Maybe in these instances you could check the proximity yourself, to avoid the issue of a duplicate waymark. After you do get the page to accept the correct coordinates, just click on the link at the bottom of the page for "nearest Worldwide Cemeteries", or whatever category you are submitting to. Yes, it's one small extra step for you, but a very helpful feature that can save trouble later on. I often enter fake coords when writing up a waymark page, so it's common for me to check the proximity by using the "nearest" feature.

I did have that happen because I estimated a location for the write up and pictures, and when I went back to enter the coords from the GPS I didn't trigger the proximity checker.

I wonder if a small proximity checker below the map of the closest in category and closest in Waymarking being there at all times wouldn't be helpful? A small footprint, but very useful.